SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Church submits planning application for CP cinema
roz

24-09-2009 07:26 PM

No, capitalism isn't always great but neither is naivety about the power of the market. Markets can be extreme but in general they work in our favour, ie if people spend money in a local shop its likely to remain open and viable. That is why we no longer have a butchers and a greengrocer in Forest Hill but why they are a plenty in East Dulwich. Everyone went to Sainsburys as the FH income was generally lower than ED hence the competitive prices won the day. Its the same thinking that will probably condemn Forest Hill to having Louise House remaining empty and unused and an eyesore for many years to come, as it is becoming clear that its revenue generating potential is not going to generate adequate investment funding, especially given the exorbitant costs needed to render it functional.

Anyway, don't you think we are all better off focussing on our area and letting the good people of CP fight it out amongst themselves on their own patch.? I would really hate to think that people from outside FH were to play a major part in local decisions that could make or break our town centre. I'll try not to mention Syd Soc of course whose members appear to have played a role in the Louise House problem as its probably time we moved on, but I would be wary of the same problems occurring on other Forest Hill sites. The question of how local should local be in various circumstances is surely an interesting one requiring its own debate.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Church submits planning application for CP cinema - roz - 24-09-2009 07:26 PM