SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
looking to meet other mums in the area
jinx0

11-01-2010 11:42 AM

Hi Mums,

I'm keen to meet other mums in the local area. It seems there isn't much of a community for mums & toddlers in se23 compared to the plethora of activities in east dulwich. Apart from the usual Horniman cafe where there seems to be a handful of mums, there's not much going on at this end. My baby daughter is about 5 months and would like her to make other chums from the local area while us mums could get together for baby free nights out, coffee mornings & lunches and get to know each other in similar situations.

fire away your answers : )

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

12-01-2010 11:44 PM

Hi, on the contrary there is actually a lot to do for parents and young children in this area in addition to the many activities laid on at the Horniman itself including Busy Bees which are now on twice a week- I suggest you join the local NCT and get a copy of their activities list or look at the websites of the various childrens centres locally which have a lot of free activities. There is also a lot on in the library for children and Normanton Road Methodist Church, the Honor Oak Tavern ( Babba Latte on Wednesday mornings) and of course the Ackroyd Centre in Brockley with its various playgroups and music lessons. Have a look at some of the previous threads on this topic also- sorry not clever enough to post a link but perhaps someone else will do that!

jinx0

13-01-2010 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply to my thread Roz. I've the information I need on all the activities that are available to me in my local area and thanks for taking the trouble to share your knowledge.

I was keen to set up meet ups with other mums for coffee, lunch or better still baby free nights where we could enjoy a drink proving the meet ups were a success. That was the purpose behind my thread. There are of course plenty of playgroups and activities around Brokley/Honor Oak/ED but sometimes it is difficult to have a conversation, forge friendships on a one to one basis while attending to the wee one.

I'd like to concentrate more on what's out there for us mums socially. So if any of you would like to give the idea any thought, feel free to pm me.

Thanks.

roz

13-01-2010 06:51 PM

Actually, its through my local NCT that I have personally managed to make so many friends of other local mothers- some of us have been meeting up for over 2 years now and I know many people who remain in contact for a longer time than that. Our little group arranges to babysit for each other and nights out. Would still recommend it as a way of networking at the outside but at best with the potential to make many long lasting friendships and mutual support networks. I can PM you with some contact details of New Parents Supporters if you want.

banshee

14-01-2010 10:49 AM

I'd concur with roz' suggestion that the NCT is still a good port of call. Forest Hill NCT is very large and active and as well as being a source of information about daytime activities aimed at parents with kids in tow, there are regular open houses and tea groups, mums' nights out and there is a regular evening book group.

We're also very lucky in Forest Hill that we've got several child-friendly venues for drinks and meals, so if you want to try and arrange some meet-ups you could for example post on the forum that you're planning to be in the Honor Oak, or the Dartmouth Arms, at a particular time on a particular day with baby in tow and would any other mums be interested in joining you?

A bit further afield but I can also recommend Friday afternoons in either the Mag or the Plough on Lordship Lane, East Dulwich. Both pubs run a 'baby club' on Friday afternoons where they clear a space and lay out some toys so that parents can meet there for a drink and there's a space for their babies and toddlers to play. I sometimes go with friends and have at other times just headed down there to see who's there and have a chat.

jinx0

28-01-2010 06:45 PM

Many thanks for all those who Pm'd me. I'll let you know of our first meet up soon.

Jane2

08-02-2010 08:25 PM

Here's a link to the Forest Hill NCT website. At the bottom you will find a document you can download which lists all the local parent and baby activities in the area. There are so many sometimes it is difficult to choose which to go to...! I actually think we are rivalling Dulwich for baby-friendliness round here!

http://www.nct.org.uk/in-your-area/lewis...foresthill

Our NCT New Parents Supporters should be able to put you in touch with other mums who have babies of a similar age should you wish, they have regular coffee mornings and these are a really nice way to meet others.

There is also Babba Latte on a Wednesday morning at the Honor Oak pub, this is a nice social activity.

Also ask your health visitor if they run any postnatal groups - there is one a Kilmorie Childrens Centre although they are usually only for babies up to 6 months, so you may be a bit late for this.

Good luck with your meet-ups!

Jane2

08-02-2010 08:30 PM

Here's a link to one of the previous threads:

Having A Baby in Forest Hill:
http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=444

jinx0

10-02-2010 03:30 PM

Thanks for the reply Jane. Will drop into baba late one Wednesday morn. As for the suggestion of asking my health visitor is another discussion altogether. well, we never had one, she never got in contact when I was discharged by my midwife. although we're now looked after by the health visitor at the surgery and all's well.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields