SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Merry Christmas Sir Steve!
Baboonery

13-12-2007 03:28 PM

Ian wrote:

Jane wrote:
If you don't like your elected politicians then stand yourself! Let's see the manifesto!!

The regular LBL wage would be very nice.

For a start:
I would remove all sleeping policemen from FH roads.
Open Manor Mount so it is two way traffic again to stop the traffic jam down Honor Oak Road and surrounding roads.
Remove the residents parking bay's and parking meters from all roads/streets that have them to boost local business
Free car parking at Sainbury's to also to boost local business.
Remove all of the wheelie bins from outside of shops.
Lean very heavy on the people holding the purse at LBL to get something done about the swimming pool.

Of course the power might go to my head like it does with all local councillors, I would have a feeling of self importance and then I could look down on people who are paying my wages. I only have to knock on their door every four years to beg to be voted back in again.
Then there's the extra money I could make...nudge, nudge, wink, wink, it could pay for a nice four wheel drive or a second home in France.

Want to put the money up for me to do it ??

Where do those of us who live above said shops put our rubbish?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

13-12-2007 03:38 PM

Ian wrote:
The regular LBL wage would be very nice.

I should point out that basic councillors only get an "allowance" of about ?9k pa, although they get extra for every additional committee or whatever they sit on or other duties they undertake. In the interest of transparent government, it's probably all clearly set out in some obscure cornere of the LBL website.

millesens

13-12-2007 04:26 PM

Thanks Rob , great idea, I am writing my card today. As for Ian, I cannot agree more, a peaceful gathering of concerned residents who are fed up of quite a lot of empty promises, I am surely up for it. Both initiatives will at least show the Local goverment that we are tired of being forgotten and coming bottom of the list after Lewisham, Catford and Deptford and that we want to see some changes and some money for Forest Hill. Of course some good PR and press coverage will be essential.

Baboonery

13-12-2007 04:36 PM

millesens wrote:
Thanks Rob , great idea, I am writing my card today. As for Ian, I cannot agree more, a peaceful gathering of concerned residents who are fed up of quite a lot of empty promises, I am surely up for it. Both initiatives will at least show the Local goverment that we are tired of being forgotten and coming bottom of the list after Lewisham, Catford and Deptford and that we want to see some changes and some money for Forest Hill. Of course some good PR and press coverage will be essential.

Is this actually true? Any evidence? Or is it just another load of residents' committee "give us stuff because we're us and we're so much better than them and they get everything always" stuff?

I'd use a smiley here if I did.

millesens

13-12-2007 04:48 PM

Baboonery, you just have to look at the regeneration and development plans for Deptford and Lewisham to understand why we feel left out.

robwinton

13-12-2007 05:04 PM

I think that one of the key points is that plans exist and priorities have been set, but then politicians move on and council staff take over. They do this *every* day and get bogged down in the day to day difficulties of getting things to happen in their area/field knowing that the impetus (political pressure) is elsewhere. I'm being realistic, not negative at all.

We have to ensure that the key people who can actually MAKE THINGS HAPPEN, such as the Mayor and probably also the local MP, put some pressure on council staff to complete their tasks.

For example, we are still to hear from our Town Centre Manager. I don't doubt she believes she is doing her job, but we are certainly totally in the dark about her objectives, targets and achievements. Someone who CARED would probably be available to talk to us.

The objective of this campaign is not to get any grant, new plan, additional resources, etc. but to get the Mayor to make a simple call to a couple of key people and say: "Oy! Get it sorted!"

You'd be amazed what something like that could make happen in any organisation.

Ian

13-12-2007 07:19 PM

Baboonery wrote:

You would be required to keep your bin at the rear of the property or in any side alley. On rubbish collection day you would be required to take the bin from the rear of the property or any side alley to the front of the building for it to be empted. When you return home at night you would be required to take the bin from the front of the building back to the rear of the building, or any side alley. Easy.

I would like to point out these two old pictures from Steve Grindley's Flickr site.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=...960&size=o
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=...921&size=o

Note: No rubbish bins, ethier council or domestic are to be seen and look how clean the streets are....WOW !! Much better times indeed.
It was done then and it can be done again.

One loud voice can make a difference !
Ian

13-12-2007 07:46 PM

shzl400 wrote:
I should point out that basic councillors only get an "allowance" of about ?9k pa, although they get extra for every additional committee or whatever they sit on or other duties they undertake. In the interest of transparent government, it's probably all clearly set out in some obscure cornere of the LBL website.

Excuse me, nine grand ? I'm not eastern european !
This must be a mistake. I could get more money working in Sainsbury's.

Only those people who are so far up their own rear-end, so hyperinflated with their own ego and self importance would work as a counciler for that type of money. All I can say is any extra earnings (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more) that could be part of the job must be very, very good indeed !!

Would I get more money for being an honest counciler ? Revealing any skeletons in the closet first, before the 'FH Bugle' trys to expose me ?
Or is my political career over before it's even started ???

One loud voice can make a difference !
shzl400

13-12-2007 10:38 PM

Ian wrote:

shzl400 wrote:

Excuse me, nine grand ? I'm not eastern european !
This must be a mistake. I could get more money working in Sainsbury's.

Only those people who are so far up their own rear-end, so hyperinflated with their own ego and self importance would work as a counciler for that type of money. All I can say is any extra earnings (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more) that could be part of the job must be very, very good indeed !!

Would I get more money for being an honest counciler ? Revealing any skeletons in the closet first, before the 'FH Bugle' trys to expose me ?
Or is my political career over before it's even started ???

It's an "allowance" not a salary. Most of the junior councillors also hold down a normal 9 to 5 job as well - or at least part-time. Those who do it full time are intent on climbing the greasy political pole.

Just on the subject of regeneration, there are loads of places more in need of regenerating than Forest Hill - which is why we don't get so much money/council attention as other wards with a higher index of deprivation. Believe me, this is affluent compared to other parts of Lewisham. And then I went to work in Brixton....

millesens

13-12-2007 10:43 PM

Ian, just because you reiterated what all residents should do with their bins ( I tried a while ago on the forum as bins left outside on pavements all the time drive me mad) I would vote for you. Could you also tell people what to do with their unwanted fridges, materasses, general junk, it looks like many think it is indeed ok to throw them in front gardens. VOTE FOR IAN !

robwinton

13-12-2007 11:38 PM

shzl400 wrote:
Just on the subject of regeneration, there are loads of places more in need of regenerating than Forest Hill - which is why we don't get so much money/council attention as other wards with a higher index of deprivation. Believe me, this is affluent compared to other parts of Lewisham. And then I went to work in Brixton....

I do not dispute that. But Forest Hill still needs attention and no-one else is going to do anything about it - we can't exactly write to Wandsworth and say "could you adopt us as we are relatively affluent but not as much as you, so you would care".

You could look at it another way. What we need is relatively straight-forward (barring the pools and the station for the moment). With a little effort to bring business to what is already a relatively affluent and therefore attractive area, Lewisham would gain some "quick wins" to bring business and more local taxes into the area. This in turn would attract further investment (in schools, building, transport, etc.) and have spin off benefits further into 'deepest Lewisham'.

We may not currently register on the priority list of those also involved with the Deptford or Lewisham centre redevelopments, but that is no excuse for those who look after us specifically (town centre managers, planning officers, etc.).

Baboonery

14-12-2007 09:40 AM

Ian wrote:

Baboonery wrote:

You would be required to keep your bin at the rear of the property or in any side alley. On rubbish collection day you would be required to take the bin from the rear of the property or any side alley to the front of the building for it to be empted. When you return home at night you would be required to take the bin from the front of the building back to the rear of the building, or any side alley. Easy.

I would like to point out these two old pictures from Steve Grindley's Flickr site.

Note: No rubbish bins, ethier council or domestic are to be seen and look how clean the streets are....WOW !! Much better times indeed.

The owner of the space at the back won't permit bins there. And there's no rear access from most of these flats.

I don't like having bins on the pavement either, I don't think anyone does, but until someone comes up with a better solution than a blustery "get them off the pavement" they're going nowhere.

robwinton

14-12-2007 10:25 AM

If I ever needed a reason to NOT want to be involved in UK politics at ANY level, I think this discussion, which has continued on my blog, might be worth digging out (it is worth reading the comments).

I guess I should stick to talking about station gates and better parenting. Oops! More politics.

I'm certainly looking forward to this season of good will to all! When does it start?

nevermodern

14-12-2007 10:38 AM

In terms of bins and businesses, I believe Ana from Bar Equal has had some success this year in pressing, and getting, better arrangements from the council. So it can be done.

