SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Planning: Nursery at Liphook Crescent
Les

09-03-2012 02:49 PM

My reflections on the meeting are:

- It was a good day for democracy in the sense of there being a good turn out. There is nothing worse than apathy. I agree with an earlier poster that the time of the meeting perhaps made it difficult for those with young families to attend. Certainly the demographic was different to that of the fireworks display.
- I thought councillor Feakes did a very good job of controlling the debate, which risked getting out of control at times.
- A key point for me is that TLERA have been very selective in pursuing the restrictive convenant approach to a business in the estate to achieve their objective. There are estimated to be 50+ businesses operating out of the estate, some arguably causing more nuisance than the nursery.
- As with the planning application, at no point was any real evidence of nuisance presented, with TLERA pointing to the "this is the thin end of the wedge" argument, which I don't accept given that planning permission would need to be sought for changes of use.
- It is bitterly ironic that the first success of TLERA was to prevent the construction of a block of flats on Horniman Drive, and supporting the construction of the Horniman School, which causes 10x as much nuisance. I'm not opposed to the school, but my point is that TLERA are selective in their targets for objection.

At the end of the day (literally), the committee won a confidence vote overwhelmingly: not a surprise given the support for TLERA's good work in general (who could argue against this). However, I hope this episode will encourage them to reflect on engagement with the membership before taking action in the future, and will encourage a new generation of representatives to stand for the next election of officers.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Planning Application: Nursery at Liphook Crescent - Les - 09-03-2012 02:49 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Liphook Crescent Jon Lloyd 5 8,007 18-03-2009 11:11 AM
Last Post: Alison