SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Swine flu vaccine for pregnant women
roz

05-11-2009 06:34 PM

Went to see my GP today, she was very honest and said that I probably knew more about the vaccine than she did - nice to have honesty but very worrying, actually as it really does seem that no one really knows what is going on. My surgery are expecting 500 vaccines in soon however she said that the w/c 16th Nov was still to be confirmed, but despite having 3 high risk indicators, ie late pregnancy, diabetes and asthmatic ( especially the kind of asthma that is triggered by flu) I would still not feature in this first roll out as this is reserved for people with immune suppressed conditions. So in theory it would appear that even if the jab does arrive by 16th Nov, I may not get it anyway, and would have to wait even longer, perhaps beyond my due date. They are getting in Pandremix but Celvanpan will be reserved for those people only with egg allergies. I'm not sure whether this is a restriction imposed on the surgery by HM Govt or whether this is something to do with budgets.

I have decided to try and source an adjuvant free vaccine privately to see how much this is and am also talking to the RCOG , NCT, and a few other bodies about options as I am sure it is possible to obtain other versions of the vaccine for use in the UK if not the one rolled out by the NHS. I'll let you know how I get on!

The good news is my GP reports that there are actually very few cases of swine flu around- its just that pregnant women seem to suffer unduly and disproportionately from the effects, whereas in seasonal flu it is mainly the elderly who suffer. However this to me just adds more confusion to the risk profile - if it is not that prevalent then why take what could be a long term risk on the health of unborn children, which at the end of the day is the bigger and more relevant picture.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Swine flu vaccine for pregnant women - roz - 05-11-2009 06:34 PM