SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Our Police Force - A Time To Reflect
Ex FH Pat

27-11-2009 11:21 AM

Maybe today we should think for a min or two and be thankful that we have them as today is when the brave bobby in Cumbria laid to rest, afterall he was just a normal married family man who was serving his community and paid the ultimate price

So lets have a min or two to say thanks to the policeforce - even you you think they are c**p

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

27-11-2009 10:29 PM

Indeed, I agree with you entirely, this is a sad loss of someone who clearly was a very brave man, and a pillar of his community, however it is unfortunate that the calibre and extent of community spiritedness in the entire police population does vary so much, that people cannot help but be cynical. The Met always had the worst reputation nationally ( ie Home Office employed, take what you can get etc), and I'm not sure whether that has changed, The best examples of worst cases are probably the pushing over of Ian Tomlinson, a bystander at the G20 demos, who subsequently died, and the fabrication that followed, and the initial cooking up of various stories immediately following the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes at Stockwell, ie he jumped over barriers and created suspicion etc, when it was clear that he behaved normally.

I don't think you wanted to spark off a debate here, but unfortunately its probably unavoidable however I do agree that some individuals in the force do a great deal for their community, risking their lives in the process and they should be praised for this.

Another experience that I won't forget is a few years ago driving to the south west we encountered or rather narrowly avoided by having to swerve dangerously a bike on the M4 middle lane which had dropped off the back of a car. This was on the Berks/Wilts border at dusk . We called the police from the car and they seemed a little vague. When we stopped at a service station a few minutes later ( in Wilts) we approached a police car and asked them to check that something had been done about it. They refused point blank to do anything as it was in their own words, ' not their problem'. They wouldn't budge on this. Thankfully there appeared to be no casualties but if cars doing 70 had run into the bike there would have been many fatalities.

Unfortunately my own experience over the years of UK/London police in many situations has not been that wonderful- I wish I could say otherwise.

Snazy

28-11-2009 07:55 PM

I have had MANY interactions with the police, mostly Met, and have to say as a whole I am delighted and very grateful for their efforts. Effective, efficient, and dedicated are just a few words I would use.

Just like supermarket cashiers, bus drivers, and call centre people, most are great, but a few rotten ones ruin it for the rest.

I support the actions of the police force 99.9% of the time, and have to say even in some of the more questionable matters, there are factors that make it understandable.

RIP PC Barker. Condolences to his family.

One thing I have to add.... If there were more people willing to do something and not just be an onlooker/rubbernecker etc, it would make such a big difference. I could give many examples but wont bore you all with my experiences Laugh

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields