SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Royal Mail Delivery of Packages
Satchers

02-03-2010 07:40 PM

There was a lot about these 'pretend' attempts to deliver parcels in the news just before Christmas.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2...ur-parcels

It is rubbish of them, but it isn't all of them. When you do get a good regular postman (as we seem to at the moment) it makes a lot of difference. I do get the feeling though that someone seems hell bent on ruining the post office and royal mail deliberately. If Amazon and Ebay hadn't come along when they did I think they would already be sunk!

I am at the point where I begrudge them my money when I have to post something and I REALLY begrudge having to spend one second in that post office above WH Smiths. Although the Catford Post office did its best to lose me as a customer today.....

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

02-03-2010 07:41 PM

ryananglem wrote:
DHL on the other hand left a parcel at the local shop, didnt tell me that they had been, and on their tracking system it came up as 'delivered and signed for'. It took 2 days of phone calls to track that one down.

Ditto on that - they left a package at entirely the wrong address and their cleaner, in all innocence, signed for it. Only because we know most of our neighbours did they drop it round for us, but not until a couple of days later, as they were away. Meanwhile, DHL were swearing blind it was delivered and signed for.

Contrary Mary

02-03-2010 10:35 PM

Redalways:

I take your point -

but surely if the Post Office have been notified that you have made alternatives to "return to delivery office" available, they have no excuse to leave your parcel out of the van or to say it isn't worth their while to take it to somewhere they can't deliver it - because you've made sure that they can! Smile

And you have better grounds for a complaint that will stick if your specified wishes are consistently ignored, by management, postie, whoever.

Just offering a way to get your parcels, and if not, get whoever's responsible. Smile

Redalways

03-03-2010 08:08 AM

I don' think that you are understanding the situation here.

The package was never put in the van as, despite me paying for home delivery. the Royal Mail never attempted to deliver it.

NewForester

03-03-2010 02:01 PM

Roz,
While I am sure that there are management issues within Royal Mail, it's not true that all the problems lie with them. Having worked on the sorting machinery many years ago, we were not allowed to sort down to routing / house order because the Union would call the postie out on strike, so the final sorting of post had to be done by hand thus 'preserving jobs'. Companies like Deutsche Post and TNT do not have this limitation and are thus more cost efficient and this is one of the reasons they can undercut the Royal Mail.

roz

03-03-2010 03:17 PM

I actually don't see anything wrong with preserving jobs within reason. If postie jobs went there would be fewer of them and hence a worst service? And presumably as the local postie knew the round there would be a more logical' sorting of the post as not necessarily more efficient to do everything in house order- for example blocks of flats may come in the middle of the round but it may be more efficient to do that last.

I would still like to see some of these companies actually delivering a letter to Stornoway for the cost of a Royal Mail stamp- these other companies can cherry pick the best routes and charge competitively but what of the less popular and profitable routes, such as the Scottish Highlands and Islands?

admin
Administrator

03-03-2010 05:43 PM

I suspect we're veering Beyond SE23 ...

Londondrz

03-03-2010 05:59 PM

.....and if we very to far, like Royal Mail, we will never get thereSmile

Londondrz

03-03-2010 06:01 PM

..and even if we veer.....you get my driftBlush

canadianlisa

03-03-2010 07:26 PM

I also had this happen to me on Saturday. It is extremely annoying as I know I was up and awake and in the lounge (I have a small baby so am up at 7 a.m. on a Saturday). Our buzzer is very loud so there is not way I would have missed it. It is a real pain to get to the post office with a buggy due to the steps on the underpass. I did complain at the post office and was told that the message will be passed on to the postman.

Applespider

06-03-2010 06:33 PM

While it is a complete pain in the tonsils, especially if you've taken the day off work to be at home, I can see it from the postie's point of view.

They do have longer routes that take longer to get round these days so most deliveries are after workers head off on commutes. With so many dual-breadwinner homes, postmen probably have a pretty fair idea of which houses are occupied or not during the day. When they're sorting, it's not entirely surprising that they don't bother taking those parcels that they're pretty sure they're going to have to lug back anyhow.

It would be good if they could just tell you that the parcel was available immediately from the sorting office rather than maintaining the farce by telling you to wait 24 hours, mind you!

davidwhiting

07-03-2010 10:12 AM

I use postal services and couriers a lot.

Royal mail is far from being the worst! There is still something left of the public service ethos, despite the battering the workforce have taken over the years. It is a great credit to the service.

Readers of this forum might like to remember that Royal Mail was once profitable, but the profits were creamed off into the consolidate fund by the Treasury on the 'golden goose' principal of public finance. The market was then opened to competition without much thinking through of the issues, on the simplistic view that competition would magically drive up efficiency.

Red67

07-03-2010 01:36 PM

Anyone wanting a glimpse of the other side of Royal Mail (ie the postmans view) might be interested in this little book published (by an anonymous postie) last year:

'Dear Granny Smith - a letter from your postman'
by Roy Mayall (!)

Husband used to be a postie so i have a rather more informed view of the life of your normal Royal Mail worker, and i bought him this book for Christmas - it was serialised on Radio 4 late last year so you might have heard a few snippets.....anyway, it's only small (120 pages) and a great and moving read.... just don't order it from Amazon, eh??!!!!

Red67

07-03-2010 04:16 PM

http://roymayall.wordpress.com/

oh, and here's the Roy Mayall blog for anyone who's interested.... there's some stuff back in the archive about the regulation weight of sack that posties can carry.....etc
interesting reading....

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lack of Royal Mail letter box deliveries in Forest Hill lately Scorpion 3 1,604 01-11-2023 10:24 AM
Last Post: Scorpion
  Royal Mail postal delays samuelsen 1 3,134 31-12-2021 03:35 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Royal Mail Delivery Problems midlife 31 27,483 30-03-2016 01:41 PM
Last Post: samuelsen