SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Planning: Nursery at Liphook Crescent
Saddened

08-02-2012 11:17 AM

Thank you for your replies, Les, Loncdl and Mrs R. and I am glad to see that the suggestion of winding up TLERA was not serious – and also that other people appreciate all the TLERA volunteers do for us.

I take your point about logic, MrsR and you have made me think further....

If you start up an ebay business, or a consultancy, or a plumbing business (to name just a few) without checking carefully - then you are taking a risk on yourself.

If you start a nursery with a potential 24 children and therefore a potential 48 parents, not to mention a potential 6 staff - then that means that you are putting a possible 78 people’s happiness and security at risk. And I know only too well how desperate one can get about good quality childcare – little matters more, when you have to go to work with small children - or in the present jobs market for nursery workers.

To rush on with a business in order to make money for yourself, before you seek the required permissions, so putting 78 people’s security at risk, is thoroughly irresponsible and selfish. And then to be involved in a campaign which allows it to be said that you are, “a young family being driven from the hill,” is really not on. (The children in the family may be young, but the owner, at age 50, is old enough to know better, so it is a misleading plea for pity.)

The fact is that the nursery opened without planning permission and without the care required when you are involving a potential 78 people. That they received planning permission later and are now trying to get the covenant changed does not alter the irresponsibility and selfishness.

So it’s the moral argument that stops me supporting Piplings, not the strictly logic one, because MrsR has a point!

MrsR also says:
“I do think that Piplings should have sorted out their position with regards to the covenant before opening their business, but like plenty of other businesses on the estate, they didn't.” In answer to your questions:

“Should they be punished for this?” - They have not been punished. Neighbours are exercising their right to take action. That is not punishment. It is a fact that if you rush into business without doing your homework you might lose - not a punishment. (On second thoughts, perhaps it is a punishment – but self-inflicted.)

Should they have to shut? If the court says so, then yes. At the moment I understand that it is a long way away from court and there is no order to close. If they really are closing now - then that is the owners’ decision.

Lose their business? See last answer.

Staff lose their jobs? Ditto. I feel very sorry for the staff.

Children lose their home from home environment?” Well, that is the saddest thing of all. As in all matters of irresponsibility in business, the most vulnerable suffer the most. (Think bankers..... sub-prime.....now homeless.)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Planning Application: Nursery at Liphook Crescent - Saddened - 08-02-2012 11:17 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Liphook Crescent Jon Lloyd 5 8,009 18-03-2009 11:11 AM
Last Post: Alison