SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Planning: Nursery at Liphook Crescent
newcomer

18-03-2010 05:15 PM

I've got to admit - when I first read this post my initial reaction was "oh good" because the nurseries in F. Hill are so horribly oversubscribed and we really do need more. I was recently laughed out of one nursery because I am already heavily pregnant and the nursery has a 18 month to 2 year waiting list (they let me know that I should have applied AS SOON AS I knew I was pregnant, even before the 12-week scan).

Apart from that personal bias however, while I don't know how much noise a nursery makes in reality, I imagine that at least it's better than some of the alternatives (which wouldn't require planning permission). For example, in the past I have lived beside (A) a house-full of teenage kids who had parties that lasted all night, and (B) more recently, beside inconsiderate neighbours who played loud music in the garden at every opportunity and had blazing rows every other weekend. I would rather have a few babies next door anyday - at least they'll all be gone by 6pm or so!

As the property in question is originally a family home, it is always likely to have at least a few kids running round outside. Even if you hate the sound of kids at play (and I agree with Londondrz here - personally I think it's a lovely sound) then it's worth noting that older kids often make more noise playing in the garden than babies/toddlers do, so noise levels might actually be lower with a nursery than they would be if the property remained as a pure 'family home'.

As long as the potential traffic problems can be addressed, then you might also find that living near to a nursery is a boon rather than a bane. A great nursery nearby can sometimes help to push property prices up (or, if not prices, then at least demand) and so many people will see proximity to a nursery as an important USP in a baby-boom area like SE23.

PS, by the way, I'm now planning to look at nanny-share/childminder options instead, so I have no personal ulterior motive in being supportive of this proposal!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Liphook Crescent planning application - newcomer - 18-03-2010 05:15 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Liphook Crescent Jon Lloyd 5 8,009 18-03-2009 11:11 AM
Last Post: Alison