SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Park Rise Road
Owlet

15-11-2009 02:42 PM

Hello,

I'm new to the area and looking to buy a house on Park Rise Road - just off Stanstead Road (near St Germans Road, Montem Road and Brockley Rise). Does anyone live in this area and can tell me what its like? Is it safe?

Thanks very much

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

18-11-2009 12:03 PM

Its not a bad area at all. Have a look on the local crime maps on the Met website.
Im sure like all other parts it has its fair share of kids etc, but not a bad area.
Keep in mind that hills and kids usually come together. In the summer its bikes and skateboards, and winter its sleds.

Not a bad thing though.

Snazy

18-11-2009 12:04 PM

Here ya go, link to the maps.

http://maps.met.police.uk/

Owlet

19-11-2009 09:15 PM

Thank you for your reply, thats reassuring to know Smile. Its soooo hard to know what the area is REALLY like before you buy!

Snazy

20-11-2009 11:15 PM

I would make a point (if possible) of passing by, or loitering for a while one weekend afternoon/evening if you have time before you buy. Weekends are usually a good indicator of the worst case scenario.

Like I say though, as a whole FH does not tend to suffer the problems of some denser populated areas. Not perfect, but a happy average.

Hawkesrah

12-12-2009 09:15 PM

Owlet
I regularly deliver leaflets in SE23 and know the area well. There is no place that is absolutely safe but Park Rise is not too bad. There are several factors which may or may not put you at risk. It could be your sex, physical build or the the time of the day etc. There was an incident in St Germans Road about 9 months ago where a slim black man of about 6ft hit another man over the head with a hammer in an unprovoked attack. This occurred at about 1.30am when it was dark. A good source of danger pointers is the South London Press (Tuesdays & Fridays).

Owlet

14-12-2009 01:16 PM

Ah thanks Hawkesrah. By 'not too bad' what do you mean?!!

Ghis

14-12-2009 01:44 PM

I live further up, towards Crofton Park. There is the Honor Oak Pub around the corner of the street you mention, which was one sign of the area starting to perk up. The area around Honor Oak is getting nicer and nicer so I think it will eventually start to catch up further down towards the South Circular. You could also try to look further North towards Honor Oak and Crofton Park as shops and transport will be nicer there.

Hawkesrah

14-12-2009 08:14 PM

Owlett,
When I said, "Not too bad" I was really referring to local facilities such as shopping / Train station and was not referring to risk. I rely on Sainsburys which is in London Road and I live on Church Rise which means I only have a short walk to get competive prices and also I only have a short walk to get to the station. Short walks equal less risk though if travelling by night.

You may need to assess exactly what you need and then pick the best location.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields