SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
NHS
brian

24-08-2009 12:58 PM

Roz
My point is these people usually have relatived who they could ask along who do speak the language.

If people ( accept tourists ) need a tranlator they should pay. I do not think we need signs up encouraging people to ask for translators.
I notice our native languages such as Welsh and Scottish Gaelic are not mentioned on the forms.

I think the health service is great but I am sure any incoming government will have to look for savings even in the NHS . Rather savings be on these
items than medical treatment.

It seems Portugal has no truch with translators.Good on them

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

24-08-2009 01:04 PM

Sorry Roz
Noticed your comments re India
English is widely spoken by the Indian Middle Classes and infact it is the only language which unifies the country , so would expect most doctors to speak it.

Not sure where you are comiing from re refugee ladies. I am glad they are learning English if they wish to stay in UK

I do go abroad but only Belgium and Germany and France ( to transit via Eurostar only ) .

One person who mentioned Portugal seemed to agree with me and I am sure from speaking to others that these blogs are not representative of the local population

Cellar Door

24-08-2009 01:18 PM

brian wrote:
Thank you Katie someone agrees with me.
One EU country has commonsense rules

Cripes, have I just found a sockpuppet? Hot on the heels of mentioning this on another thread.

Firstly, agreeing with brian on this is a little bit unusual, katie one. brian, you say "commonsense". I say "nonsense" to your proposal.

Back to the sockpuppet suspicion. So I, Miss Marple, click on the Find button on katie one's posting, and of only 8 prior postings their last posting, nearly two month's ago, resonated with brian, and occurred 10 mins after brian's post. This is another thing that makes me go hmm.

Wow, I love investigating sockpuppets now. There was that great sockpuppet incident that occurred a few months ago on here. But the sockpuppet had "outed" themselves in a most wonderful, humourous and humble way. And in the end held their hand up (sans sock) to admit it.

brian

24-08-2009 01:51 PM

Cellar Door no need to be insulting as I say I am confident if put to a vote in The UK at least half would agree with me. As I have often bored you with the posters on this site are of a liberal bent. Nothing wrong with that as long as it is appreciated that many others , who do not bother getting involved , do not agree.

Speak to many over 60's about this and other subjects and they are all agree with me.

Surely this is a constructive comment on how to save money for HMG . Guess I will mail the policital parties to see their comments

I also asked what other EU countries did. So far one person has mentioned Portugal who do not pay for translators but no one mentioned any other EU country. I am asking because I do not know ???

Baboonery

24-08-2009 02:06 PM

Brian, how much does the NHS spend on translators in a year?

katie one

24-08-2009 02:24 PM

For the record. I read the forum several times a day, but do not post very often as I only post when what I have to say is relevant to the matter beind discussed or of interest to me, rather than just for the sake of it. i.e. speed limits, I am at work all day so not driving, Jerk Cook Off, have never been and probably never will go, so not interested. Whereas where translators in Portgual are concerned, I have a brother who flits between the UK and there so know what's happening and can comment.

Cellar Door

24-08-2009 02:30 PM

Fine katie one. You can imagine when I see that 7 of 9 (with a nod to the Trekkies) of your infrequent posts happen within an hour or so of Brian?s missives that my eyebrow raises slightly. And your most recent posting above now makes this 8 of 10 (7 of 9?s cousin?).

katie one

24-08-2009 02:40 PM

The last post was actually aimed at you Cellar Door to state that I was in no way connected to Brian. I don't keep my eye on which posts I answer to, so far as I was aware the last time I posted was in relation to the repossession of a commercial property, having worked in the legal profession for the last 28 years, I was able to state that it was different from a private tenancy and the Landlord could just go in and change the locks. Hence I only post when I have something useful to say. If posting replies just for the sake of it would help others see me as an independent poster, than I moer than happy to do so, but I doubt whether it would add anything to the discussion

brian

24-08-2009 02:47 PM

Thank you Katie
Not sure why you should be abused for only making occasional postings especially if you are an expert on the subject.

Cellar Door

24-08-2009 02:50 PM

katie one wrote:
...but I doubt whether it would add anything to the discussion...

