SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
SE23 - Most Burgled. Really?
gingernuts

16-11-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:
Gingernuts - you started off your thread very well, then had to write complete nonsense - yes agree with what you say about Goverenment policies etc, yet if people commit violent crime, then they should be punished, have you ever been the victim ??

eh - thought that was what I said? All crime needs to be punished, but violent criminals need longer sentences - e.g. life must be 30 years or more (not 12 years or less with good behaviour). Government also needs to start addressing the causes of crime as well as the punishment. Not in the way that the Courts feel sorry for individuals becasue of circumstances, but as a programme to reduce the numbers who offend in the first place.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ex FH Pat

16-11-2009 11:12 AM

Apologies Gingernuts - thought you second paragragh was tongue in cheek

Ex FH Pat

17-11-2009 02:13 PM

Wonder if anyone has seen the front of todays Evening Standard

Let me enlighten you - boy of 16 attacked by mob of 20 at bus stop, stabbed and in a stable but serious way

Suppose they did it because of bad education and poor social class

Baboonery

18-11-2009 10:22 PM

Had they been more intelligent, or hung round with better people, then they probably wouldn't have done it, would they? Because intelligent people tend not to think that stabbing people is a good thing to do. If they were better educated they might have been more intelligent.

This isn't rocket science. As long as you keep ignoring the fact that prevention is better than cure, you'll just look like someone who wants to appear hard on criminals, rather than someone who wants there to be less crime.

Nobody's saying they shouldn't be punished now, apart from non-existent caricatures of people who don't immediately suggest that every suspected criminal should be summarily locked up for ever. There appear to be a lot of these, but in my experience they only exist inside the heads of hang em flog em types.

Furthermore, I don't really know what that last post actually means. Are you suggesting that they're all inherently and irrevocably evil from birth? Because that's what it sounds like.

Ex FH Pat

25-11-2009 11:27 AM

yet more poorly educated children & under class - so what do we do with these then, send them on Safari

A GIRL was gang-raped at knifepoint by three teenage boys who filmed the attack on a mobile phone, a court heard on Thursday.

The 13-year-old had walked out of school with a friend after being bullied, it was claimed.

She was then led to the eighth floor of a block of flats in Southwark and subjected to the humiliating ordeal, which was filmed by her attackers, it was claimed.

Tom Wilkins, prosecuting, said two of the boys played with a flick knife in front of the victim.

The alleged attack took place on February 24 and was interrupted by teachers from the girl?s school after her friend raised the alarm, Inner London Crown Court heard.

As the explicit four-minute video was played to the jury, two of the boys sitting in the well of the court with their parents bowed their heads and covered their faces.

In the video, one of them spotted a teacher approaching the block and could be heard to say: ?Oh s**t, what are we going to do??

They fled on a bus but were arrested within a day, the court heard.

The two 16-year-olds, of Kennington and Brockley, and the 15-year-old, of Peckham, each deny three counts of rape either by committing the act or aiding and abetting.

The trial continues.

Baboonery

25-11-2009 12:41 PM

Crime is bad, Pat, we know. I don't know what you're trying to prove.

Ex FH Pat

26-11-2009 01:48 PM

Not trying to prove anything - just saying that we with some people, it matters not how educated they are or what class they hail, some will always be scummy & commit horrible crimes

I fully agree with what others have said on this thread that people need better education and a place in society, yet crimes like this need to be punished and the penalty needs to be a long time in prison

How do you think the poor girl & her family will feel if these people get left off lightly

Baboonery

26-11-2009 02:26 PM

But nobody's saying they shouldn't be punished. Nobody. Apart from some 'liberal do-gooders' who don't actually exist.

It's just that prevention is better than cure. Educating people better and improving the type of people they hang round with is likely to reduce the number of crimes they commit - the more intelligent you are, the less likely you are to think that stabbing someone's a good idea and that covering for your mates when they stab someone is a good idea. It's not rocket science.

Denying this just gives the impression of someone who wants to look tough on crime, rather than someone who wants there to actually be less of it.

michael

06-08-2010 09:46 AM

Moneysupermarket.com have once again proved that they don't understand how to compiile useful statistics, by placing Forest Hill in the top 20 'home theft' hotspots.
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/d...t/0009888/

They base their statistics on home insurance enquiries rather than actual crimes. They take no account of; how likely you are to have an Internet connection and therefore accessing their site, whether people are coming to their site because of rocketing premiums due to past claims (which might explain how one in 12 homes have been robbed in the last year), which ITV regions they target with their adverts, the honesty of people telling them about previous thefts, etc

Nor do they make any attempt to explain why the top four 'crime hotspots' in last years survey have completely dropped out of their ranking this year.

Don't believe them when they tell you Forest Hill is a 'theft hotspot', it is simply not true and is just a cheap marketing gimmick to get their company name in lots of papers as if they are experts on crime figures.

ForestHillier

06-08-2010 09:54 AM

Thanks for the update Michael

Just shows how far these companys go to get themselves in the spotlight

No way is FH in the top ten, the areas that have dropped out must have very good policing now

Have read that the police had stopped the ladies of the night selling their wares in Bedford Hill Balham which is good for the residents as that area has been plagued by this for years, and have you seen the houses around there, they are amazing

NewForester

06-08-2010 02:01 PM

A quick look at the Met's crime statistics for the last year shows that with 109 burglaries, Forest Hill was 222th= most likely ward to be burgled in London, let alone the country...

Londondrz

06-08-2010 05:18 PM

Someone keeps nicking my waterLaugh

michael

24-01-2014 04:18 PM

MoneySupermarket are still providing their inaccurate figures about 'House-breaking hotspots'. However, SE23 has not been on the list for years.
Their latest figures target SE24 and SE27 in the top 20 places to be burgled in the last year. (SE22 made it on the list last year, but the previous year contained no entries from South East London).

However their rankings seem to have changed from 2010 when the top most burgled areas had rates of 7-8%, now they are down to 2.7-4.5% as the top 20.

Much more importantly was yesterday's figures from the Crime Survey of England and Wales which showed crime levels at their lowest level since records began (30 years ago).

edd

24-01-2014 10:58 PM

Stats reminiscent of 1984...

Brooksie

26-01-2014 07:54 PM

Most burgled really? caught my eye as I thought it was a recent post. My recent experience in Hurstbourne Road Does seem to indicate an increase in activity. We were burgled Friday night with the double glazed windows smashed to gain entry whist we were asleep in the house. The two neighbours directly across the road had three men gain entry at 8 o'clock in the evening to take property one neighbour was in the house!. Their immediate neighbour to the right last Nov had his van broken into. In the summer the homeowner of the flat above has his locked moped carried off during the night. My immediate neighbour last summer had a intruder climb in the window and was assaulted. I am not sure when the dead man in the wheelie bin was discovered But there is a lot of activity out there during the last year. If we are not in the top twenty I am sure that I would not like to live in an area that was.
Just spent my second hour with the local community support officer. Keep safe

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields