SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
The Perry Hill SE6
shzl400

12-11-2007 11:10 AM

honoracorn wrote:
If you take a look at this week's Time Out, you will in fact see a review of the Perry Hill, and quite a good one at that http://www.timeout.com/london/bars/reviews/11754.html I know it's technically in SE6 but it's still local and proof that Time Out does venture to this corner of London.

The name is not familiar - is this a reincarnation of the Two Brewers?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
honoracorn

12-11-2007 11:32 AM

shzl400 wrote:

honoracorn wrote:
If you take a look at this week's Time Out, you will in fact see a review of the Perry Hill, and quite a good one at that http://www.timeout.com/london/bars/reviews/11754.html I know it's technically in SE6 but it's still local and proof that Time Out does venture to this corner of London.

The name is not familiar - is this a reincarnation of the Two Brewers?

It is indeed. http://www.theperryhill.co.uk/

We went for sunday lunch a few weeks back and the kitchen was clearly struggling to cope with the volume of orders coming through. Willing to give it another go though but maybe on a quieter night as they've done a good job with the refurb and the quality of cooking isn't bad.

blushingsnail

12-11-2007 11:32 AM

Yes, it used to be the Two Brewers.

Sherwood

12-11-2007 11:12 PM

It is probably very busy now that The Rutland has closed.

hilltopgeneral

19-12-2007 07:14 PM

I was down Perry Hill today for the first time in quite a while.

Good Lord, what a ghastly slum it is. What's with the run of boarded-up shops, and why do so many residents like to store old mattresses and sofas in their front gardens?

I know there is a bit of a running joke on here about the neighborhoods either side of the tracks but I'm not sure I'd realised how disgusting it really now is down this road. I really can't think of anywhere else in London that is as much of a dump, except perhaps parts of Newham or somewhere like Selhurst or Thornton Heath. You'd certainly have to look hard to find somewhere.

It does pick up a bit in the middle, away from Catford and Bell Green, and in the circumstances the people behind The Perry Hill are to be commended. They are brave and I wish them every success. I wouldn't invest in a chicken shop down there.

Toffeejim

19-12-2007 11:41 PM

hilltopgeneral wrote:
The Perry Hill are to be commended. They are brave and I wish them every success. I wouldn't invest in a chicken shop down there.

Perhaps they had half an eye on the streets immediately behind them which, if I recall correctly, are the most expensive in SE23.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

16-01-2009 03:41 PM

Went to The Perry Hill (http://http://www.theperryhill.co.uk)
before xmas and was pleasantly surprised. The place has been done out very nicely inside & the menu was interesting and well executed. Prices not a lot different to the others but definitely worth a trip if you want alternatives to DA, Dolphin and Lordship Lane.

brian

17-01-2009 02:37 PM

Hill Top
Do I take it you do not like Perry Hill. You certainly do not hold back. Worse place in London except Newham and Selhurst.
I am guessing you are not widely travelled in Londinium. Edmonston for one is far worse, how about Tottenham , Hayes ( M ) just to name a few.
Rutland uses to be a great pub , real shame it is no longer operating.

oryx

20-01-2009 11:55 PM

We went there on my birthday in October. The service was very good & friendly, the food also pretty good but either a) it was a little too rich or b) we ate too much.

Some relations of my partner's (great uncle & aunt??) ran the Two Brewers in the 50s & 60s. I bet they didn't do fillets of sea bass on a bed of pesto mash etc. Laugh

fatrascal

27-01-2009 03:24 PM

The Perry Hill does one of the best Sunday roasts in the area.

I went a couple of weekends ago and was pleased to see a local business full of customers. It did mean waiting over an hour for a table but the food quality was worth the wait, and we'll make sure to book next time.

brian

27-01-2009 08:03 PM

Sounds great.
As there is a wait for a table can you reserve before or on arrival or is it a mad dash when someone leaves.

Someone informed me the good old Rutland over the road up for let or sale as a pub.
This used to be a really great pub with some of the best beers in the neighbourhood.

jess

05-03-2009 03:23 PM

We have dinner there before Christmas and it was very good.

On the way out, I had a look at the seated area in the garden and its really big.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields