SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Conservation Area
admin
Administrator

04-11-2008 02:54 PM

Snoopy - your post has been moved to this existing thread which may be of help.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
snoopy

04-11-2008 03:05 PM

Thanks for that!

What are the particular responsibilities of home owners in a conservation area? Are there restrictions with what can be done to the front yards, etc. Does everything (fencing, new plants, trees, etc), have to approved beforehand? What is the process? Is it exhausting? Many questions from a concerned potential new home owner...

Cheers!

brian

04-11-2008 03:50 PM

Snoopy
Not sure it was ever enforced properly. If I were you would not worry about it.
I know a number of people have put new windows in the front of Victorian houses and nothing ever happened. Should have been sash windows.
In my 23 years there never had any problem

shzl400

04-11-2008 08:04 PM

DR only conservation area upto just south of Ewelme Road - see map earlier in this thread.

As for enforcement, my son's nursery, in a converted Victorian house near Hilly Fields, fitted uPVC replacement windows and were made to change them back to wood by the council.

Sherwood

04-11-2008 10:16 PM

Definitely check before you make any changes.

Sherwood

04-11-2008 10:18 PM
brian

05-11-2008 04:23 PM

I know 120 covered by Conversation Zone.

michael

16-08-2009 02:24 PM

There are plans being developed to extend the Forest Hill Conservation area to include the pools, library, some of Thorpewood Avenue, and Benson Road.

There will be a Public meeting and exhibition to discuss the conservation area with council officers and the consultants who have prepared the appraisal and its recommendations.
Saturday 5 September 2009, 12noon - 3pm
Forest Hill Library, Dartmouth Road

Alternatively there is a questionaire available at http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Environment/P...eViews.htm

Full details of the plans for the conservation area http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Environment/P...ForestHill

mattluke

16-08-2009 06:35 PM

Have just had the proposal for the new conservation areas in Forest Hill. I live in one of the areas, so what does it really mean in practical day to day terms for someone to live in a conservation area? Does it just effect you if you want to change the exteriors of your building or is their more to it. Do people fell it is a positive thing for these areas.?

Johnc

16-08-2009 08:31 PM

Would it not make sense to include the 6 properties between 156 Devonshire Road and the Nature reserve

roz

16-08-2009 10:16 PM

Living in a conservation area is a bit of a mixed blessing depending on your point of view - and pocket. There are stricter rules in respect of what you can do to your property however given that planning rules have become more relaxed of late in respect of the scope of permitted development, as you generally have to go to planning/conservation area consent for most changes in a conservation area, it would also restrict someone doing something stupid to their property in design and aesthetic terms hence can preserve the character of the area and boost property values. In this market its probably good to get as much help in that department as you can. That being said, sometimes not all planning departments are necessarily an arbiter of good design......

Mike

17-08-2009 04:55 PM

it's good for property values to be in the conservation area - not good if you want to pull down your Victorian house and build something modern.

roz

17-08-2009 09:21 PM

Depending on the timing this may pose a further interesting challenge for the design of the new pools. Anyone any views on that? Theoretically it should take longer to implement a conservation area than obtain planning for a new pool, but thats theory for you - not practice.

Satchers

17-08-2009 10:55 PM

Well that will depend on whether the proposals "preserve and enhance the character and appearance" of the Conservation Area in question?

In reality in this case I think it won't make much difference as any Pools proposals already have to demonstrate that they didn't have a detrimental effect on the setting of two Listed Buildings.

Londondrz

18-08-2009 06:58 AM

I am already in the conservation area and notice very little. I was under the impression that TV dishes were not suppsed to be on the front of buildings, some of the houses in my road are covered in them.

B?atrice

19-08-2009 02:10 PM

I filled in the questionnaire regarding the proposed extended conservation area in FH and suggested to include some Edward Christmas houses.
Yes, Christmas houses can be found scattered but if they are of interest (and they should) there is a somewhat concentrated little area around Perry Vale, Gaynesford Road and some on Sunderland road.
About the article 4 in the proposal about protecting the front gardens I find that a hard one. Just because you moved in a few years ago and had time to get your off-street parking done or your extension before this proposed article came into being...I am all for more rules as to how it should look so it doesn't become all altered and horridly modern but fairness need to be part of conservation rules too.

robin orton

19-08-2009 02:42 PM

Don't a lot of people nowadays say that paving over front gardens is undesirable anyway, on environmental as well as aesthetic grounds - because it destroys wildlife habitat and, by adding to rainwater run-off, puts additional pressure on the drains?

Contrary Mary

19-08-2009 05:06 PM

I could be wrong, but isn't there now some new by-law about needing planning permission for a new driveway which was brought in precisely because of the rainwater run-off issue, and therefore nothing to do with conservation areas? Or was that just a trumpeted proposal that came to nothing?

NewForester

20-08-2009 02:14 PM

My understanding is that a conservation area means that you are supposed to get planning permission for any changes to your property which are visible from the road and that you need permission to fell or prune any tree over 1.2m tall AND 100mm diameter. Also, TV aerials and satellite dishes can be erected to the rear of your property, but not at the front; my neighbour was made to take his satelite dish down.

The current conservation area is not covered by an Article 4 declaration, although the consultation document proposes changing this. This gives the council extra powers to enforce the conservation area and make you change your uPVC windows back to wood.

roz

27-08-2009 09:32 PM

The consultation document on the proposed extended areas seems to suggest that the Council can impose changes retrospectively, ie to make people replace upvc windows with replicas of the original sashes etc. The thing is, can they do this legitimately given that at the time this work was done there was no issue of non compliance? Whilst it would improve the character of the area this may cost a great deal of money especially if people bought the properties after the work was done. What protections or recourse would they have in this case.?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Proposed Conservation Area: Perry Vale ‘Christmas’ houses and further north blushingsnail 2 4,565 25-10-2018 05:13 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  Conservation area extension petersutton01 3 5,854 17-08-2010 08:05 PM
Last Post: davidwhiting
  Conservation area breaches loca 20 24,256 21-04-2009 11:46 AM
Last Post: brian
  Conservation area, planning and ... the pools? ForestGump 3 5,698 17-06-2008 01:36 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Threat to Conservation Area Teresa 34 31,212 19-02-2008 02:36 PM
Last Post: brian