SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Am I a Scrooge but....?
Theotherbrian

11-12-2007 06:20 PM

On my way from the station, I popped into Sainsbury's for a few item but left without most of them. This was not because of the (in)famous empty shelf syndrome but Cursing the loud muzac blaring out. This has never been the case before, apparently it's "for Christmas". What idiot in Central Office thought that it would be jolly for the hapless customer to be regaled by endlessly regurgitated "Christmas Hits"? I feel sorry for the assistants having that forced on them as well. If this is the case in Dulwich, Christmas will have to come courtesy of the nearest Tesco or Waitrose. I hope I am not turning into the Victor Meldrew of Forest Hill!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Johnc

11-12-2007 06:34 PM

You wait until they get the staff to dress up as artificially cheery christmas elfs as meeters and greeters. I've also heard, unsubstanciated at this stage, of rumours of mistletoe above the kiosk to trap the unwary.

You have been warned!Scared

Theotherbrian

11-12-2007 07:53 PM

Thanks - you raised a smile.

Londondrz

12-12-2007 08:35 AM

There was a full brass band belting out the Christmas hits in the Bell Green store last Saturday, that was jolly.

Ian

12-12-2007 10:18 AM

Sainsbury's have been doing this jolly Xmas music for years, especially at Bell Green.

I was in our local one the other day and a cheery christmas meeter and greeter was standing in place with Santa hat and tinsel hanging around her neck handing out shopping barskets to the happy customers. Didn't notice any "Yo-Oh-Oh" music thou'.

Brian: Scrooge was a capitalist who wanted to make money, unfortunately he had lazy staff working for him who wanted time off, that isn't good for any business !

Ian - se23's capitalist Mr.Humbug.

One loud voice can make a difference !
Sandy67

12-12-2007 10:47 AM

the "music" annoys me a bit too.. im in there every day Unsure

i cant recall them ever having music in there before (i even worked in there one christmas during my college years (looonngg time ago when they still wore the nasty poo orange dresses)...

i find it takes longer for me to get the christmas spirit this last few years , since they've started shoving it down our throats from the minute the kids go back to school in september

signed

grumpy old humbug woman

Londondrz

12-12-2007 10:53 AM

I have to say that I feel that Christmas "marketing" seems to have started a little later this year, or is it just me?

Baboonery

12-12-2007 10:54 AM

Londondrz wrote:
I have to say that I feel that Christmas "marketing" seems to have started a little later this year, or is it just me?

When the 'Back to School' rack in Sainsbury's was directly succeeded by the first knockings of Xmas? I'd say it's just you.

Sandy67

12-12-2007 10:56 AM

Baboonery wrote:

Londondrz wrote:

When the 'Back to School' rack in Sainsbury's was directly succeeded by the first knockings of Xmas? I'd say it's just you.

no .. it definately started in september ... Mad

Londondrz

12-12-2007 10:57 AM

Baboonery wrote:

Londondrz wrote:

Mmm, might have to take the rose tinted specs off then. I just wish Saisburys would stop b****ring the store layout about on every bloomin "holiday", "celabration" and "marketing event". It hacks me off having to wonder around looking for the new hiding place for eggs etc.

Sandy67

12-12-2007 11:02 AM

hey never mind .... the easter eggs will be in in a couple of weeks !!

Londondrz

12-12-2007 11:04 AM

SANDY67 wrote:

Unsure

Sandy67

12-12-2007 11:08 AM

Londondrz wrote:

SANDY67 wrote:

Unsure

oh ok .... perhaps valentines paraphenalia first LoveScared

Londondrz

12-12-2007 11:17 AM

SANDY67 wrote:

Londondrz wrote:

SANDY67 wrote:

Unsure

oh ok .... perhaps valentines paraphenalia first LoveScared

I think you will find they will bang on about New Years Eve first

Baboonery

12-12-2007 12:09 PM

Londondrz wrote:

I think you will find they will bang on about New Years Eve first

Bang quite literally, with the public order disaster, noise nuisance and rubbish entertainment that are FIREWORKS back on sale.

robwinton

12-12-2007 12:21 PM

Baboonery wrote:
Bang quite literally, with the public order disaster, noise nuisance and rubbish entertainment that are FIREWORKS back on sale.

Baboonery,

would you be willing to write a short list, maybe top 5 or something, of things that make you happy, or at least smile?

I sometimes get the feeling we exist in parallel universes and things I like and enjoy just annoy you. It might help us all to start discussions that raise your spirits too

RobW

Baboonery

12-12-2007 12:36 PM

robwinton wrote:

Baboonery wrote:

Baboonery,

would you be willing to write a short list, maybe top 5 or something, of things that make you happy, or at least smile?

I sometimes get the feeling we exist in parallel universes and things I like and enjoy just annoy you. It might help us all to start discussions that raise your spirits too

RobW

There are plenty of things that I enjoy. As soon as one comes up on here you'll know about it. I don't think it's that unreasonable that things that burn and deafen you, things that bite you and defecate on your doorstep, and things that scream in your ears while their parents sip filter coffee or fruit juice in smug superiority and indifference, don't number among them.

grahamw

12-12-2007 01:05 PM

cheer up you lot, flippin eck!!!SmileLaughSmile

Dotcom

12-12-2007 01:21 PM

GrahamW - Why?

Rofl

nevermodern

12-12-2007 01:29 PM