SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Planning: Nursery at Liphook Crescent
michael

30-01-2012 04:09 PM

Gingernuts, I think you are wrong on a number of points:

Gingernuts wrote:
Should Piplings sell up and move on, a less desirable proposition could be put forward by the new owners and just waved through. ‘Oh, but this is unlikely’ I hear you say. Not so, once a precedent has been set it is so much easier to make amendments. This should concern anyone who lives on the estate.

If the nursery ceases operation the entire house reverts to a single dwellinghouse (one of the planning conditions). Any further change would need to go to a planning committee, even a doctor's surgery would require planning permission.

Gingernuts wrote:
What next....neon lights advertising the business?

Of course not, but then I don't think there are any restrictions on external lighting on residential properties. There are possibly more restrictions on external illumination for business purposes, so you are probably best off with a nursery which has no external signs of use as a nursery.

Gingernuts wrote:
What next....remove windows and main entrance to provide easier access for the disabled

Again no basis in reality, but you might be aware that other properties in Liphook have been altered to allow easier access for the disabled residents. I don't think this is something you would really want to legislate against, nor is there anything about it in the covenant.

Gingernuts wrote:
What next....Change of hours

would also require a new planning application. Due to the restrictions placed on the owners by the existing permissions.

Gingernuts wrote:
Had the Piplings retained the status of their home as residential and took in a few children as a small childminding concern, I doubt if anyone would have complained...

This house is still their home as well as being a nursery. Both a childminder and a nursery would constitute a business and could be closed down by the same restrictive covenant. Other businesses on the estate may well find themselves falling foul of the same covenant that fails to distinguish between any type of business, other than doctors and solicitors. I believe these professions were singled out not because of the traffic generated (although noise may be a consideration) but because they were nice middle-class professions.

Gingernuts wrote:
I was glad the Tewkesbury Lodge letter followed to address the balance in the name of fairness

I am also pleased that TLERA finally explained to their members what their position was, but I was disappointed to read some of the points they made, some of which I did not feel were fair or truthful (i.e. if you allow this then Sainsbury's will be allowed to build on the Triangle).

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Planning Application: Nursery at Liphook Crescent - michael - 30-01-2012 04:09 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Liphook Crescent Jon Lloyd 5 8,004 18-03-2009 11:11 AM
Last Post: Alison