SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Rivoli Ballroom
robwinton

03-01-2008 04:07 PM

Brockley Nick wrote:
Full story now on Brockley Central, but the listing has been confirmed by English Heritage.
http://brockleycentral.blogspot.com/2008...itage.html

Great news Brockley Nick, thanks

Now we need to hep think "what next?" because if the current owners want to retire and sell the business (that has probably just lost a pretty substantial % of its value by being much more difficult to develop) there need to be some ideas of who should take it over and what they could do to revitalise interest in it.

I must admit I have never been there. I have also never seen any adverts for events taking place there (other than this New Year's Eve party). Are there listings somewhere we could put up here?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SophieBee

03-01-2008 05:58 PM

robwinton wrote:
I must admit I have never been there. I have also never seen any adverts for events taking place there (other than this New Year's Eve party). Are there listings somewhere we could put up here?

I just had a quick search and found the Rivoli's own website, which has basic details on their upcoming events plus some links to those who host regular and themed nights. Not sure whether I can post the link under forum rules, but it is easily googleable (that's a technical term you know).

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robwinton

03-01-2008 06:11 PM

Thanks SophieBee. I know you are being very careful with the rules (quite rightly!) but I'm sure this is quite acceptable as being of interest rather than an advert, so to save the need for googleisation (technical term?) here is the link:

http://www.therivoli.co.uk/

This looks of interest - anyone for a fancy dress party that is

Quote:
"the place to go for everyone of any sexuality and gender identity who loves to dress up and dance."

robwinton

04-01-2008 07:07 PM

As I expected, Mr Mannix (the owner of the Rivoli) is a little less than pleased about the latest developments

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/lewgre...llroom.php

Poppy9560

12-08-2008 07:24 PM

Does anyone know what they are filming outside The Rivoli Ballroom this evening? The caravans and location vans etc are parked up in the Guys Hospital playing fields on Brockley Rise

bigbadwolf

12-08-2008 08:57 PM

They are filming 'Me and Orson Wells' for release in 2009.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1175506/

liz

25-08-2008 12:20 PM

But if you want to see The Rivoli on screen before then, go and see "Miss Pettigrew lives for a day." The Rivoli even features on the posters. The location vans on that occasion used the HOP recreation ground car park when they were filming which makes HOP the Hollywood of SE23.

liz

26-08-2008 04:13 PM

Actually, even if you do want to see The Rivoli on screen, I wouldn't recommend "Miss Pettigrew." Rubbish, although the Rivoli does look lovely in it.

RodSE23

28-08-2008 12:30 PM

I recognised the Rivoli in an old S Club Seven video. Due to this thread, I googled it and found the following fasinating link about loads of other famous artists who have used this beautiful venue for films and pop videos:

http://transpont.blogspot.com/2007/06/wh...ckley.html

Sophiebabe

23-05-2009 04:18 PM

Rivoli ballroom costume party night on 13th June.

A friend of mine has told me that the magic theatre party nights are back at the rivoli ballroom. He's got some great pictures of the night, they really look good fun nights. I went to one night at the rivoli, but it was all 'proper' dancing... tango, waltz and alike, but this was more modern music and just going for it! My friend knows the promoters well, they are trying to help keep the rivoli open after the recent troubles of the owner selling up. They don't normally do this kinda nights here... it's normally strictly ballroom. So come on all.... Thumbsup

This is the website magic theatre

hmmm... I may have to dig out my nurses outfit for that night!!! Laugh

Tersie

24-05-2009 04:42 PM

I sometimes go to Jackies Jukebox on the first sat of every month with mates, it is not fancy dress although some people dress up a bit, the atmosphere is really fab, it is a really good night out. Would love to go to the Magic Theatre but have other plans that night, will def try and go to the next one, looks great fun Thumbup

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields