SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Forest Hill in a flood plain? Insurance issues.
XFH

01-01-2011 02:22 PM

There have been floods in Forest Hill. In the late 90's / eary 00's there was some really heavy rainfall. The runoff forced the grates up and Stanstead was like a mini river. The Catford side of Stanstead Road had a puddle about 40 feet long and stretching beyond the middle of the road around the corner of the road opposite Rathfern Road. I remember it well as I was drenched by a bus which shot through the puddle sending water over 6 feet in the air soaking my literally from head to toe. I had parked my car at Forest Hill station but had been forced to come back via Catford as the Forest Hill line was suspended.

I had to go home and change before I picked up the car. There was about a foot of water in the under pass at the railway station and about the same on the road under the railway bridge. I drove down Stanstead and a number of the grates were up with water appearing to be being forced out, and the fire brigade were pumping out a basement a couple of doors from the fire station.

I thought it was a little exceptional so I picked up my elderley neighbour and took her around to show her. I remember the water on Hurstbourne being quite deep in the road too, but I don't know how many people's houses were affected by it though

It is possible that flooding claims were made to the particular company at that time which has affected premiums.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Forest Hill in a flood plain? Insurance issues. - XFH - 01-01-2011 02:22 PM