SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (34): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »
Planning: Nursery at Liphook Crescent
roz

22-01-2012 04:28 PM

A restrictive covenant is one thing, but its certainly possible to turn a blind eye to many of these as many will have origins in the past and not be really applicable now. Most people probably have no idea what restrictive covenants are attached to their own properties.

I am sure by the letter of the law this is a 'correct' decision but all the signs are and were that this is a concerted attempt to bring down this particular business. To me its just another sign of how much people in this country dislike children and do not welcome any child related activities.

I wasn't aware this had been going on but had I been I would have spoken my mind to those people I know in this residents association.

As far as other business up there are concerned, I would be very concerned if I were them. I dont see any evidence of people co existing happily up there at all. It seems to be full of narrow minded petty individuals who have too much time on their hands are just keen on protecting their own fiefdom. There is still a shortage of suitable childcare in this area which is why some of us are paying top dollar for the privilege of being able to work. The closure of this business is extremely sad. Shame shame shame on the people who forced this to happen.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sharon

22-01-2012 04:39 PM

How sad ,maybe Forest Hill is not such a nice area to live afterall ,if theres nasty people complaining about children !! I hope they dont believe in karma Sad

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

22-01-2012 05:40 PM

I'd love to hear what real complaints the neighbours had with the nursery once it was up and running as opposed to those that were raised before it was given planning permission. I hope they had some valid and significant ones since they have just destroyed someone's business and income while making life more difficult for a number of local families.

I also hope those that brought the action have kept their noses clean as far as their own enjoyment of their property is concerned because I know what I'd be spending my newly found spare time doing if I was the owner of Piplings.

Londondrz

22-01-2012 06:06 PM

How very sad. I hope the individuals who supported the closure get a chance to reflect on their selfish attitude.

Closing a nursery, how very grown up.

Shame on them.

roz

22-01-2012 08:18 PM

Forest Hill is a great area to live in however some parts are defintely turning into Royston Vasey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royston_Vasey

This post was last modified: 22-01-2012 08:22 PM by roz.

DerbyHillTop

22-01-2012 08:38 PM

I'd just like to know the individuals who have paid for this action, so that I can make sure that I and my family never ever do any random act of kindness, as they deserve none.

Jason

22-01-2012 08:38 PM

As a parent of a child that is attending this nursery, I am shocked to find of the lengths that the neighbours have gone to to close this nursery down.
The neighbours (with the assistance of the TLERA) have taken out an injunction against the owners and they have had to go in front of a judge to defend their nursery.

It is very difficult to even sense a nursery is there in the street - it is one of the quietest and well hidden gems in Forest Hill. The nursery was recently judged Outstanding in all 17 areas by OFSTED. A quote from their report says: 'Children are cared for in a warm, welcoming learning environment where high regard is given to promoting children's active learning'.

This action has been undertaken without the knowledge of most residents in the local community (even most that live in Liphook Crescent) and is thoroughly a bad thing for the community.

Please join us in supporting Piplings Nursery.Thumbsup

roz

22-01-2012 11:19 PM

The problem is I dont think the decision can be reversed now unless a very expensive solicitor can find some reason why the original decison was wrong. Its also hard to believe that this didnt have a lot of support as the TLRA must have had a mandate to proceed with the court action. Or perhaps a few more reasonable people just werent consulted. I think though taking action to enforce a covenant is very expensive and time consuming and can only imagine that it took a lot of resolve to do this as well as a considerable sum of money. All to put a young family out of business.

This was a completely poisonous and bitter action.

Information on the persons who took the action should be a matter of public record at some point in the future and presumably there will be a written up judgement of some sort so no doubt the truth will out eventually.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

23-01-2012 08:30 AM

Can I suggest vigorous, vocal and well publicised campaign of support for Piplings backed by as many people as possible? There may be little that can be done to overturn the recent decision of the courts but it'd be great to get the story in the papers and make the people who brought this action as uncomfortable as possible.

If the people for SE23 can show out in numbers against Dominoes it'd be good to see them supporting a great, well needed local business.

wayfarer

23-01-2012 08:59 AM

As this is an open forum, and arguements from both sides are actively encouraged, I look forward to reading comments from those that felt this action was necessary.

NewForester

23-01-2012 11:25 AM

It would seem likely that this restrictive covenant applies to all properties which were part of the Tewkesbury Lodge estate. If I was Piplings, I would seek the support of neighbours to challenge the covenant; if enough of the neighbours felt it was in the interests of their community, I suspect a Lands Tribunal would lift the covenant. There are plenty of sites with information on how to do this.

One of the arguments advanced in this thread was that the nursery would adversely affect property values; I suspect that the fact that TLERA may be seen as family hostile may have a more significant impact.

Londondrz

23-01-2012 12:35 PM

Speaking to a few people this morning whilst dropping the eldest at school it seems that none of them are aware of this and yet live in the area.

Very strange.

hoona

23-01-2012 12:52 PM

I would happily support Piplings. Show me a petition and I'll sign.

ladywotlunches

23-01-2012 12:55 PM

Both our association road rep and an officer of the committee knew nothing until I mentioned it to them either. Whatever has been done, its involved very few people from TLERA, without consultation and has certainly not been done in the interest of the wider membership.

Wayfarer, I too would be interested to hear the other side of the story. I've tried asking, but nothing seems to be forthcoming.

Sherwood

23-01-2012 02:18 PM

We have a similar restrictive covenant applying to houses in my road. But I do not want it enforced as it would prevent me from running a business from home if I choose.

Presumably all other businesses in the area will be closed down as well.

DerbyHillTop

23-01-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:
I would happily support Piplings. Show me a petition and I'll sign it.

me too

ryananglem

23-01-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:
I would happily support Piplings. Show me a petition and I'll sign it.

Same here

pipling

23-01-2012 05:38 PM

[Names below later removed at Pipling's request - admin]

This issue is not a completely done deal yet, but it’s very, very near. As someone has posted elsewhere this is a shoot yourself in the foot scenario for the community on the hill. The TLERA residents association ‘executive’ headed by [removed] and now chaired by [removed] took it upon themselves to drive this Nursery into the ground from even before day 1 and took it upon themselves to research into Restrictive Covenants and to identify ‘someone’ who they could use to enforce it – the ‘someone’ they eventually found after trawling local Land Titles’ dates was the very willing [removed]and [removed] next door to the Nursery on Liphook Crescent. This is now entirely the [removed]'s legal action – to destroy the Nursery – egged on by some very anti-community neighbours and of course, still manipulating behind the scenes, the TLERA executive.

If you care about excellent childcare provision in the area…please….you really need to stand up and be counted. If you didn’t know what the secretive TLERA have been up to… stand up and be shouting! Many Parents and those we count among our precious friends on the hill (are there more of you out there – we hope - Please say hello?!) are in tears about the demolition of this quiet gentle Nursery.

gingernuts

23-01-2012 06:27 PM

I've been reading this thread with interest and see no reason why direct neighbours shoudn't have every right within legal limits to fight against having a business located next door. I'm also disturbed that given the anger displayed on this site by self interested parents who are affected by the loss but not by the distruption, the Piplings (is that their name?) have publicly named those seeking legal action. Shame on you.

It would be interesting to know when the Piplings bought their house and if they had intentions of running a nursery at that time? Covenants are in place to protect neighbourhoods from noisy businesses. It would be down to the solicitor who sold them the house originally to notify the buyer of the covenant. If the intention was to run a business from the premises at that time the solicitor could be at fault. If not, the Piplings are chancing it - and the neighbours have the right to fight it. Like it or not.

pipling

23-01-2012 07:06 PM

Gingernuts returns - the person who started this thread in the first place. All names and addresses of objectors to the nursery are already in the public domain and have been for some time (but I think you may already know this).

Pages (34): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Liphook Crescent Jon Lloyd 5 7,783 18-03-2009 10:11 AM
Last Post: Alison