SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
URGENT- credit card cloning in SE23
roz

15-03-2008 12:37 PM

We found out yesterday that one of my husbands card has been cloned and used (fortunately unsuccessfully) at an ATM in the United States . Because this particular card has been used extremely infrequently we are able with considerable confidence to trace the problem to a particular local petrol station/supermarket in the vicinity of the Horniman Museum. However we are not sure if the cloning took place whilst paying for petrol or at the ATM.

If you have used this particular location recently , particularly in early March, you might want to check your statements for unusual withdrawals.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

15-03-2008 12:54 PM

Thanks for the warning. I am using card less and less now and only when fairly certain secure.
I never use machine outside buildings

annsquire66

15-03-2008 04:55 PM

Wow, can't believe it's a coincidence but this happened several years ago to my then manager AT THE SAME LOCATION!
It was before it was a supermarket, just a petrol garage but they managed to do a few large transactions in several countries before his bank called him to check the location of his card-which was still in his wallet!
Can't be the same person surely? I wonder if any of the old staff from back then transferred to/ have connections with the current business- sure the police would be interested...

Sherwood

15-03-2008 06:23 PM

I was told that credit cards are being cloned in local petrol stations. I always pay cash for my petrol.

Londondrz

16-03-2008 01:35 PM

If using your card at a ptrol station etc ALWAYS cover your pin with you hand. A number of people have been caught out because of cameras hidden in ceilings overhead catching people inputting their pin numbers.

Grangerover

17-03-2008 12:16 PM

Roz, I presume you have passed on your concerns about the location to the police?

roz

17-03-2008 01:25 PM

Apparently the banks fraud department notify the police as the bank are the victims.
It still amazes me how efficient they are detecting fraudulent activity- we were ripped off a few years ago whilst we were in Spain and credit card cheques ( dreadful things) were being used in the UK to buy a car. The computer picked up that the cheques had been signed the same day as cash withdrawals were being made in Barcelona- by us. However these may only be the ones we know about, so we are now intent on checking every statement that comes through the door.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Man caught on CCTV using credit card stolen from elderly SE23 lady hillview 0 3,223 24-09-2018 07:42 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Card Cloning at Co-op Cash Point michael 1 3,928 02-02-2013 10:53 PM
Last Post: michael
  Found: A credit-debit card by Sunderland Road PeckhamRose 0 3,812 30-12-2009 04:34 PM
Last Post: PeckhamRose