Quite correct.
I don't normally keep an eye on posts and timings but having someone agree with brian had both my eyebrows hitting the ceiling. And scrambling to see what else you've written so I could get some texture to your thinking. Even brian above happily exclaims thanks (and surprise?) to your consensus with his view.

Baboonery

24-08-2009 03:19 PM

Are we really setting up one person's experience of one village in rural Portugal as a suitable model or even a vaguely valid comparison with inner London?

Really?

admin
Administrator

24-08-2009 03:42 PM

Cellar Door wrote:
Cripes, have I just found a sockpuppet?

No.

With the extra information available to admins behind the scenes, sockpuppets are trivally easy to detect and even easier to remove.

Case dismissed. Smile

Cellar Door

24-08-2009 03:58 PM

admin wrote:
With the extra information available to admins behind the scenes, sockpuppets are trivally easy to detect and even easier to remove.

Thanks admin. You are correct. Sockpuppets are easy to detect. Meatpuppets on the other hand...

katie one

24-08-2009 03:58 PM

Wow. Brian said he would be interested in what other European countries did in relation to interpreters and I said what happened in rural Portugal, I also added why should they pay for interpretors. and I stick by this they are a relatively poor country.

I have not once suggested that people should be left to die or in pain because they cannot speak English. From my experience where hospitals are concerned, especially Lewisham, and I am there quite a lot with my mum who suffers from a rare illness, they tend to call on staff on duty who speak the language in question to interpet for them.

So for the record, I was only stating that Potugal do not supply interpreters and I back them 100%, as it is expensive. Having said that if they should choose in the future to supply interpretors, i again will back them 100% it is their choice.

BT

24-08-2009 04:37 PM

Lets not forget its not just the NHS who use the services of Interpreters. The Police and Courts are big users too. I knew a lady who used to be on call for the Police and Courts and could be called at any time of the night or day. So the ?100 fee isn't so outrageous when you may have to get out of your bed at 3am to attend a Hospital/Police Station etc.

brian

24-08-2009 05:54 PM

As usual I am being misinterpreted ( sorry about pun )

I am pro NHS and get a great service for my current treatment

I was not surprised when someone simply answered the question as to what other countries in the EU do. Kate answered the question no one else has.

This matter and cost was pointed out to me by a member of the staff at Lewisham who was also complaining about it.

In current climate just trying to find ways of reducing costs to NHS however small. Of course I have no idea how much the translators cost the NHS.

Big cuts are going to have to made whoever wins the next election otherwise foreign investors will not buy Government bonds.

I am not sure why I get such a tirade when simply asking the question as to whether we are unique in doing this or if you were in another EU country ( Germany , Latvia , Italy etc ) whether they would do the same.

May I wish a very good evening to all.

roz

24-08-2009 07:27 PM

The fact is that you are not simply doing what you say you are doing, Brian. You are in fact intimating that certain groups do not deserve reasonable treatment, despite their being entitled to it as if they are not they would still not be treated by the NHS free of charge unless its pregnancy or birth related. Personally I am proud to have a health service that is civilised enough to try and give people the best chances of recovery.

nevermodern

24-08-2009 07:59 PM

You're not being misinterpreted, Brian. The constant theme of your posts - and this is constant across topic - is that Britain is being taken for a ride by an epidemic of scrounging brown-skinned foreigners. And I find your constant 'why pick on me?' assertions as irritating as your views.

Although I'd oddly miss you if you weren't around, strangely enough!!

Cellar Door

24-08-2009 08:46 PM

nevermodern wrote:
And I find your constant 'why pick on me?' assertions as irritating as your views.

Yes, you can perform pulling the "hurt bunny" from the hat only so many times before the audience lose interest.

brian

25-08-2009 01:22 PM

That puts me in my place by people who obviously do not know me or they would not make such comments

True I have campaigned for a halt to immigration as The UK is to crowded but have made it quite clear I mean immigration from anywhere whether Australia , Czech Rep or Sudan.

Not worth further time on this as some of you are very bigoted but I fully maintain my views that immigration should be halted are held by a great many people I talk to.

May God be with you whatever your views

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields