SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Best wishes to Jim Dowd MP
roz

16-11-2009 12:44 PM

I wasn't aware of this until this morning but have had some Labour Party info through my door which confirmed that Jim Dowd MP had major heart surgery in September, and is still recovering albeit slowly and after a few setbacks. I believe that not a lot of people were/are aware of this but the information appears just to have been made public.

I would like to personally take this opportunity to start up a thread to wish Jim all the best for his recovery and for a speedy return to good health.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

18-11-2009 11:55 AM

Just had surgery myself. Slightly less serious than this though.

Not a party follower, but wishing him a fast recovery.

Curious question though, what happens while he is unable to work? Not complaining but never thought about what happens when an MP is in longterm recovery..

Get well soon Jim.

Sherwood

18-11-2009 12:14 PM

They still get paid.
But the problem is who does their work.

Best wishes to Jim for a speedy recovery.

roz

18-11-2009 01:10 PM

Probably their parliamentary assistants? I believe both his parliamentary and constituency office is very much open for business to people in need of assistance and advice. Difficult situation as you're very much your own boss as an MP hence no automatic cover when ill or indisposed.

gingernuts

18-11-2009 04:06 PM

I trust his time in a general ward at Lewisham hospital was comfortable, clean and efficient - or did he go private by any chance?

michael

18-11-2009 06:03 PM

I don't know whether he used the NHS (I expect so), but I find it in pretty poor taste that anybody should be trying to score political points regarding his health choices while he is still recovering from major surgery.

Once he has recovered, say what you want, but until then let us all wish him a speedy recovery. He is a human being and a local resident, not just a politician.

And I'm sorry if I'm being a bit preachy, but I really do feel that party politics can stay out of an individual's recovery from heart surgery.

gingernuts

18-11-2009 06:32 PM

Michael - stop being soppy.

I wouldnt wish anyone ill health - but he is a politician with all the trappings that come with the priviledge - and that was his choice. I would like to think that he did in fact use a local hospital and was treated well, in a clean ward, free from blood stains and MRSA.

So I wish Mr Dowd well and good health - especially if he used Lewisham hospital!

AMFM

20-11-2009 10:22 AM

He's not being soppy - you're being tasteless.

Geoff

20-11-2009 10:40 AM

It's Panto season---all together "OH NO HE'S NOT"

gingernuts

20-11-2009 02:00 PM

sorry to have caused offence. I'll wait until he's well then lay into the political debate. Geez.

Sherwood

20-11-2009 04:46 PM

In SE23 we don't kick a man when he is down.

gingernuts

20-11-2009 05:15 PM

I didnt realise it was a kick, more of a gental nudge. Look, I recognise it was a bit naughty of me, I honestly wish Mr Dowd well and apologies if any offense has been taken. However, the condition of our NHS hosptials is a real issue and probably one for another thread.

Snazy

20-11-2009 11:12 PM

I didnt find your comments tasteless GN, not at all in fact.

Im sure it was a private affair, but I know exactly what you mean.
Having used Lewisham a few times for surgery now, as well as private, I would have to say there is not much in it other than the surroundings.

Its painful being there, the food is "ok" and regardless of * rating, all you wanna do is go home lol

Fair play for speaking your mind, im sure he would not take offence.

Get well soon.

Roz, cheers for the comments too, that would make sense indeed.

michael

01-12-2009 06:25 PM

Jim Dowd in Parliament wrote:
Since the House rose for the summer recess, I have received extensive cardiac treatment at Lewisham hospital and a bypass operation at King's College hospital in September. The service that I received throughout that period, and which I continue to receive, has been exemplary. As a beneficiary of the services of the NHS, I cannot speak highly enough of the services in south-east London

Source: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?i...176#g863.2

Good to see him back at work.

davidl

02-12-2009 10:57 AM

Given some of the arguments from earlier in the thread, isn't it slightly ironic that the man himself used his treatment to make a political point around standards within the NHS?

Baboonery

02-12-2009 12:32 PM

Well, no, because he's asking a question out of a matter of personal as well as professional interest. The points earlier in the thread were just unfounded snipes.

jon14

02-12-2009 03:06 PM

Baboonery, as a Labour MP, do you really think Jim Dowd would have come out and said his treatment was rubbish if it had been so?

Baboonery

02-12-2009 03:23 PM

I don't know. I've got no evidence one way or the other. I'm just dismayed at the childish reactions displayed upthread and the desire to jump on him at all times.

He has an operation: "Oh, went private I bet, nudge nudge?"
Actually, no, he didn't.

He mentions this in parliament when asking a legitimate question: "Oh, he's using his illness to make a political point"
Er, no he didn't. Do you want him to be forbidden from mentioning it? Anyway, it's his illness, he can do what he likes with it. Not yours, you can't.

jon14

02-12-2009 03:37 PM

Fair enough, but I think you're a bit naive if you think any politician from the serving government of the day would stand up in parliament and say the NHS was awful, even if it was. Not unless he's an axe to grind. It wouldn't be worth his job.

Baboonery

02-12-2009 03:47 PM

I refuse to criticise a man for something he hasn't done.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields