SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Extension of Lewisham's Garden Waste Collection
councillorsusanwise

26-10-2009 06:49 PM

Lewisham Council's free garden waste service at 5 collection sites has been extended to Sunday 29/11/09.
The service is available at Landemann Way New Cross, Laurence House car park SE6, Girton Road car park SE26, Riddons Road Grove Park and Kitto Road Telegraph Hill.
This refuse truck collection is available from 9am to 12noon Saturday and Sunday.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tripandfuschia

12-04-2010 07:23 PM

can you inroduce a free collection service for those who choose not to own cars? from their own homes or failing that how about a service I know of in a rural Conservative council where residents choose to pay 50 p per week for a green bin which will be emtied fortnighly instead of £10 for a few plastic bags which are not only bad for the environment, but imoractical as they rip when you fill them with garden waste. Could Lewisham also join it's neighbouring councils, Southwark and Greenwich, in collecting Christmas Trees or could they at leats tell us hiw non car owners can dispose of their trees?

calvin

13-04-2010 07:42 AM

What a timely post; I was searching for garden waste in Lewisham, to find out that somehow without a car I am supposed to get to Catford and leave my 4 bags of roots, leaves and other garden waste in the council carpark. Plus the two Christmas trees that people have thoughtfully dumped over my garden fence! Perhaps TfL would let me, two small children plus a buggy, two Christmas trees and 4 bags of garden waste on the bus?

When I called the council, they said I could buy the roll of garden waste bags but the trees are my responsibility because they're in my garden and they can't pick them up, even if I pay...

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

13-04-2010 08:51 AM

I believe you can find the addresses of all your local councillors and MPs (and their gardens) on the Lewisham website...I wonder which one has a garden (with a low fence) closest to you...

calvin

13-04-2010 10:23 AM

Close enough to save me the trip on the bus Wink

tripandfuschia

13-04-2010 12:43 PM

I did pose the following idea to a recycilg officer once. She had told me that the reason Lewisham did not collect garden waste, ( unlike Southwark ) is that it is environmentally unfriendly for a lorry to drive around. I explained to her that it was cheaper for me to hire a taxi and take my garden waste ( driver permitting ) to friends who live in Southwark and to place it in their green bins, than it was to buy plastic bags from Lewisham, even though I pay a lot of money to Lewisham each month in council tax. Also the plastic bags are often 50% air, if they have twigs /large cuttings in etc, which means any lorry driving around to collect them is not being that efficient. My point about the rural area I know is that with imagination the problem is easily solved, especially in a densely populated area of inner London. I have had a leaflet from Steve Bullock and Jim O'Dowd just about recycling. Now is perhaps a good time to raise such issues, they might be more inclined to listen than they have previously seemed. Are there many votes in recycling properly and environmental issues? I hope so.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Food waste collection - outfoxed! SEN 38 24,261 15-08-2018 06:14 AM
Last Post: Erekose
  Lewisham live-garden waste recycling juels 11 9,752 11-05-2016 01:24 PM
Last Post: dlf75
  Lewisham Council consultation on changes to waste and recycling admin 5 7,057 10-09-2015 07:14 AM
Last Post: 152047
  Garden Waste Pico 8 9,180 02-10-2012 03:42 PM
Last Post: Tinkerbell
  Lewisham Life - Soviet era propaganda or just and egregious waste of money? 152047 10 11,679 21-12-2011 09:53 PM
Last Post: Deano
  Lewisham Council Free Green Garden Waste Collection Sites councillorsusanwise 0 4,313 09-03-2010 08:21 PM
Last Post: councillorsusanwise