SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
SE23 - Most Burgled. Really?
alex78

02-11-2009 01:22 PM

I live in SE23. Scaffolding went up around my building for communal repairs. 6 days later I was burgled through top floor window (usually never accessible).

:0(

Police made very similar comments to those by Hawkesrah.

Watch out all (especially when scaffolding is up).

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tttttttttttttt

11-11-2009 08:18 AM

Spate of burglaries ???.

Readers might want to be aware that there seems to have been a spate of burglaries around the Ewelme Road and Woodcome Crescent area ?within days of each other over the last week or so.

The pattern seems to be for them to again access to the property from the rear of the house, overnight (regardless of whether the house is occupied or not) and small electricals seem to be the preferred target.

Please be vigilant ............

brian

11-11-2009 03:52 PM

Where are the Police if there has been a spate.
Need some caught and given 10 years minimum as a deterent.

thenutfield

11-11-2009 11:09 PM

Brian, It is a bit of a myth that the police can stop burglaries - unless they post an officer on guard in every back garden all night long!

The security of our homes is the home owners responsibility. We are advised time and time again of basic security measures we can take that will drastically reduce the chances of being burgled - but we seem to be very lazy about doing anything...until it is too late (and I include myself in this category, having being burgled late last year).

And as for a 10 year sentence being a deterrent - check out the facts, not the Daily Mail hysteria. Societies with the harshest prison sentencing have the highest crime rates. Sentencing policy does nothing to reduce crime.

Londondrz

12-11-2009 10:08 AM

If you are in jail you cant commit the crime.

tttttttttttttt

12-11-2009 10:22 AM

I must admit I feel that abit more a police presence - wouldn't go amiss .........

I appreciate that that wouldn't necessarily be a major deterant for any would be criminal, but some acknowledgement that a particular area is obviously being targetted and that the police have a vague interest in catching someone would surely help community relations no end.

ryananglem

12-11-2009 12:05 PM

Its facile to suggest that more police = less crime. Police are in some ways a function of crime, as if there is more crime there is more work for them to do, but the causes are generally due to lack of education, and social status.

Educated people (and Im including the readers of forums such as this as educated people) are deterred by prison sentances, but they are not the ones who are likely to commit crimes.

People who struggle to get by are more likely to commit crimes if its made easy for them. My place was burgled last year, but with some simple alterations (aided by the police) I have made it (I think) far safer.

Putting people in prison increases the tax burdon on us and breeds more crime, whereas removing the reason for people to commit crimes probably costs the same and makes a safer society. The former doesnt appeal to Mail readers (or indeed politians, these days it seems)..

Ex FH Pat

12-11-2009 01:32 PM

So what are you saying Ryananglem - we should not put people in prison who commit crimes ?

Agree that some people do commit crimes out of need yet if we go along with what i think your saying - would we not have anarchy

Doubt if any of you have read about the gang that has terrorised parts of Tooting over the last few years, anyway he is a little bit of what they got up 2, they were called the G Block Gang, they virtually kicked the s***e out of anyone who got in their way, even if you gave them all your valuables, quiet a few women had their faces/heads stamped on, so do we not imprison these people ?

They used to march people to caah machines nad make they take money out their accounts, if you did not do what they said, you were threatened with death and had your head kicked in, charming people, dont think these sort of people do this because they are not educated or due to sociall class - do you ?

Please advise how prison creates more crime

Perryman

12-11-2009 03:03 PM

Ex FH Pat, that gang will not be deterred by prison - half their mates are already inside no doubt. And their family.
The ones not already dead.

Statistically those with a good education are not going to prison - maybe they are not getting caught, but just maybe they find better ways to make money.
As prison is very expensive, the thinking is to pile resources into education instead. Give them a genuine stake in society and the real hope that they may have a nice home one day. Radical stuff eh?

Ex FH Pat

12-11-2009 03:09 PM

You may not find so radical if you have ever been the victim of one these sort of attacks.

With most of these sort of people - it matters not how educated they are or if they hace a nice home, the bloke who was the leader of the G Block gang did have a nice home - a brand new one that was buily alongside a common - he was also quite intelligent according to his school reports.

Agree that most of those who go to prison re-offend when they are out, but how woule you feel if someone kicked your head in amd then you found out that they were just getting let off with a slap on the hand

ryananglem

12-11-2009 03:37 PM

My point was that to have another couple of bobbies plodding up and down London road and the threat of long term prison will not deter people who are intent on it from breaking into your house.

Keeping your local area clean and tidy, well lit and getting to know your neighbours so that they are aware of who lives in your house is a far better way of preventing burglary.

Preventing the kind of people who would be intent on breaking into your house from existing in society is a bigger challenge - again not solved by putting half the population in prison.. however to witness a society like this, catch a flight across the pond. This should prove that it simply does not work.

brian

12-11-2009 06:36 PM

I agree The Police cannot be everywhere but when someone is caulght and convicted the punishment should fit the crime.
Capital Punishment for premeditated murder.
10 years hard prison for breaking and entering.
I cannot believe it when people talk about drugs in prison. All visitors should be searched and anyone found with drugs should get minimum 5 years.

Baboonery

12-11-2009 07:05 PM

The trouble is, Brian, that someone will see your arbitrary punishments and decide they are not enough. Dreaming up ever more draconian punishments does little other than satisfy the dreamer.

Hawkesrah

12-11-2009 11:32 PM

I have never been burgled but have been subject to two attempted burglaries over a period of 32 years. My precautions have always held good. To improve your security alls you need do is to imagine you are a burglar and want to get into your own premises without a door key.Then look at any weaknesses.

Perryman

13-11-2009 01:50 AM

Ex FH Pat,
G-block itself, where most of the teenage G-block gang lived, is probably a group of lovely cottages on a leafy lane - in fact I'll make some sandwiches and have a picnic there this weekend.

Prison is no deterrent for them - more a right of passage from adolescence to adulthood. They'll be back inside again before long too. To stop this game, we need to hit hard at the cause early, which is poverty.

Ex FH Pat

13-11-2009 07:55 AM

Ex FH Pat,
G-block itself, where most of the teenage G-block gang lived, is probably a group of lovely cottages on a leafy lane - in fact I'll make some sandwiches and have a picnic there this weekend.

Expect above was a bit of tongue in cheek - yes where G Block lived was a nice leafy area - so dont give me that b******t about poverty being the cause of scum going around kicking s***e out of people, all you liberal do-gooders with your lets not imprsion people, lets eduacte them, well all the G Block gang wnet to school and all lived in nice homes, so where is the poverty

Perryman

13-11-2009 02:17 PM

Ex FH Pat, I'm as appalled by these burglaries and attacks as you.
The difference between us is I want targeted action to steer children away from a life of crime and so stop the cycle with education and opportunity, while you just want revenge and the game to continue.

Your right wing policies do not work. The prisons are full and are not deterrents. What next - Torture? hanging the 13 year olds?

Ex FH Pat

13-11-2009 02:25 PM

Perryman

You must have me mistaken with someone else - right wing, never

Yes agree that we should start from when kisd are yound with education etc - however that does not mean that if they then go on to commit bad crimes - we let them off, i think someone said in an earlier thread, if you commit a crime, then you should be prepared to pay the penalty reagardless of your social standing or education as i know and i think you know that lots of these kids roaming the streets with knifes & guns love this way of live and no amount of education will change them, no apart from imprisoning them whenever they commit crimes, then sorry but i really have no other answer

gingernuts

13-11-2009 06:22 PM

IMHO burglaries are often opportunistic. In most cases there is need and this is not due to poverty (who is really poor with generous handouts and free state education?) but down to drugs and lack of work. Not enough is done to combat drug traffic and there are too many young people who are idle and see little future with no work prospects. Many min wage jobs are going to foreigners or simply no longer exist (automated or off shored) and the government is doing little to ensure young people can gain employment or even have a desire to work. Instead they are offered a useless existence on benefit topped up with a bit of crime where possible. This is due to Government policy and there has to be other solutions other than harsh prison sentences. The causes need to be tackled.

HOWEVER.....

Violent crime (as ExFH Pat talked about) should be punished with severe sentences. Not as a deterent, but just to get these nasty people off our streets. Violent immigrants should be sent home immediately, not given the opportunity to stay and reoffend. There should be no excuse or mercy for violence. In the old days hanging was too good for them.

Ex FH Pat

16-11-2009 08:27 AM

Gingernuts - you started off your thread very well, then had to write complete nonsense - yes agree with what you say about Goverenment policies etc, yet if people commit violent crime, then they should be punished, have you ever been the victim ??

You tell the people who have been victims or in some cases have lost relatives due to it that - its ok, its only because they have nothing to do that they do this

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields