SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Willmott's Experiences
Legs11Eleven

07-12-2007 10:54 AM

Can you all give me your experiences with the HOP Willmott's estate agent?

We rent a 3 bed maisonette on HOP. When we moved in we were told our rent was higher than others in the street as ?55,000 had been spent renovating it.

Last week I had to make a complaint about some illegal behaviour on their part and 2 days later received a letter to state that:

They're putting up our rent for next year
We have 7 days to say if we're staying, even though that's before the 2 month notice stated in our contract, or we have to pay ?60
PLUS to renew the contract it's going to cost ?45.

Is there anyone with Willmott's who has also had their rent put up, or if you ARE with Willmott's and have NOT received this letter, can you also please let me know.

I'd really appreciate as many people as possible who are with Willmott's to get in touch with me. Thank you loads!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tersie

11-12-2007 10:11 AM

Legs11Eleven wrote:
Can you all give me your experiences with the HOP Willmott's estate agent?

We rent a 3 bed maisonette on HOP. When we moved in we were told our rent was higher than others in the street as ?55,000 had been spent renovating it.

Last week I had to make a complaint about some illegal behaviour on their part and 2 days later received a letter to state that:

They're putting up our rent for next year
We have 7 days to say if we're staying, even though that's before the 2 month notice stated in our contract, or we have to pay ?60
PLUS to renew the contract it's going to cost ?45.

Is there anyone with Willmott's who has also had their rent put up, or if you ARE with Willmott's and have NOT received this letter, can you also please let me know.

I'd really appreciate as many people as possible who are with Willmott's to get in touch with me. Thank you loads!

Can you share this illegal behaviour with us pls? I know some time ago they were putting up "to be rented" signs up everywhere illegally, the whole of HOP looked like a horrible Willmotts advert. As a result of a few of us getting together and complaining they took them all down. From talking to some of the local business folk Wilmotts seem intent on driving their rents through the roof too, which unfortunately means that some might not be able to survive in the future. I am sure I saw some info on another post here about an organisation you can contact to complain about them - does anyone know who this would be??

Legs11Eleven

11-12-2007 11:53 AM

Hmmmmm.. interesting. Thanks for the info!

Basically they let a contractor enter our property without letting us know or warning us. He then proceeded to mess up our bathroom (every single product dumped in the sink leaking, whole toilet roll dumped down the toilet blocking it, sealer stuck all over the toilet seat) and left a rude note in red capital letters on our toilet seat implying that we are unable to use a bathroom without throwing half of tonne of water all over the floor.

Quite a shocking thing to return home to after work, and if I had come home to find a strange man there I would have whacked him over the head, screamed and called the police....

But apparantly Willmotts did not like me pointing out that this is in breach of the contract, and illegal, so they seem to be on a hunt to get us out. Show us who's boss kind of thing.

I checked with neighbours, their rent is not increasing next year.

Tersie

11-12-2007 01:08 PM

Legs11Eleven wrote:
Hmmmmm.. interesting. Thanks for the info!

Basically they let a contractor enter our property without letting us know or warning us. He then proceeded to mess up our bathroom (every single product dumped in the sink leaking, whole toilet roll dumped down the toilet blocking it, sealer stuck all over the toilet seat) and left a rude note in red capital letters on our toilet seat implying that we are unable to use a bathroom without throwing half of tonne of water all over the floor.

Quite a shocking thing to return home to after work, and if I had come home to find a strange man there I would have whacked him over the head, screamed and called the police....

But apparantly Willmotts did not like me pointing out that this is in breach of the contract, and illegal, so they seem to be on a hunt to get us out. Show us who's boss kind of thing.

I checked with neighbours, their rent is not increasing next year.

Hi Legs11Eleven

Sounds like they are trying to make life difficult for you. Funny enough I had a similar problem when I was renting, but it was through a private landlord so took it up directly with him....however this organisation might be a good start to help you out. Good luck!!

http://www.oea.co.uk/

soulrider

11-12-2007 02:20 PM

You can challenge a rent increase, if you think it is above current market conditions for the area, this can delay the process of putting up rent for at least a month because a governing body will check to see if the rise in rent is suitable to the current market. Also, they should give you a months warning before they put the rent up and give you a mont hto reply. Citizens advice bureau is helpful: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/fami...g_the_rent

i cant remember what site it is that can help you challenge the rent.

The good thing is the law is on your side. You could just not pay rent it will take 3 months before they get a court order, and i know a landlord that has had a tenant for 2 years without paying rent, they cant do much. and if they enter your property catch them on camera and report them for breaking and entering.

soulrider

11-12-2007 02:22 PM
roz

11-12-2007 06:08 PM

soulrider wrote:

The body that protects you against bad practice is ARLA- that is, if Willmots are members. There used to be Private Tenants person in the Council- you could try them also.

You could also try and communicate directly with your landlord, as it is they with whom you are in contract, not Willmotts. Address a letter to the owner, post it to yourself, and then pass it to Willmotts for forwarding on to the landlord. They may not be happy either with bad management practices as effectively Willmots are putting their income at risk. It may also not be their idea to put the rents up. Additionally it may be someone junior at Willmotts thats making all these gaffes. You could try and speak to a senior partner. From experience, a lot of estate agents take on the letting and management function without training their staff in good and legal practice.

Generally rent increases can only happen at renewal stage ie you are bound to pay an agreed rent for an agreed period. To put the rent up during the term is a variation of terms which can only be done if both parties agree. What term did you take the property for?
I am not sure whether open market rents have the same protection any more, pr whether its relevant as to what others pay for similar properties, but best of luck if you can challenge this. I think the renewal cost of ?45 is probably standard and is somewhere in your terms and conditions.

They have a right to send contractors in in emergency situations such as leaks etc, especially in flats, however it is generally both breach of contract and breaking the law ( eg harassment) to enter a tenanted property without notice and to do works causing damage, etc. They sound like they havent a clue how to manage.

Legs11Eleven

14-12-2007 12:23 PM

Thanks ever so much for all the help and advice offered - it's all been really useful. We've sought out independent advice and have been in touch with Willmott's, awaiting a response.

Unfortunately after we signed our contract we discovered the landlord is the boss of Willmott's - not what they admitted to before we signed!

Do keep the experiences and advice coming, everything is greatly welcomed and appreciated...

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields