SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Future FH Inhabitant & Transport Links
nickyj

04-12-2007 04:02 PM

Hello Everyone,

Just joined this forum after spending last Saturday in the FH area and deciding with my partner that FH is the place we would like to move to. It seems to have a lovely community feel and vibe about it and everyne on the forum comes across as liking the area.

My main concern is transport links. I work in Euston and my girlfriend in Chalk Farm but we would like to stay in South London (currently Clapham). I see that FH is four stops from London Bridge, just wanted to know how reliable the trains are and is every morning a nightmare in terms of getting on the train? Will I have to squash myself on? Is getting back home after a night in the City also a nightmare?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nevermodern

04-12-2007 04:28 PM

Hi, nickyj. Welcome to the forum Smile It might depend what time you're leaving FH in the morning. I usually get the train into London Bridge between 8.40 and 9 and it's not usually too bad. I'd say I get a seat about 7 days out of 10ish. And it's not too long a journey even if you're standing. Board the train any further in than FH, though (Honor Oak, Brockley) and you end up standing every morning. They're ok in terms of the reliability stakes - and if one is cancelled, at that time in the morning there's not long before another is due anyway. In the evening, I get on the train at LB at around 7.30 and crowding levels are fine.

Betrel

04-12-2007 04:36 PM

Hi nickyj we moved here this July and are loving it, like you we wanted to stay southeast. I get the train in from between 7:30-8:00am and they are really regular, with around 4 trains passing through in that half an hour period. And like nevermordern says, because its such a short journey to London Bridge, standing isn't really a hassle.

Trains back to FH aren't a problem either, London Bridge is always packed with people heading back this way, to date I haven't felt uncomfortable or concerned with it being quiet etc on the train or at the station.

What I would say is remember the East London line is coming which will be amazing when it arrives, but will cause some disruption

Ananas

04-12-2007 05:29 PM

nickyj wrote:
Is getting back home after a night in the City also a nightmare?

I work in the City and normally take the last train home after a night out. It departs London Bridge at 00.26 and is usually (actually, always, so far) on time!

nevermodern

04-12-2007 05:41 PM

I think the one before that is something like an hour earlier, isn't it? Both usually come from Charing Cross, through London Bridge, which is handy if you're out in Soho Smile

Baboonery

04-12-2007 05:42 PM

nevermodern wrote:
I think the one before that is something like an hour earlier, isn't it? Both usually come from Charing Cross, through London Bridge, which is handy if you're out in Soho Smile

nevermodern

04-12-2007 05:44 PM

Sorry... I'm always coming in from Soho that time of night, and the last two direct from Charing X are something like five eleven and five past 12 Smile

PVP

04-12-2007 06:08 PM

It pays to get the first train to LB then change.....

After eating a pasty of course.

nevermodern

04-12-2007 06:32 PM

Those two are handy for the pubs closing. Still manage a pasty, though Smile

kingkong

04-12-2007 11:34 PM

I live in HOP and work in Chalk Farm, near the Roundhouse.

I ride a motorbike to and from work every day, it only takes 35 minutes door to door, 40 minutes on a slow day, and I'm never at the mercy of cancelled trains, overcrowding, delays or standing room only.
Getting a scooter or a motorbike is worth thinking about....

KK

Londondrz

05-12-2007 08:14 AM

Would agree with KK on the scooter/bike thing. I am in the center of Forest Hill and work in the City. It takes me 15-20 min door to door.

kingkong

05-12-2007 10:27 AM

The downside is that you get a bit wet on a day like today, but with the right gear its no worse than walking to and from the station in the rain, and cramming into a carriage with loads of people with wet coats, hair and bags.
KK

Londondrz

05-12-2007 10:30 AM

kingkong wrote:
The downside is that you get a bit wet on a day like today, but with the right gear its no worse than walking to and from the station in the rain, and cramming into a carriage with loads of people with wet coats, hair and bags.
KK

Agreed although after many years of riding I have now got some decent kit so no longer get wet. It is still iffy with current London driving standards but so much beter than the train.

kingkong

05-12-2007 01:37 PM

On a hot sunny day, riding a motorbike around is a truly wonderfulhing - far superior to sitting in sweaty, stuffy trains or buses.

I also drink less now as well that I ride around, not a bad fringe benefit.

ht

05-12-2007 02:04 PM

Hi nickyj, I tend to catch a train to London Bridge between 8.10-8.30. I rarely get a seat, but it's such a short journey to LB, that as said above, even if it's really crowded, it's bearable. Two of the trains that I normally catch keep getting delayed recently, but hopefully that will be short-lived.

In terms of coming home late after a night out, I always catch the 176 bus. (Just because it takes me to the end of my road and I feel safer going that way). It's a good regular 24 hour service, that you can catch from most central bits of London (Trafalgar Square/Waterloo/Oxford St/Tottenham Court Rd etc.) Worth having as a back up if there are train problems.

nevermodern

05-12-2007 02:37 PM

I have to say I find the 176 really useful to get straight into central london if I've got a bit of time on my hands. However, after the pubs close on the weekend it's extremely busy and not so reliable coming back - it's not unusal to have one pass by without stopping because it's full. Although, true, it is 24 hours, which is handy.

Baboonery

05-12-2007 03:07 PM

nevermodern wrote:
I have to say I find the 176 really useful to get straight into central london if I've got a bit of time on my hands. However, after the pubs close on the weekend it's extremely busy and not so reliable coming back - it's not unusal to have one pass by without stopping because it's full. Although, true, it is 24 hours, which is handy.

But the W...a....l...w...o...r...t.............................h
R

o

a

d!

More than once it's taken me 45 minutes to get from King's to the Elephant or vice versa. Sorry, not got that kind of time.

PVP

05-12-2007 03:21 PM

176 - horrible just after the train has finished, though generally very good after 1.30 or so.

Unfortunately it goes not go to the door of the mythical 24 hour bagel shop.

nevermodern

05-12-2007 03:29 PM

Just as well. I can't be doing with mythical shops. It could be like that shop in Mr Benn - you walk in for a cream cheese and smoked salmon beigel, and before you know it someone's slung you a Native-American headdress, and you're having a pow-wow, cavorting with Mini-Haha and Big Chief Forest Hill round an open fire. Smile

And back in time for tea...or breakfast.

Sherwood

05-12-2007 06:33 PM

The 23.04 p.m. back from Charing Cross is only 4 carriages and is always packed.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields