SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Church submits planning application for CP cinema
sydenhamcentral

20-09-2009 07:24 AM

The objection to the Cinema in CP was to build on the crystal Palace site with a horrible multiplex which was inappropriate (and ugly apparently). I don't find it odd to want to make a former cinema into a cinema again.

The people running the campaign are locals. Over 4300 local people have signed a petition to stop the change of use to a church to enable the cinema chain (who are still very much interested) to take it on. The church is not local (and is relocating from Wimbledon I believe). I don't believe the church will benefit the local community in the same way. There are already 9 (I believe) in the local area anyway!

I think a cinema is a local asset. It will bring custom to Crystal Palace (rather than as Roz says taking trade away and to Beckenham). A church can be located anywhere (god knows how many churches have been converted into flats). It's better to keep a building for the purpose to which it was originally designed.

Anyway, for those of you who do want a choice of cinema, look up the link at the top of the thread and support the campaign by contacting Bromley council to protest against the change of use for the building.

The church have deep pockets, I'm sure they will find somewhere else. It's not the end of the world for them. But it will be for any chance of a cinema in Crystal Palace if this goes ahead. There are a lot of empty shops in Crystal palace. They need it.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Church submits planning application for CP cinema - sydenhamcentral - 20-09-2009 07:24 AM