SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Problems with Visual Basic- advice sought
roz

28-03-2010 05:27 PM

Any computer bods out there willing to give advice?
I was trying to help someone out with an Excel based analytical toolkit which was emailed to me but it doesn;t seem to work on either Excel 2003 or Excel 2007. On Excel 2003 a message comes up saying that the macros will not all work due to it being an older version of Excel, yet my colleague has himself Excel 2003 and it works perfectly for him. When I try it on Excel 2007 a security message comes up but there is no way of reducing the security levels hence it does not work at all. When I work backwards ie from the output sheet there are constant messages coming up saying Visual Basic compile error- hidden module.

When I use a blank spreadsheet it automatically saves it as an xlms file which I understand to be Vista? Yet I don;t have Vista and neither does my colleague. My own system is Windows XP.

I don't suppose this is easy to diagnose remotely but if anyone does have any ideas why this does not work, and why Excel 2007 seems to be a nightmare full stop, please let me know!
My Excel 2007 is from the Office Home and Student Version meant for non commercial use, so I am wondering whether that is part of the problems, or whether there is some incompatibility issue with my own pc , or whether having both the 2003 and 2007 versions installed is causing a problem.

thanks for any information/advice.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ryananglem

28-03-2010 07:52 PM

Hi Roz - as you guess, very difficult to diagnose without actually seeing the problem - but the whole security level thing is based around that you can actually write some pretty effective viruses using Visual Basic for Excel, so the warning message is useful for protecting your computer in that way.

Regarding some of your problems however, by way of explanation - Microsoft changed the way Excel saves files for Office 2007 (not to be confused with Vista) and that is why it is saved as a .xlms file. You can get it to save as an Office 2003 document by going to the file menu, selecting "save as.." and in the file type drop-down choosing excel 2003 spreadsheet.

The problem with the analytical toolkit your friend is trying to work with is that there may be an add-on to excel that you have not added, or in the visual basic code the appropriate reference is not added. I doubt it is a compatibility problem between versions, if it were - you would receive a message trying to convert your spreadsheet to the latest version. My guess is that your friend needs to install the toolkit. The reason why it is saying hidden module, is that the toolkit will be a compiled version of the code (which essentially means uneditable) and if the spreadsheet is trying to reference something in it - it will not be able to.

Sorry I cant be of more help, but I hope this explains a few things.

BT

29-03-2010 06:40 AM

Can't help you myself ,but there are some very helpful people on the PC Advisor forums who can usually answer most problems.
You just need to register and log in and post your problem.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/

roz

30-03-2010 04:39 PM

Many thanks for all the answers, will take it all on board and look at this website too!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields