SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Royal Mail Delivery of Packages
Redalways

01-03-2010 02:44 PM

I went to Forest Hill sorting office to pick up a package and as well as being given the package that I went to pick up I was also (to my surprise) given another package that was meant for me at my address.

When I got back home, after about half an hour, the postie came and put a "collection" red card through my door without ringing the doorbell.

The red card was in respect of the package I had picked up earlier. This suggests that the postie had left the package in the sorting office and simply delivered the red card in order to shorten the time of his round.

I can't think of any other explanation. Tried to ring the sorting office for an explanation but there was no answer.

Anyone else had these problems ?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Happysnapper

01-03-2010 03:04 PM

I've had a card put through my door subsequently. I know it was subsequently because I was working at home at that time and was in the flat all day.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

01-03-2010 03:05 PM

You've got to admire their efficiency on this occasion!

If they were really clever they would do exactly this in the situation where there is a parcel waiting for collection, it would help remind you to pick up your package and save them time.

dbboy

01-03-2010 06:08 PM

Had an attempted early morning delivery before 8am, and the usual red card. When I phoned up they delivered next day. On arrival still a very short soft ring of the door bell.

The other day was upstairs working, door bell rings and start going downstairs to answer. By the time I got to the front door the postie was already starting to walk away down the path.

In general they are not bad, but seems best to try and get to know your postie, particularly if you work at home.

calvin

01-03-2010 06:36 PM

Redalways - are you quite certain that there isn't another package waiting for you? I have been given multiple packages at the sorting office (that had arrived a week apart) when there was only a red card for the most recent, but haven't had the experience you describe.

eleven

01-03-2010 06:36 PM

I often find a card has been left when I've been in the house. It really, REALLY annoys me and I keep meaning to write and complain (not sure who to though...). If they do ring/knock, they do it very quietly and/or don't wait long enough for you to actually get to the door.

BT

02-03-2010 08:09 AM

Do they still say to allow so many hours before picking up.,It used to be something like 4 hours but it has probably been extended since I moved away.
Here in Norwich I've also had cards through when we have been at home. Just before Xmas we had one while we were out which said to allow 48hrs before collection. What on earth are they doing with the parcels for 48hrs? Surely the Postie takes them back the same day.
Anyhow not wanting to stand in a long queue in the freezing cold I went on line and requested redelivery 48hrs later (the earliest available) which meant I still got it on the same day but without freezing to death.

Londondrz

02-03-2010 09:33 AM

Has happened a number of times to me and the unofficial story is that the posties are not able to carry the amount of parcels they are being asked to. Personaly I blame internet shopping.

If you postie was just carrying letters there would be no issue but if they are also delivering from Amazon, HMV, etc etc there little bags are going to be bulging.

The person I spoke to hoped that one day the management at The Post Office would admit to the fact and deal with it.

Their only response so far has been to tell postal workers to deliver what they can, leave the rest at the depot and put a red card through our door so we can do the rest.

ChrisR

02-03-2010 10:59 AM

Redalways - you have confirmed what I have been suspicious about for some time. I too have had several occasions in the last year or so when I have received a "sorry you were out" card when I have been in all the time.

Dbboy/Eleven - I agree many of the posties do not allow enough time for you to get to the front door. I find this particulary with the van drivers who deliver larger packages, and usually much earlier than the posties on foot. They don't seem to consider that they may be waking somebody up! I had a card on Saturday morning saying they had tried to deliver at 7.10am. I had woken up around this time so the door bell had probably woken me, but as they only seem to ring once you don't realise why! I agree it is good to get to know your postie. The chance to would be great however we seem to have someone different every few days!

My other gripe is trying to arrange redelivery. It usually takes several calls on the 0845 number given on the card to get to speak to somebody as the calls are "auto answered", but if the Delivery Office don't pick up the call within so many minutes you then get disconnected. I would rather ring a direct number and get an enganged tone than paying for multiple calls each time. It also seem crazy that with modern technology you can't request redelivery online within 48 hours!

newcomer

02-03-2010 12:04 PM

Oh, I'm glad that it isn't just me that this has happened to. I rarely work from home but, when I do, I work in a room that is right beside the front door. During the 'snowy' period earlier this year, I was working from home and I heard the post fall on the mat (no knock, no doorbell ring) and, being glad of the distraction from work, went to the hall to find a 'You were not in' card together with the letters. I quickly opened the door and called after the postie, who was already half-way down the road. He admitted that he didn't actually have the parcel with him but I got him to agree to bring the parcel the next day (when I was also going to be working from home), as it was difficult for me to walk to the post office to collect the parcel as I'm heavily pregnant and the main reason I was staying at home was because I was too nervous in the snow/ice to commute.

True to his word, he did bring the parcel the next day (for which I was very grateful - as it was a lead I needed for my printer), and I do have sympathy with the postpeople as 90% of the time I won't be at home so the 'odds' are that they will have to lug the parcel to and from my house for nothing, but it still doesn't seem right that they make this presumption without even attempting to deliver in the first place. On this particular occasion, it could have been particularly annoying if I had not caught the postman in time, as I had specifically paid extra for 'express' delivery as I needed the printer cable for homeworking.

roz

02-03-2010 12:36 PM

However bad the Royal Mail may be, they can't be as bad as Citylink who stopped a passerby in our road and asked them to put a card through our letterbox! I saw and heard the whole thing from an upstairs window. I'd waited in the whole day for this particular parcel then they don't even stop.

I have to say having watched a programme on the Royal Mail (not the one about pilfering) I have to sympathise with staff who have to make their rounds within a certain time. Parcels do tend to slow things down, and weigh a ton, making the whole delivery a lot longer. I do know also that some staff use their own cars at their own expense to assist deliveries for this reason.

Our local post girl is excellent, as is the guy who normally delivers parcels, albeit early in the morning. Until there are significant management culture reforms at the RM I would say just live with it, as complaints will only result in frontline staff being pressurised further. Lets all bear in mind also that we do still get a decent service much below the actual cost of providing it.

Redalways

02-03-2010 12:44 PM

I did weigh up whether I should complain.

In the end I didn't put in a complaint.

The reason is that I suspect that if I complained future parcels/letters may mysteriously be lost.

It's a pity. A few years ago we used to have a good service - but its been left behind.

Contrary Mary

02-03-2010 03:39 PM

I don't know whether you've actually looked at those cards in any detail, but if you do...

They have tick boxes to say what has happened to your parcel, one of which is "has been returned to the delivery office".

The others are:

"has been left with your neighbour at (address)"

and

"has been left in your designated safe place".

I am not sure how to go about informing the post office of which neighbour/safe place to leave things with/at - maybe there is some form on their website?

BUT:

It has been my experience that, yes, an annoying number of parcels go back to the delivery office, but where, when I have ordered something, I have had somewhere on the form to specify extra delivery instructions and have asked them to leave it somewhere safe if I am out, they have done so. (And in the case of Royal Mail, our postie now actually does this sometimes when I haven't asked.) I have also held parcels for nearby neighbours, so it may be worth coming to some arrangement with yours, if you have any who are in during the day.

A little bit of trust and community might go a long way in the absence of a perfect post office.
Smile

Redalways

02-03-2010 04:22 PM

Mary

This isn't an issue of people being out whenthe postie arrives to deliver the package. The issue is that the postie has no intention of delivering the package and leaves it at the sorting office for the customer to collect. All he delivers is the red card.

ryananglem

02-03-2010 04:22 PM

For the number of post/parcels I get from Royal Mail, they do a pretty good job - only one time when they didn't bother to put the red card through my door, but had the letter at the sorting office (it was festival tickets, the festival was only 6 days away and I took a gamble and went there on the off chance).

DHL on the other hand left a parcel at the local shop, didnt tell me that they had been, and on their tracking system it came up as 'delivered and signed for'. It took 2 days of phone calls to track that one down.

Redalways

02-03-2010 04:24 PM

"Personaly I blame internet shopping.

If you postie was just carrying letters there would be no issue but if they are also delivering from Amazon, HMV, etc etc there little bags are going to be bulging."

It's my fault for giving business to the Post Office !

Londondrz

02-03-2010 04:28 PM

You are giving your business to Amazon etc, they then give it to the post office. I am in no way condoning what some of the postie do however I try to look at both sides. When you stand in another man's shoes etc etc.

Redalways

02-03-2010 05:14 PM

Alas this is the attitude that has brought Royal Mail to its knees. Many postal services would look at Amazon and its ilk as a great opportunity for their business, that would secure their future and their jobs. Particularly given that this could make up for a decline in business elsewhere due to increased use of email traffic.

Instead too many posties see it as an inconvenience - let the Customer (who has paid for the delivery) collect the package instead.

This is why the Royal Mail is in decline.

Londondrz

02-03-2010 05:24 PM

Agreed but what way forward?

roz

02-03-2010 06:30 PM

The Royal Mail may or may not be in decline but it is facing incredible challenges having both to compete against other private businesses whilst remaining affordable to you and I. Its not the local posties that are seeing the new' opportunities' as inconvenience- its the management who are making too many difficult demands on delivery staff without putting appropriate alternatives in place or ensuring they have the full capacity to do their job. Parcels etc have indeed increased the potential workload but putting it all, literally, on the shoulders of local staff to manage is typical and as usual not very productive.
I'd like to see private companies doing such a good job on the limited resources- note my view on Citylink- if you ever go to their depot in Kangley Bridge Road to collect something that probably was never put onto a van in the first place either , you will witness quite a few unhappy recipients complaining about the same thing.

I have another story about Home Delivery Network staff leaving a parcel just behind our dustbin on bin day. Guess what happened to that......

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lack of Royal Mail letter box deliveries in Forest Hill lately Scorpion 3 1,604 01-11-2023 10:24 AM
Last Post: Scorpion
  Royal Mail postal delays samuelsen 1 3,134 31-12-2021 03:35 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Royal Mail Delivery Problems midlife 31 27,487 30-03-2016 01:41 PM
Last Post: samuelsen