SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Planning: Nursery at Liphook Crescent
No Longer Registered

27-01-2012 03:19 PM

I think that the battle lines have become somewhat entrenched but at least some facts are beginning to emerge.

To summarise on one side we have the owners of the business, the parents using the nursery and various other supporters.

On the other we have some neighbours who want to enforce a restrictive covenant that does not allow this type of business.

Some people are unhappy about the role played by the local residents' association.

It seems fairly common ground that the nursery operated to a high standard, there is a shortage of nursery spaces locally and some of the neighbours found the activities of the nursery had a negative impact on the quality of their lives.

It also seems agreed that the restrictive covenant is valid and enforceable.

Now let's put forward some alternative situations which are all hypothetical.

1) I run a charity for autistic and other disabled children who normally have to attend a special school. My charity provides care for those children during the school holidays allowing the parents some respite and/or to go to work. Some of these children can be very disruptive and difficult to manage. Should I be allowed to provide those facilities from a house in Liphook Crescent?

2) I run a charity for young offenders who have come from troubled homes. I provide a youth club type facility. Should I be allowed to provide that service from a house in Liphook Crescent?

3) I notice the lack of hotel accommodation in the area and decide that I want to run a bed and breakfast business from my house in Liphook Crescent. Should I be allowed to do this?

4) I live in Liphook Crescent and I am made unemployed. I decide to set up a removal business from my home. It is just me and my van which I park on the street. Should I be allowed to do this?

5) I am employed as a mechanic in a garage. To help with my income I buy and sell second hand cars. I park the cars I am selling outside my house in Liphook Crescent. Should I be allowed to do this?

All of these activities would provide a service to the local community. However, if you allowed all of them then you would soon change the character of Liphook Crescent.

If you say a nursery should be allowed why shouldn't all of these other activities?

It is not unreasonable for someone to buy a house or a flat based on the character of a street. If they do this it is not unreasonable for them to want to maintain that character. If they have a legal right that help to maintain that character it is not unreasonable for them to enforce those rights.

We live in a democracy so let's all have our own opinions and express them but let's also respect the opinions of others. Trial by blogger is not very edifying.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Planning Application: Nursery at Liphook Crescent - 152047 - 27-01-2012 03:19 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Liphook Crescent Jon Lloyd 5 8,008 18-03-2009 11:11 AM
Last Post: Alison