SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Kirkdale/Thorpewood Ave crossing
ivor

25-03-2010 02:48 PM

Has anybody noticed how difficult and dangerous it is to cross Kirkdale at the junction of Thorpewood Ave, especially at school drop-off or pick-up time? I am glad to hear that the police have been monitoring speed on this road. However, I think it is not just speed but the volume of traffic and inconsiderate behaviour of some drivers that is a problem.

Recently I had been standing at the kerb for ages with my two children when a car stopped to let us cross. I walked in front of this car and was busy checking for oncoming traffic when a friend shouted to me to stop because another car was overtaking the car that had stopped. The overtaking car had to swerve to avoid my daughter in her buggy and then sped off down the hill. It was a terrifying experience.

As far as I know, a petition to have a crossing on this section of Kirkdale was turned down by the council, on the grounds that nobody had been killed or maimed on the road. As my daughter was very nearly the first casualty, I feel strongly that the council should reconsider. Has anyone else had a bad experience crossing this road?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

25-03-2010 05:46 PM

There was I understand a fatal hit and run some years ago here- I completely agree with you that something needs to be done,especially given the proximity to two schools and community facilities such as the library and now potentially the pools. I suspect that the pool refurbishment offers the best opportunity for something to be done here. Why not speak to someone on the stakeholder group or start a petition to have something done about this on that basis?

There is also an inherent danger in cars stopping to let people cross in that way and for that reason ie to prevent the people involved being hit by another car - I have therefore stopped doing that myself.

ivor

26-03-2010 03:05 PM

Thank you, Roz. I hadn't thought of the pools and library angle. I am still hoping that anyone out there who has had a bad experience on this road will post here.

I am a parent at Eliot Bank School and I know many parents there are very concerned about this road. Some parents of year 6 children, who would love their kids to become more independent, are frightened to let them walk to school because of the traffic on Kirkdale. I know one parent who sends her child on a long detour down Kirkdale so that she can cross the road more safely.

Yesterday my son came home with a road safety leaflet called 'Arrive alive'. He also brings home 'Walk to School' sticker charts. All great in theory but if we can't provide safe crossings, especially near a school as big as Eliot Bank, it makes it very difficult for parents to be persuaded to ditch the car and walk.

roz

26-03-2010 04:35 PM

Just a suggestion, but you could raise it also with the school itself or via the parent governors? I am a parent at a local nursery in that area and I have also had difficult experiences at that junction and indeed at the roundabout at the top, so also think that something should be done pretty quickly.

ivor

26-03-2010 04:51 PM

I have just today voted for an Eliot Bank parent govenor who says she is in close contact with Lewisham regarding a crossing or lollipop person for Kirkdale, so will try and speak to her. She may even post here first!

michael

26-03-2010 05:02 PM

Possibly worth speaking to the local councillor who lives in Thorpewood. They had a petition to improve road crossing around here a couple of years ago. http://www.lewishamlibdems.org.uk/news/0...ition.html

No sign of it having any effect yet, but it is worth keeping up the pressure from all direction.

I think there used to be a lollipop person at the top of Kirkdale when I attended Eliot Bank, but it was a little time ago and my memory is not what it once was (or at least I vaguely remember it being better).

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields