SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
St German's Road
New Girl

12-01-2010 07:37 PM

Hello fellow Forest Hillers!

Anyone live on St. German's Road? I'm thinking of moving there from London Road. Is it a nice place to live? I'm a 30-something education professional with 10 month old baby...

Thanks, NG x

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rmurraywest

18-01-2010 12:01 PM

Hi haven't posted for years(just read the forum for local updates), but didn't want your post to go unanswered. We live on St German's Road and we like it very much. The pub on the corner is lovely (very kid friendly, great food), and we have two small children so find the proximity of the Jenner and the great pharmacy next to it very useful. The school at the end of the road (dalmain) has a great reputation.

The housing is, as I'm sure you have noticed, a very mixed bag, so we find we don't meet people on the street as easily as perhaps we might in a row of terraced houses, but after nearly two years we are getting there with that too. If you do decide to go for it, then do get in touch - I have a daughter of 10 months and an older girl of two, and it's always great to meet new people nearby with little ones.

Good luck

New Girl

18-01-2010 06:50 PM

Hi! Thanks so much for your very encouraging reply. You've definitely sold the road to me, and I will certainly get in touch if it all happens... be lovely to know another mum with little ones.

Thanks again x

new boy

19-01-2010 05:56 PM

Hello,
I live down the bottom end of St Germans Road next to the Health Centre.
I have lived on this road for 17 years and never had any problems with crime or anti social behaviour.
This end of the street is generally quiet.
It is well served by buses and within equal reach of Forest Hill, Honor Oak and Catford Bridge stations.
I tend to go to Tescos in Catford which is fine once out of the car park.
As others have said the Pub on the corner has been renovated in past few years and the few times i have been in there they have always been friendly and polite - During the day quite a few mothers with children use the pub.
Parking is a bit of a problem at this end of the street and worse when Health Centre is open.
I hope you find some where on St Germans ( and property prices are pretty good here ).
Anything else I can help with please post enquiry.

Best Wishes
James

derbybill

30-01-2010 05:45 PM

Like "new boy" James I've lived here a long time.
The rat-running traffic cutting off the corner between Brockley rise and the S Circular used to be a nightmare but it's not so bad these days, and the speed humps slow things down a bit.
Parking overflow from the Jenner Health Centre can be a pain if it blocks your access as the appointment system at the Jenner can run a bit late sometimes.
The Honor Oak pub is very nice and the food is good, but I do wish they would do something about replacing the filters on their extractors as the pong of burnt fat can be a bit strong outside when the winds blowing from the west. Especially on sunday mornings for the roast dinners.

derbybill

30-01-2010 05:50 PM

Forgot to add that it can be very reassuring to know that there's medical help very close at hand at the Jenner and the pharmacy since you have a 10 month old baby.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields