SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Swine flu vaccine for pregnant women
roz

29-10-2009 01:35 PM

The problem with the swine flu vaccine though as opposed to the MMR jab is that the former has been around for some time and the swine flu vaccine is new and there are suspicions about the speed at which it has been produced and the degree to which it has been rushed through production in order to satisfy public cravings for something to be done. Whether this is a justifiable statement or not I really don't know but would love to find out.

Whether or not it is safe for the general population is one thing, but no one trials drugs on pregnant women and their unborn children so the risks to that particular group remain very unclear and will do for some time. All that can be done is to make assumptions from similar drug groups.

I do know from other websites a few pregnant women who have had swine flu and whilst unpleasant they and their unborn child seems to have survived without any harm being incurred. The main threat as I can tell is high fever over a period of time as that if unchecked has the potential to damage the foetus. Apart from that, pregnant women have lower immunity and hence like other vulnerable groups such as the elderly and asthmatics are at risk of particular bad side effects of the flu which more resilient individuals can fight off.

What I would like to see is more information made available on the pros and cons so that people can make a more informed choice. Currently I personally feel I will be summoned into my surgery in a week or so to have it there and then without the full information being made available and I don't feel comfortable about that at all.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Swine flu vaccine for pregnant women - roz - 29-10-2009 01:35 PM