SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Best Doctors in HOP?
BarCar

20-12-2007 05:50 PM

My wife and I are new to the area (from this week) and one of the endless list of tasks is registering with a new GP.

According to the NHS Direct website our closest surgeries are:

- Brockley Road Surgery
- The Jenner Practice (Stanstead Road)
- Honor Oak Group Practice (Turnham Road)
- Hilly Fields Medical Centre (Adelaide Avenue)
- Forest Hill Group Practice (Forest Hill Road)

The first seems very small (only 2 GPs) but is closest to our new home, the second seems much bigger (and offers lots of services) but is a bit further away and I can't find much info about the others.

Can anybody comment on their experience of these surgeries? I guess my specific concerns are quality of the GPs, availability of appointments and what additional facilities/services they offer in the practice.

I guess I could ask the same question regarding NHS Dentists too...

Thanks for any info!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nevermodern

20-12-2007 05:54 PM

Hi, BarCar. Welcome to the area. My experience is that regardless of who you prefer, you're actually in the catchement area of only one of them, and you'll have no choice (that's what happened to me anyway!) Dentists are different... Smile

Ghis

20-12-2007 06:42 PM

I go to the Brockley Surgery which is OK once you know that if you want an appointment you need:

A: to have their number on speed dial and start calling at 7:55am, then you will get through and will get an appointment in the morning. (You cannot book any appointment in advance)

or

B: You wait outside the surgery just before 7:50, then you will either get the 8:50 or 9am appointment.

My neighbours actually prefer to go to the Jenner Practice and have switched from the Brockley Surgery to Jenner but I am not sure that with the GP shortage it is still an option.

As I said I have no problems with the Brockkley Surgery as long as I follow the rules above.

Ghis

20-12-2007 06:44 PM

Oh and sorry forgot:

WELCOME to HOP!

It actually really nice around here.
We have lived in Peckham followed by Forest Hill and then bought our house in HOP and must say we really enjoy leaving there. We are getting more and more shops and places to eat opening which is really good.

louisebalmain

20-12-2007 07:11 PM

We go to the Jenner & find it an excellent practice. But they do have a catchment area, so it depends whether you are within this.

gemmar

21-12-2007 09:17 AM

We use the Jenner Practice and have found it a very good practice. You can usually get an appointment at a convenient time before or after work, they have an automated booking service. As others said there is a catchment area for the Jenner so will need to check out if you are in this area.

Welcome to Honor Oak Park!

Baboonery

21-12-2007 09:57 AM

There are odd, gerrymandered catchment areas.
For example, I live on Dartmouth Road, in the centre of Forest Hill. I am in the catchment area of...the surgery by Sydenham station. NHS Direct says it is the fifth closest to me. I'm not in the catchment area of any of the four closer ones, apparently.

kingkong

21-12-2007 11:48 AM

My wife and I are registered at the Honor Oak group practice on Turnham road, which is further away than some listed here, but we like it a lot and can always get an appointment when needed. The previous owner of our house recommended it to us.
My wife is pregnant and they have looked after her very well.

BarCar

21-12-2007 04:36 PM

Thanks all for your welcome and your tips.

Jenner Practice's website tells me that we are in their catchment area but their receptionist begs to differ and wouldn't let us register. I'm underwhelmed that Brockley Road are still using the primitive "early morning scramble" technique for booking appointments - I've not had a GP with that system for years.

I might give HOGP on Turnham Road a try although I've a sinking feeling we're going to be stuck with Brockley Road.

Cheers.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields