SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Alarm Going Off at Night in Mayow Road Area
rshdunlop

05-10-2009 02:08 PM

This is an odd one. Almost every night for the past six weeks to two months, I've been woken up by a burglar alarm going off at about 3 am. It only goes off for about 30 seconds. It's the same length of time each time - and end abruptly. Sometimes I hear it during the day, but mostly at night. Because it is short, and in the middle of the night, I can't find out where it is coming from! Has anyone else heard it?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

05-10-2009 09:30 PM

Could this be just someone coming in to their house at 3am, perhaps from a night shift, and putting in the wrong code? Even our alarm beeps a bit even with the right code until the code is fully entered and recognised.

rshdunlop

05-10-2009 09:51 PM

No, that's not it. We have an alarm too, and I know the beeping you get when you come in or got out. This is the actual siren going off (I know what that sounds like too, when I forget I've set the system at night and open the kitchen door!)

roz

06-10-2009 06:46 PM

Alarms can go off for odd reasons, such as a temporary and brief power outtages, which does happen a lot around here in the middle of the night, as we have found that our alarm needs resetting sometimes. Our fax machine used to produce revealing print outs of supply disruption.
We have also been woken up in the middle of the night with the cd player blaring out loud music downstairs. Apparently outtages can bring these to life unexpectedly too! Scary as you think someones broken in and having a party without you in your own home.
These people may have something on a timer , even a central heating timer or cooker timer either coming on or off at 3 am which can overload the electrical system and blow a fuse. If the alarm is on the same circuit as the appliance then it may go off also and need resetting. Thats all I can think of. Good luck with your detective work!

rshdunlop

03-11-2009 10:13 AM

Okay, the alarm is still going off, and now it's not just at night. It happens during the day as well. The alarm sounds for about thirty seconds and then stops mid-bleep. I can hear a front door closing at the same time. It sounds like the alarm is going off as soon as the door is opened, instead of just the usual quieter warning sound you get when you need to key in your code. I keep dashing out, trying to find out which of my neighbours it is, but it has always stopped by the time I get out! Clearly someone's system has a fault - but this has been going on for about six months now. I get woken up most nights with it, still.

To add insult to injury, there has been another alarm going off at night - one of those high pitched ones that you get on commerical buildings and sound when an alarmed door is open. I suspect it might be at Forest Hill School.

Maybe I'll just have to resort to having a afternoon nap until I can track down the culprits!

BarCar

03-11-2009 11:48 AM

Can't help the alarm problem but these - http://www.earplugsonline.com/ - helped us sleep when we lived in Brixton. Tried many others before finding them...

Snazy

03-11-2009 01:59 PM

Have you tried speaking to Enviromental Services at Lewisham Council ?
Definatly about the one at the school, and mention the other one too.

bill

03-05-2011 10:25 PM

its the warehouse opposite brent knoll school, it goes off all the time, theres not much you can do about it though Mad

Londondrz

04-05-2011 05:53 AM

Contact the council noise abatement team and give them details of when the alarm goes off. Have you also contacted the warehouse owners to tell them the alarm is faulty.

rshdunlop

04-05-2011 06:38 AM

Are you sure it's the warehouse? There was a problem with the Forest Hill school alarm that took about month to sort out and it is still prone to going off at night for no reason, although much less often these days. There is a blue flashing light over the entrance to the school in Dacres Road when it goes off. The number for the security company is posted outside the school and I call them when it goes off. Mysteriously these false alarms don't seem to alert the police or keyholders - it's up to their sleep-deprived neighbours. The school had no idea it was going off.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields