SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Library
blushingsnail

25-01-2008 12:06 PM

seeformiles wrote:
Anyone know if the Horniman Library is open to the public, and if so - what's it like?

I've only been in the Horniman library once (just nosing around) and I think I was the only person in there apart from the staff.

Taken this from the Horniman website:

Library
Open: Wednesday to Saturday 10.30am - 5.30pm and Sunday 2 - 5.30pm
Closed: Mondays, Tuesdays, Bank Holidays and 24 - 26 December
Please note the Library is currently subject to short notice and lunchtime closures. Ring 020 8699 1872 in advance to check opening times.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
seeformiles

30-01-2008 10:39 PM

Thanks for that BlushingSnail.

I decided to try out FH library today. I thought it only fair to have a look before I post on this thread again. My observations are as follows:

The outside of the building and the refurb looks great but it seems to have forgotten it's traditional function as a quiet place to read and study.

a) There are banks of computers which is great as it's nice to see new facilities. The problem is that the whole area was comandeered by kids using it as an internet cafe and a place to chat loudly. Couldn't see much evidence of homework being attempted.

b) There is a separate children's library but lots of children were sitting around chatting loudly in the main area - some with drinks and food. The staff seemed reluctant to ask them to keep the noise down.

c) There aren't that many tables and chairs (apart from in the overcrowded computer area) and in fact there was nowhere at all for me to sit so I gave up and left after 5 minutes.
I came away feeling quite disheartened with the sense that people in my position ie adults who need to study, have not been considered at all as part of the refurbishment plans.

Next stop the Horniman or E Dulwich library....

brian

09-02-2008 09:01 PM

The building is great. Night time floodlighting perhaps a bit excessive in these energy saving times but what about books. I reckon at most 35% of previous number. Also a lot of paperbacks .
I suppose we are fortunate to have a library at all

ecofamily

11-02-2008 09:21 PM

It's great to have the library back and I think it looks great but want to add my agreement to other comments about the screens on the walls. Were three large TV screens really necessary?Thumbdown I wonder how many books could have been bought with that money. They are really distracting, especially in the children's library.
Lastly, to the library manager can we please, please have the community notice board back. A folder tucked away with notices is just not going to work. Sad

bigjulie

11-02-2008 11:41 PM

I was in there the other day and Sky sports news was on. Great.

FHLibraryManager

25-02-2008 10:59 AM

This week:

Tues 26 Feb, Film Group. Talk and discussion about the Martin Scorses classic Goodfellas 6.00-7.45pm

Thurs 28 Feb: Talk on the history of Forest Hill/Forest Hill Library by the ever popular local historian Steve Grindlay. 6.30-7.30pm

FHLibraryManager

19-07-2008 02:37 PM

Hi all;

We have a number of great events coming up for young people aged 12+ over the summer holidays. All events are free and have full wheelchair access. If any of you are in that age group, or know anyone who is and would be interested, places can be booked in the Library or on 020 8699 2065. Thanks!

Tuesday 29th July, 1-3pm: Millwall FC
Launching Team Read, our Summer Reading Challenge, Millwall Football Club will give advice on sport and reading.

Monday 4th August, 4-6pm: IRIE!
An exciting opportunity to learn Street Dance Fusion
With Britain?s leading African & Caribbean dance theatre
company IRIE!

Wednesday 20th August, 4-5pm: Live Literature - Sarah Singleton
Don?t miss this chance to see Booktrust Prize winner Sarah Singleton, author of The Amethyst Child and Sacrifice talk about her writing and inspirations. Followed by a Q&A and book signing. Collect a ticket from the Library now to ensure your place!

Friday 22nd August, 3-5pm: GLYPT
Join Greenwich & Lewisham Young Peoples Theatre for this two hour drama workshop and work with professional artists to develop skills in acting, improvisation and performance by playing drama games, creating scenes and characters. You?ll also get the chance to meet new people and have fun.

Wednesday 27th August, 4-6pm: Live Literature - Kevin Brooks
A unique opportunity to hear Kevin Brooks, author of award-winning fiction for teens including: Lucas, Martyn Pig, Black Rabbit Summer and the 2008 Lewisham Book Awards shortlisted title Being, talk about his writing and why he is attracted to the darker side of life. Don?t miss this chance to see one of the hottest talents in contemporary literature ? collect your ticket from the library now!

Fri 29th August, 2-4pm: Steve Marchant
Learn how to create your own cartoon characters and storylines in a
fun-packed workshop with professional cartoonist and author Steve Marchant

brian

27-07-2008 05:55 PM

I was pleasantly surprised to see our new library open this morning about 10.40pm.
Seem to recall the old library did not even open Monday to Sat full time.
Looked empty from the other side of the road but hopefully trade will pick up.

eddy

27-07-2008 11:13 PM

I popped in to the library twice this week, wanted to get a peak of the options for the pools, see it in 3d sort of thing.

first vist was around 10am , and the library looked great tidy, bright with plenty of room to move about.
why they put the pools options half way up the disabled ramp i don't know as it blocks some of the access Unsure
went back in around 4pm and the place looked like a bomb had gone off, children everywhere and the nosie.
why did lewisham think putting games machines in a library was a good idea ?
i know with the pools closed there is very little for these children to do but a games machine ?

Grangerover

28-07-2008 02:11 PM

I've been using the library for a few months. While it is great to now have a refurbished and smart-looking library nearby I would have to agree with other posters that the emphasis on providing entertainment and computers is too strong. I grew up spending lots of time in my local libraries so I certainly think they should be accessible and available to kids. But surely it should be to encourage kids to read! If they are spending their time playing games or surfing the internet surely it's waste of library space which could be otherwise allocated to more books?

One other big problem with the library is the utter absence of any ramp at the front entrance. As a new dad who is now pushing a buggy around I find this very annoying, especially as the new steps seem to have been designed in such as a way as to make it physically impossible to even pull and bump a buggy up the steps. Really, was installing a ramp never even considered when the re-building work was commissioned? (And yes I know there's a door round the back, but you can end up waiting several minutes before someone comes and lets you in!)

Just to be fair, I don't wish to sound completely negative about the library. I'm enjoying finding my way round the new stock of books and I've found the staff to be friendly and helpful. It's just a pity that the experience of using the library environment wasn't thought-through more.

FHLibraryManager

29-07-2008 03:20 PM

Thanks for all your comments and do keep them coming. It's always great to hear what you like and dislike and we do relay all feedback - good and bad - to the Libraries senior management team. We will also be having a User Forum in the next few months for everyone to comment on their experiences and to discuss any ideas for the future. I will post more details of this as we know them.

re: the swimming pool display - we did look at various areas around the library in which the display could have been situated, but unfortunately along the ramp was the only suitable one. Also, the pools consultation team had a problem with their display suppliers so the presentation is not how it was envisaged originally in terms of space. If you do find any problems with access being obstructed please see myself or any member of library staff and we will see what we can do.

re: the ramp - the original refurbishment plans did actually have a ramp at the front of the building but unfortunately it was found that the gradient was too steep for it to be safe and practical. Therefore the original ramp at the back was retained and rebuilt. There should not be a long wait for the door to be opened - I will check the bell is working properly.

re: the games consoles - one of the pressing issues in the area and nationally is finding safe places for young people to spend their time usefully, so we have tried to design a library space that welcomes young people and will lead them to the book stock, possibly through use of some of the technology. However, this should not impede on other users enjoyment of the library and if you have any problems with noise, please see a member of staff.

eddy

11-08-2008 10:03 PM

i see people on the forum have been thanking the street cleaners but i would like to add my thanks to that along with my thanks to the cleaning team that keep our library looking so good.

I have seen first hand just how dirty foresthill library gets over the corse of a day, so well done to all these nameless people that work in the background to keep foresthill a clean tidy place.

psyche9

12-08-2008 07:01 AM

I loved the library. I thought it was beautifully restored, the equipment was wonderful and, early on a Saturday, it was quiet, with plenty of seats should I have wanted to sit and read.
I agree that the stock was somewhat limited. However, Lewisham's policy of buying in new hardbacks is impressive. (Bromley libraries now wait til items are out in paperback before purchasing.) A trip to Lewisham or Catford, where there are larger libraries, is always nice isn't it? Or items can be ordered in, as already mentioned.

I agree about the need for quiet space in a library; though in public libraries it is good if the space is large enough to accommodate different sorts of activities. I'm a librarian in a college library and management is always encouraging us to make the library a more vibrant place, despite user surveys which show that the majority of readers want peace and quiet. I used to be a noise-sensitive person, but am now inurred to noise..

psyche9

12-08-2008 07:05 AM

Whoops, I meant to type 'inured'

Foresters

12-08-2008 08:57 PM

Does anyone know where details of the Film Group at the library are available?

FHLibraryManager

16-08-2008 11:26 AM

We have film showings on a Thursday eve (classic film), Saturday morning (childrens' film) and Sunday afternoon (recent release).

We currently don't have a film discussion group - we had a successful launch of one in December, but we ceased it earlier this year due to lack of interest. If people are interested in having one, let me know.

Foresters

16-08-2008 07:28 PM

Thanks so much for the info, FHLibraryManager.

Is there anywhere online with timings and schedules? It's not far to walk and check, but it would be nice to know what's coming up...

banshee

19-08-2008 12:28 PM

Any chance the loo, which has been out of order for at least three weeks, will be fixed any time soon?

Jane

19-08-2008 12:49 PM

A minor beef - it was a bit offputting to have a person crunching crisps sitting at one of the tables on Sunday. Surely eating should not be allowed? If it is, then I withdraw my whinge.
On a positive note, the opening hours are fantastic and the staff very helpful and pleasant - not always easy to tell who works there though. I had to guess when I wanted to order a book. Could they all be given badges perhaps?

evanick

19-08-2008 01:34 PM

My husband went to the library today and there were no newspapers - apparently they are short-staffed.
So books in short supply and now no newspapers. Have to go somewhare else in future.

Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Free cameraless photography workshops at Forest Hill Library AdultLearningLew 0 1,127 26-10-2023 04:21 PM
Last Post: AdultLearningLew
  Forest Hill Library Book Group - Next Meeting 13th June michael 4 5,876 18-05-2017 08:18 AM
Last Post: michael
  Forest Hill Community Library - Crowdfunder Mr_Numbers 5 6,964 27-11-2016 09:43 PM
  Forest Hill Community Library now open michael 8 8,818 15-11-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: oryx
  Forest Hill Library - Proposed Cut to Funding philip 159 128,504 07-10-2016 02:15 PM
  Life in SE23 - Our community Forest Hill library partnership bid P1971 12 12,600 22-05-2016 11:50 PM
Last Post: P1971
  Volunteers needed for Forest Hill Library P1971 64 51,596 25-04-2016 10:02 PM
Last Post: P1971
  Police Street Briefing at Forest Hill Library - Tues 10th Nov 5-6pm admin 0 3,728 06-11-2015 03:26 PM
Last Post: admin
  Forest Hill Pupils solve the mystery of the corpse in the Library michael 3 6,812 29-04-2015 11:14 AM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Forest Hill Library Stop Smoking Walk In Clinic Ronnie 0 3,798 06-01-2015 11:50 AM
Last Post: Ronnie
  FREE Half term events @ Forest Hill Library foresthilllibrary 0 5,298 14-10-2011 10:37 AM
Last Post: foresthilllibrary
  Forest Hill Library - Black History Month Event foresthilllibrary 0 4,506 14-10-2011 10:22 AM
  Sharing the Journey Weekend @ Forest Hill Library foresthilllibrary 1 5,927 18-03-2011 03:44 PM
  World Book Night @ Forest Hill Library - 5 March foresthilllibrary 1 6,691 01-03-2011 01:52 PM
  Live Jazz @ Forest Hill Library foresthilllibrary 0 4,340 07-12-2010 02:01 PM
  Jazz @ Forest Hill Library on 03/12/10 foresthilllibrary 2 6,134 02-12-2010 12:43 PM
  Creative Writing Workshop on 25/11/10 @ Forest Hill Library foresthilllibrary 0 4,064 19-11-2010 04:28 PM
  An evening with local writer Christopher Bowden @ Forest Hill Library foresthilllibrary 0 5,069 22-10-2010 03:21 PM
  Celebrate Black History Month @ Forest Hill Library foresthilllibrary 0 3,935 30-09-2010 07:43 PM
  Creative Writing Workshops at Forest Hill Library foresthilllibrary 0 4,063 13-08-2010 03:02 PM