SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Where did all these extra channels come from
baggydave

18-12-2007 11:19 PM

Having only just migrated to digital, and quickly getting all the dross off it such as the various shopping channels, I turn my back and someone has sneaked in and put another 20 on. First men and motors, sorry 'Dave', OK I could live with that. But now loads more dross such as the rather trashy Virgin channel. Who do I complain to? Ian McCulloch is probably rather fed up with my letters. Maybe my local councillors? And what did I do with the instructions so I can get rid of Karrang and price drop TV. Can anyone suggest where ?I could look (tried behind the sofa already). In the 50s, when life was good, we only had three channels on the radio, and TB was only on for half an hour a week (not that we could see the screen in any case).

BD - speaking up for the oldies

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ooperlooper

18-12-2007 11:58 PM

...and you lived in a shoe box in the middle of the road, had a handful of cold gravel for breakfast and your mum and dad would slice you in two with a bread knife and dance about on your grave singing Hallelujah, right?

Most manufacturers' websites have downloadable versions of the manuals.

baggydave

19-12-2007 01:03 AM

Whilst we all had TB of course, and were grateful for it, I of course meant to type TV (that is television, not the new fangled modern translation, we did not have that sort of thing then)

Ooperlooper

19-12-2007 07:54 AM

Sounds a bit like that story of the Russian dignatory who, during a cold war visit to Britain, impressed but the fullness of shelves in a supermarket, displayed a telling lack of understanding of democracy by asking "Who is responsible for the supply of bread to London"?

Mind you, possibly Mayor Ken might see himself in that sort of role, so you could try complaining to him, eh?

At least you can turn those channels off, unlike Jehova's Witnesses banging on your door.

Anyway, it shouldn't be more than perhaps 5-10 years before we can just watch what we want whenever we want, and 'channels' will cease to exist anyway.

Of course we'll then get advertising targeting each of us individually based on our viewing and internet habits, which some people seem to fear, but I think that'll be a good thing on the whole.

Londondrz

19-12-2007 09:24 AM

We have cable and twenty or so new channels popped up the other day. Being suspicious by nature I phoned my cable provider to enquire how much this was costing to be told it was free. So Gift horse and mouth for me. Something more for the kids to view in order to keep them out of the pub.

michael

19-12-2007 09:38 AM

I have found it is possible to reduce the number of channels you get by simply disconnecting all freeview, satellite, or cable boxes in my house. Of course now I have missed the last episode of Spooks and cannot watch it on catch-up on Virgin.

I noticed that there were carol singers in the middle of the street last night. At least I can close the door on Jehova's Witnesses whilst carol singers in the street cannot be avoided and I get those catchy tunes stuck in my head for days. It would be okay if they restricted themselves to songs about faggots and sluts which I enjoy (I better put in a reference to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7149525.stm in case somebody thinks I am being deliberately offensive).

Londondrz

19-12-2007 09:48 AM

Thank you for the warning about the carol singers, I shall get the oil on the boil right away!Smile

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields