SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
The New Routemaster?
Ghis

19-12-2007 12:45 PM

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/a...article.do

I miss the routemaster. I used to travel on the 12 from Peckam Rye to Trafalgar Square everyday when we lived in Peckham.

I hate bendy buses with a passion.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

19-12-2007 01:39 PM

I thought one of the main reasons for the lovely old Routemaster's demise was the open platform at the back. It was my favourite bit and meant that you could cast caution to the wind and leap on and off at will - I was younger then... But then the Safety Nazis came along and said it was dangerous (which it probably was, but who wants to be wrapped in cotton wool?) Yet here it is again in the new incarnation - a sure indicator that it will never be adopted!!

Johnc

19-12-2007 03:22 PM

I went to school in Peckham and well recall a game my mates and I regularaly played. Basically position ourselves on a corner where the basus slowed - corner of Queens road if I recall, and running out and leaping on. Completely and utterly dangerous, but great fun at the time.

I also really liked the winders used to open and close the windows. They looked as if a lot of love had gone into the design.

baggydave

19-12-2007 09:58 PM

Ah those rose tinted spectacles. Try cycling behing one (routemaster) as it churned out its black fugg.

However the replacement is bad. Try and overtake a bendy bus on a cycle, or worse when they cut you up as the the articulated rear closes in on the curb.

BD - always two sides to the argument.

Sherwood

21-12-2007 09:59 PM

The routemaster was designed specifically for London and can cope with the frequent stops.
Its demise was caused by the need to accommodate passengers in wheelchairs.

Baboonery

24-12-2007 12:33 PM

Sherwood wrote:
The routemaster was designed specifically for London and can cope with the frequent stops.
Its demise was caused by the need to accommodate passengers in wheelchairs.

And the fact that there are hills in London and they couldn't really get up them.

Sherwood

24-12-2007 02:20 PM

I remember they used to get over Horniman Hill.

michael

24-12-2007 04:38 PM

They were fine if you wanted to stand, but if you tried to sit down their was never enough space for your knees, and if you were close to six foot then walking down inside the buses was fairly difficult. The bendy buses are much more comfortable and warmer during the winter. They are the same design as used in Amsterdam where cyclists have learnt to put up them and not to undertake on corners.

baggydave

24-12-2007 08:19 PM

Amsterdam was designed with both cylists and public transport in mind. London isn't. Please get your facts right and chant after me - "What don't we want? - Bendy buses" "When don't we not want them? "Now!!"

Maggy Maggy Maggy... See Michael, now you have really got me started

BD - Never tires of pointing out the obvious

michael

24-12-2007 10:04 PM

baggydave wrote:
Amsterdam was designed with both cylists and public transport in mind.

There was me thinking it was designed for canal travel long before the canals became full of discarded bikes. There is no reason why London cannot cater for bendy buses and cyclists, even without an extensive network of canals and coffee shops.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields