SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Fares increases
Baboonery

20-10-2009 01:59 PM

Season tickets aren't rising, though. So if you can afford to pay up front, or have an employer who can lend you the money so to do, then you don't have to do your bit for the funding gap.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

20-10-2009 02:20 PM

lol no worries mate. No offence taken this end Smile

Yup your right, they will go up. Nothing wrong with letting people know that you think it sucks. Any rise is unwanted. But given that its needed, im fine with it.

Hopefully I wont be on buses for much longer now, so care even less lol.

Perryman

20-10-2009 10:12 PM

"Suppose really is pointless moaning as the cost will still rise "

If we all sat back and said that the rise is fair and reasonable - bring it on, then pretty soon the fare would be ?120.00.
This still might prove good value to some, and that is fine as everyone's view is valid.
But I'm surprised that more havent queried how exactly a 20% increase is justified - it does not seem to be news at all.

Ex FH Pat

21-10-2009 07:10 AM

"If we all sat back and said that the rise is fair and reasonable - bring it on, then pretty soon the fare would be ?120.00."

Im not saying we al should be happy with it - yet what can we do about it, nothing

I did see that the London Councellors have just rewarded themselves with a noce 20% pay rise, very odd that it is the same amount that the bus fares are going up

Ex FH Pat

22-10-2009 09:01 AM

Well appears that maybe Boris is looking after his old etonian friends in tractor land

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8319420.stm

Johnc

22-10-2009 10:20 AM

I am guessing that it will mean cutting services off peak, rather than curtailing routes. I appreciate that buses cost more to run empty, but drivers have to be paid anyway, so not sure it will help the revenue situation much.

Ex FH Pat

22-10-2009 12:05 PM

Exactly - drivers sitting around with no buses and still having to be paid, economics of the mad house

If they had put the CC up to ?25 - then maybe some of our strockbroker yuppies who drive into the city every day would have stopped being so snobbish and chose to use public transport, whcih would have given more money to TFL or if thue chose to stay in their cars, then still more money for TFl, but no, lets not clobber the rich & wealthy, lets steal from the poor and low paid, like i said before, beware it the Tories win the next election

Londondrz

22-10-2009 12:16 PM

As someone who rode a motorcycle into the City every day I did not see many Yuppies in expensive cars driving into the City as there is very little parking for them. Not everyone who makes money in the City is a yuppie, have a beer in a pub in Leadenhall Market and the accent you are most likely to hear is an Essex one.

Get over it.

Ex FH Pat

22-10-2009 12:20 PM

They park in their companys car parks and if you dont see many, then either you helmet has blured your vision or your like all have motorcyclists - all they see is the open road ahead

Like i said - i can afford the rise - yet many on low pay have no other means of transport for work and they are being clobbered

SO GET OVER THAT

Ex FH Pat

23-10-2009 07:48 AM

If all parties are supposed to be all for green issues - can someone please explain why if i travel to Tooting to Sutton or Croydon by bus with the family - the cost is ?4 for all of us, however if i drive - the cost of a car park for 3hrs is only ?2.60

Maybe this is why so many people still use cars and not public transport and why TFL has such a large finance hole to fill

Wish i know the answers to what we could do to get people out of their cars, suppose only option and this would be very steep is to make CC count for all roads

ryananglem

23-10-2009 08:48 AM

Surely thats a false economy? If you added all the MOT, fuel, insurance, repairs and other running costs that owning a car entails and divided by 365 (and then added 2.60) you would get a number far larger number than 4 per day.

Ex FH Pat

23-10-2009 08:54 AM

Yes suppose that needs to be taken into account - however i was just saying that it is still cheaper to drive and park than travel by bus if you exclude these

NewForester

26-10-2009 12:42 PM

Personally I think that buses represent great value. I once travelled on 18 buses in a day for only ?3.30 - equivalent to 18p a journey. The buses are hugely subsidised (?602M pa compared with ?24M in 2000) and despite the fare increases 40% of bus passengers will continue to travel free or at a substantial concessionary rate as the powers that be have protected free and concessionary fares for London's elderly, young people and those on low incomes.

The One Day Oyster PAYG price cap will go up by 50p in order to match the current paper ticket, reflecting the fact that shortly Oyster will be valid on all national rail services within Greater London as with the current paper ticket. It is not clear from the press release if this applies to the 'bus and tram only' option which is currently capped at ?3.30.

As to the 'one stop hoppers', why not suspend the bus stops outside schools during the half hour before and after school starts/ends? This way the youngsters would be forced to walk some of the way to school (never did me any harm).

While on the subject of transport, please remember to let Boris know your views. His Transport Strategy for the next 20 years is currently open for public comment. It's a weighty tome and only covers generalities, but for a quick overview read the summary,bus, train and tube. There are numerous roadshows (only 5 in neglected South London) of which the nearest to Forest Hill are:

October 30, 2009 - Bromley Central Library - 6.1 Km.
High St, Bromley, Kent, BR1 1EX
09:30 - 17:30

November 11, 2009 - Whitgift Centre - 6.2 Km.
Croydon, Surrey, CR0 1LP
09:00 - 19:00

December 07, 2009 - City Hall - 7.5 Km.
Greater London Authority, Queens walk, SE1 2AA
08:30 ? 18:00

Ex FH Pat

03-11-2009 09:29 AM

You once travelled on 18 buses for ?3.30 on one day - find that quite hard to believe as the Oyster payg fare is ?1 for each journey

What did you do all day, spend it travelling on buses ?

NewForester

03-11-2009 11:49 AM

I think you need to read up on Oyster PAYG.

Londondrz

03-11-2009 01:14 PM

Thanks for clearning that up NF, some people post before thinking.

Ex FH Pat

03-11-2009 02:10 PM

No I did not post before thinking, I posted before I knew as I only travel one way on the bus to work, then home by tube, so know really nothing about capping as it does not really affect me, so please cut the insults

As I said in earlier threads, Im fine with the cost yet there may be some people on low incomes who will find a ?2 increase per week a bit hard to swallow

Londondrz

03-11-2009 03:53 PM

I am sorry, as a motorcyclist I only look aheadClosedeyes

Ex FH Pat

03-11-2009 03:55 PM

dont blame you - think i will have to start to cycle to work

waste really moaning as they will not put the fares down

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields