SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Church submits planning application for CP cinema
roz

18-09-2009 05:33 PM

If it was Tesco, I would not really be bothered as I would think that it met a community need and demand, or else it would not be there.However I do not consider myself local enough to this area so if the real locals wanted a Tesco I would not consider it my business to thwart them. The problem enlarges somewhat when a local plus campaign is started up in respect of development proposals some way away and in a different borough.

I recall the good people of CP and surrounds objecting against a cinema development many years ago in a campaign which was very successful. So its a little odd that they now seem to have changed their minds, but perhaps Bromley were offering the wrong kind of cinema, ie blockbusters, as opposed to film noir and other arty stuff.

I still feel it comes across as a bit rough on the church who have bought or are buying the site. Yes, not everything should go to the highest bidder but market forces are important particularly in this climate if anything is to happen and that is why planning policies need to retain an element of fluidity. The reason so many local cinemas close is not because churches are invading the area seeking change of use but because people do not go to them enough. If a church gets more attendance and is more popular amongst local people than a cinema then whats wrong with that.? The reality may be that if the church does not proceed then the building may lie empty for a lot longer. And if the cinema in question is so intent on being here then why aren't they negotiating with the church to buy this site off them?

The Beckenham Odeon is also rather nice and not too far away!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Church submits planning application for CP cinema - roz - 18-09-2009 05:33 PM