Mrjamon

14-12-2007 11:06 AM

Sent mine.

Why would Bullock disregard FH if he lives in FH??

robwinton

14-12-2007 11:09 AM

Mrjamon wrote:
Sent mine.

Thanks!

Maybe for that very reason - maybe trying to appear impartial?

Even if he has a house here, there is no guarantee he does any shopping or even spend much time here. Has anyone seen him around, just being a local resident?

Baboonery

14-12-2007 11:12 AM

Ian wrote:

Baboonery wrote:

Well apart from the fact that I live above what used to be a Tesco, which I never knew, then those pictures don't actually tell us very much. Even if the spaces above the shops were residentially occupied, which was much less common in those days, as they were used as store rooms for the shops below, it's likely they had some form of unfettered access to a rear space. Commonly known as 'a back door to an alley'. Nowadays they are residentially occupied, there are no back doors, and no alley.

I'd prefer a big bin in the corner of the Dartmouth Arms car park, personally, but the owner thereof (who isn't the DA, I understand) won't have that, either. And how would the poor binmen get down there, etc, etc, etc.

The closure of the internet caf? at the same time as the opening of Martin's didn't help. If both retail units were occupied, there may be a bit more momentum behind the situation. And, dear LBL, if you don't like rubbish spilling over, I suggest you provide us with more than one wheelie bin for six flats and one recycling bin for six similar houses!

shzl400

14-12-2007 12:47 PM

robwinton wrote:

Mrjamon wrote:
Sent mine.

Thanks!

Maybe for that very reason - maybe trying to appear impartial?

Even if he has a house here, there is no guarantee he does any shopping or even spend much time here. Has anyone seen him around, just being a local resident?

Yes, I did, around the time when the plans for the huge development behind Tyson Road/Christian Fellowship Centre were up for consideration (spaking of which, what's the latest on that?) I caught him on the corner of Tyson & Devonshire and asked him what his position was on the development. He said that he was deliberately keeping at arms length, so as to keep his personal interests separate.

So there may be something in that: although he is local, he might actually the worst person to ask for action, because then he could potentially be accused of favouring his own neighbourhood.

Ananas

14-12-2007 04:20 PM

Wow - I got a response!! The station being revamped "at some point in the future" isn't really a solid answer but to be honest I wasn't even expecting a reply (hoping for yes, but not expecting). Let's hope they provide some answers about the pools sooner rather than later...

Thank you for your good wishes for the season.

Like you I was delighted with the recognition of the Horniman Museum - as a Trustee of the Museum I know how hard the staff work there to make it the marvellous place it is. We are currently working on ambitious plans to make the gardens even better, and no doubt you will be hearing more about this in the year ahead.

As you didn't mention Forest Hill Library, word may not have reached you that it is now open again after being given a thorough revamp - the interior of the building is a tremendous period piece, and can be seen to much better effect now that it has been opened up. The Library is now equipped to a very modern standard, and is a much more welcoming place - it is also open 7 days a week!

Of the specific issues you mentioned, only the Pool is in my direct control. As you may know I want to see the Pool refurbished, and have put aside ?5m to do this. Various technical experts have been working on the building, and have raised some serious concerns about the risks associated with renovating the actual pool itself, and the associated plant because its age. We are currently evaluating this, and hope to be able to let people know what will be happening in the new year.

We have been pressing the railway companies about the station - it will be improved at some point in the future as part of the East London Line project on which construction work has just started. The Council encourages business development in Forest Hill as it does throughout the borough but we cannot regulate the market which determine whether or not shops open or close.

I am afraid I cannot agree with the assertion that Forest Hill has not been given priority - apart from the investment in the Library, Forest Hill Boys school opened a new Sports Hall which is available for public use last year, and work on an entire new school is nearing completion. If you are seeking further capital investment for the area beyond that already made or set aside for the pools, it could only come by taking it from other areas which have yet to receive a similar investment, and despite my own commitment to Forest Hill as a resident for more than 25 years, I have a duty to be fair to the whole of the borough of Lewisham.

Yours sincerely

mayor, Steve Bullock

Tersie

14-12-2007 04:28 PM

Yes I got the same message too - fair play to Sir Steve, at least he replied, will see what happens re the pool and station in the coming year!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Merry Christmas & Happy Hogmanay P1971 2 3,509 25-12-2015 02:28 PM
Last Post: milliemop