SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
HOP - New baker/Patisserie?
bigjulie

11-01-2008 12:38 AM

I think it is a bit rich criticising businesses before they have even opened.
The area needs a baker. There is nothing mean about selling food.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fany9560

11-01-2008 06:25 PM

bigjulie wrote:

yes a baker - NOT yet another fast food outlet - there are more than enough in the area. We want something different. I hope this patisserie will realise that and listen to their potential custmers rather than stocking up on the usual fizzy drinks etc

simonj

12-01-2008 03:37 PM

Any ideas when this is going to open?

lillam

19-01-2008 02:47 PM

fany9560 wrote:
I looked through the window of the new baker yesterday and it doesn't look too inspiring - there is a plastic notice saying something like"kiddies favourites" and a plastic coke drink fridge thing Sad unfortunately it has the appearance of a downmarket Greggs. I hope to be pleasantly surprised when it opens.............

Lets hope note - we used to have a bakery just like this on the HOP parade [shut down 96/97] - fine if you liked white bloomers, but no good otherwise.

The thing to do is if they go down the Greggs route, ask them to try and get in/make what it is you want - get in their while their open to suggestion!

As for the coffe shop bit, its only a tiny space they have - I think they are jsut trying to capitalise on the little room they have. THe decking barely fits 2 chairs. I think it was built more for providing a ramp for wheelchair/pram access.

Not a lot of money in a small bakery - lets support them!

simonj

19-01-2008 06:12 PM

If the ever open it!!

RussB

19-01-2008 06:27 PM

fany9560 wrote:

bigjulie wrote:

yes a baker - NOT yet another fast food outlet - there are more than enough in the area. We want something different. I hope this patisserie will realise that and listen to their potential custmers rather than stocking up on the usual fizzy drinks etc

We're hoping it's a baker's too, not a shop that sells baked-elsewhere products. We're hoping the reason it's taking so long to open is that they're having to get health and safety to approve the big ovens out the back that will produce fresh bread every day.

If it does turn out to be a Greggs clone, well I'll continue to get my morning coffee from the chap at the station, and on the weekend wish I could find somewhere to sell me some fresh pastries.

steveb

20-01-2008 01:11 PM

They already have a section of their display labelled "Ciabatta" ... or do Greggs do that as well?

Ghis

31-01-2008 11:43 AM

Well, this is looking more and more like a patisserie and bakery... Big opening soon signs too now. Smile

Tersie

06-02-2008 10:26 AM

Just popped in to Bertrams - to be fair the pastries, bread and pies all look really nice. They have the ovens at the back so it seems all is done on the premises, they also have a jacket spud oven. It looks like they will be doing lunches and drinks. I will definitely be popping back to pick up afew bits Smile

Ghis

06-02-2008 10:49 AM

They were all working in there when I walked pass at 7am. Looking good. Smile

steveb

06-02-2008 10:54 AM

Ghis wrote:

I popped in late on, and most of the bread was gone. Pastries were good.

wayfarer

06-02-2008 11:08 AM

steveb wrote:

Ghis wrote:

Bread was gone?? Once again this is obviously a case of a business not doing its research, it's bound to fail, lower the value of my property and bring in undesirable people to the area. It wasn't like this in my day, and I don't need it in my back yard.

Apologies for the rant, but I thought I'd get them all out before the SE23.com cynics got the chance.

Looking forward to sampling the pastries.

Tersie

06-02-2008 11:08 AM

[/quote]

Damn I was hoping to pick up a nice crusty loaf - hopefully they will be baking more during the day!!

Ghis

06-02-2008 11:18 AM

Seeing has they have ovens at the back they will probably bake several batches. Smile

Simon

06-02-2008 11:36 AM

Tough crowd!! They've only been open a few days.

Looking forward to wondering down there on Saturday morning for fresh bread etc.

simonj

07-02-2008 09:40 AM

me too, I won't get in there until sat but intend on parting with some cash in there on a regular basis if the products are up to scratch and by the sounds of it from se23 they are.

kingkong

07-02-2008 11:30 AM

I'm working from home today so I'm going to check this out at lunchtime, I'll post my observations later on today.
K

TSRG

07-02-2008 10:13 PM

Can't wait for it to open. On this front does anyone know what is happening to Bar Equal and the DVD shop

On the Med Deli - I agree the bread is good, and the home made desserts...but have had a couple of dodgy sarnies made with past its best / dried out foccacia that dissapointed. To be fair he did say he didn't have much left. Is this the norm or should I give it another try?

I'll be up for sitting outside the cafe with a coffee in the summer if it is any good - althought the traffic doesn't do much for the al fresco...

hoppy

07-02-2008 10:47 PM

equal and dvd place discussed elsewhere.

BarCar

08-02-2008 11:14 AM

TSRG wrote:
On the Med Deli - I agree the bread is good, and the home made desserts...but have had a couple of dodgy sarnies made with past its best / dried out foccacia that dissapointed. To be fair he did say he didn't have much left. Is this the norm or should I give it another try?

Not the norm in my (recent) experience. He's been up front about what he has that's good/fresh and is happy to customise to your requirements. Try the cakes too - yum. I do hope that they don't end up stealing business from each other - it's nice to have the choice. The Med Deli would seem to have a better location from my POV but I've not ventured into the new place yet.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lolos Patisserie closed Jane2 12 13,721 23-11-2013 11:59 AM
Last Post: PollyEster63