SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Chat
Bonnie Blue

06-01-2009 07:36 PM

Good Evening
I am new to this forum
Do we ever have a general chat thread where everybody congregates??Unsure

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robwinton

06-01-2009 07:40 PM

Hi Bonnie Blue, welcome!

No, there is no general "chat" option in this forum - it is very much topic/thread driven

I think you'll find the greatest level of participation here happens around lunch time anyway (all those hard working SE23 residents using their lunch hours wisely) so a chat might be a bit lonely at other times Smile

you could always find the twitter thread and follow a few of us and chat there?

Bonnie Blue

06-01-2009 07:52 PM

Thanks Robwinton

I do belong to a few forums and they all seem to have a general chat forum so just wondered
Lunch time is good for meThumbsup

Bonnie Blue

06-01-2009 08:02 PM

So is this the new chat thread lol

I keep losing it as I navigate around but having a chat thread is a good place to say good morning and catch up with regularsCool

michael

06-01-2009 09:06 PM

Or you could pop in and speak to Declan Curry around lunch time:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00...6_01_2009/

around 24:40 minutes there is a guy called Rob McIntosh wearing a shirt that look suspiciously like it came from a shop in Forest Hill! I'm sure I have seen him drinking wine in a few local pubs with other bloggers and twitterers.

In case you happen to be reading this thread, congratulations!

robwinton

06-01-2009 10:55 PM

He he! Yes, that was me in a Blaqua shirt Smile

Just waiting for the "celebrities spotted in Forest Hill" thread to be updated with my mug shot

Smile

michael

06-01-2009 11:27 PM

Don't see very much of your celebrity face these days Sad
I hope you'll be at the Burns Night 23 Club this month.

You have got me to set up a twitter account, but I don't know what to do now. I was hoping for loads of recommendations about what wine I should be drinking this season. I think you that now you are famous you should set up Lewisham Twitter drinks.

I do like this idea of a thread for random chat, some of the topics seem to be taken quite seriously compared to the posted punch ups we used to have!

Bonnie Blue

07-01-2009 06:56 AM

Good Morning all you Twitters and regularsRolleyes

roz

07-01-2009 09:29 AM

I hate to break the mood but is it not better for people to use technology such as this to encourage and stimulate real interactions rather than perpertually surfing chat websites? The establishment of the Forest Hill Society from se23.com is a case in point. It resulted in real people having realtime discussions rather than virtual ones.

I use this site and one other- I have been invited onto facebook and bebo and have declined as don't think its for me. I think I spend too much time already on the computer. I much prefer meeting and interacting with real people and am concerned that with the increase in these sites we will as a population lose the ability to handle face to face interactions which are often more challenging that sitting in front of a computer having an effective one way and one dimensional conversation. On a pc you can take your time and say what you like, perhaps more eloquently than you can in real life. However you don't have to pick up the verbal and body language cues from others nor experience and participate in turn taking, so I am concerned that we will eventually lose the ability to do so and that this in turn will effect how we engage with others. Already(in my personal opinion) in the workplace email can affect working relationships negatively as outrageous edicts and demands are often sent round by email in a manner that people would not dare to do if speaking face to face.

Something also struck me the other day when we had our Sainsburys shopping delivered. The man delivering actually stopped for a chat as he wished us a happy new year and shook our hands.He was from Poland. We thought this was very charming and then we thought it was ridiculous that we thought so as this surely should be normal considerate behaviour, behaviour that reaffirms us as social beings.
Is it so abnormal now that we consider a few minutes taken for greetings as belonging to another era?

You can get a lot from websites but so much more from real settings. Perhaps that is why our pubs are losing business! Me, I'm more inclined to start encouraging real time discussions in pubs, perhaps a debating society where we can sit and just chat about real life issues, and heaven forbid, politics.

Discuss. Punch up almost obligatory.

Bonnie Blue

07-01-2009 09:45 AM

Laugh
well I would discuss but you don't like virtual conversations so I daren't

I have had a life time of real conversations being relatively old so neither is a problem to me but I do notice on some sites that people rely on the computer for company
I think a lot of them seem to be lonely people or single parents and from that point of view it is a good thing
Before conputers, lonely people were just lonely and depressed, now at least they can look forward to a bit of interaction

I hate Facebook and the like I don't want to be friends with everybody

Bonnie Blue

07-01-2009 09:52 AM

You can get a lot from websites but so much more from real settings. Perhaps that is why our pubs are losing business! Me, I'm more inclined to start encouraging real time discussions in pubs, perhaps a debating society where we can sit and just chat about real life issues, and heaven forbid, politics.

I hate beer and I think the majority of smokers now stand outside their place of work or sitting on walls swigging cans of beer
I went to a production at the Brockley Jack theatre recently and the pub part was empty apart form a few of us drinking coffee
For an establishment that has just spent a lot of money on renovation that is disastrous. There was one table occupied in the restaurant all evening!! Now that really can't on for long
they have their football match TV so hopefully that will sustain them

roz

07-01-2009 12:36 PM

I just want to say that I meant no offence in my post so I apologise if my post appeared a little contrite or upset anyone. Nor did I intend to belittle anyones views. MellowThe pc is good for instigating social interaction but I just wanted to raise the question of creating overreliance to the exclusion of other means of people getting together. I too am a little reliant on my pc at the moment for company as I am ill with something contagious Scaredso not too many people are knocking on the door at the moment!

Bonnie Blue

07-01-2009 01:14 PM

Tsk!! and I thought you wanted a fight Laugh

I do agree that younger people seem to have difficulty interacting on personal level but I thought that just because I am old and not worth the time
However, they are not all like that and if you are ill then a virtual social life can be a Godsend

Things do tend to evolve naturally

Bonnie Blue

07-01-2009 01:38 PM

Generally speaking
I am liking this forumThumbsup

gingernuts

08-01-2009 06:24 PM

Hi Bonnie Blue, welcome to the forum!

We are a strange group on here Rofl but all have one thing in common - our love of SE23! Love

Have you lived here long? Assuming you are local of course.

Bonnie Blue

08-01-2009 06:46 PM

I have probably lived here about 35 years
house was paid for some time ago on a 30 year mortgage so I am guessing but have seen a few changes I am especially interested in the HOP parade because most of the time I have lived here it has always been a dead loss for local business
I suspect it will be again in 2009 which is a pity bcuase the shops have recntly become interesting I especially like Jelly Bean but don't usually go to Wine Bars so not sure about those but it's a shame about the deli but unsurprising
I wasn't suprised the florist closed either
neroli is the same business I used to have but I have downsized and work from home which was always my main strength because at least I have stayed in business but it has always been hard in this district and I do have a marketing background so I wasn't unwaware

Bonnie Blue

09-01-2009 07:12 AM

Good Morning Hoppers and TwittersSmile

robwinton

09-01-2009 09:30 AM

good morning @bonnie blue (sorry, twitter habit)

Bonnie Blue

09-01-2009 09:44 AM

Laugh

robwinton

04-03-2009 02:21 PM

Speaking of my now infamous shirts, I notice that Blaqua (was Oliver London) next to Thai Orchard, are having a seasonal sale - 50% off or more I believe

Must say, my Blaqua shirts have been a great investment in terms of profile in my wine job and a great way to start "chats" or break the ice at events

(check out the comments on this page from across the world):
http://wineconversation.com/marketing/so...n-a-shirt/

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields