SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Poll: What percentage of your christmas budget will you be spending in SE23 shops this year?
0%
less than 10%
10% - 25%
25% - 50%
50% - 75%
as close to 100% as possible
[Show Results]

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Christmas Shopping in SE23
robwinton

13-11-2007 08:56 AM

OK, a quick poll to find out how much of your Christmas budget you are prepared, willing, or able to spend in SE23 this year (as prompted by savvy's post)

Once you have voted, maybe you could share why, and whether you are actually attempting to increase this percentage or not.

Also, thinking of Christmas shopping in particular, what is it that you would have liked to buy locally but unfortunately could not?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robwinton

13-11-2007 09:27 AM

For myself, I will be buying some party stuff from the party shop up towards Provender (they've always been very nice to us in there), and I will maybe try out the butchers on Wood Vale. I also plan on getting some things from Jumping Bean as I think it is great to have a local shop like that, especially in emergencies!!

... and of course some wines from Mr Lawrence - as close to a (proper) local wine shop as we have.

Applespider

13-11-2007 12:43 PM

Less than 10% although that's partly because I'll be buying online and having delivered straight to some recipients or to Scotland where I'll be for part of the festive season. Another reason for buying from chains more is that I have several ungrateful recipients who insist on receipts so they can return stuff... Cursing

Otherwise, I will likely wander down to HOP and Dartmouth Road and have a browse through some of the smaller shops for little 'extras' for stockings etc.

shzl400

13-11-2007 12:53 PM

Regrettably not very much, unless you count Sainsbury's.

There is no toy shop, no bookshop, no kids clothes shop and no consumer electronics shop .... unless you count Smith's, who could have a claim to three of those areas, but I don't see how much stock they can carry in a relatively small branch, especially as they are trying to shoe-horn in a post office as well.

I must be the only person who thinks Jumping Bean only sells overpriced stuff for the person who has everything (oh, well maybe for my sister, then). I lament the loss of Moneybox, who sold non-plastic toys, but hooray for CD Partystores which is crammed with everything you need for a kids party, reasonably priced, with very helpful owners.

shzl400

13-11-2007 07:51 PM

Sorry, that should be CB Partystores. Big them up, they're great and they don't get enough mentions on this site!

Tersie

15-11-2007 12:39 AM

robwinton wrote:
For myself, I will be buying some party stuff from the party shop up towards Provender (they've always been very nice to us in there), and I will maybe try out the butchers on Wood Vale. I also plan on getting some things from Jumping Bean as I think it is great to have a local shop like that, especially in emergencies!!

... and of course some wines from Mr Lawrence - as close to a (proper) local wine shop as we have.

Was in jumping bean today buying a card and was told they are having an open evening tomorrow night (Thursday) with wine and 10% discount off all goods - great new stuff in there for xmas. Will then pop into Tapastry for a drink and bite to eat! Thats my evening sorted Smile

Happysnapper

19-11-2007 05:15 PM

I would spend as much as I could in SE23, except I'm a relative newcomer to the area and haven't yet had time to walk around as much as I would like to, to properly take in where these places are.

I don't suppose there is an online business directory or anything is there? This is usually something that Julie Sutch might take on. I would be great to know what kinds of shops are around and what kinds of stuff they sell, along with their address and a link to their location....

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

19-11-2007 05:24 PM

Happysnapper wrote:
I don't suppose there is an online business directory or anything is there? This is usually something that Julie Sutch might take on.

You can find just such a site at:
http://www.foresthill.towntalk.co.uk/
This has been put together by the Town Centre Management Team and it has recently been improved so that it is actually quite a nice site.

Happysnapper

19-11-2007 05:29 PM

michael wrote:
This has been put together by the Town Centre Management Team and it has recently been improved so that it is actually quite a nice site.

Fantastic! Thanks very much Smile

I wonder if I can alter my poll choice now....Rolleyes

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
admin
Administrator

19-11-2007 05:37 PM

michael wrote:

... with at least two photos lifted from SE23.com without permission or credit on this page alone:
http://www.foresthill.towntalk.co.uk/about/index.php
Blink

Happysnapper

19-11-2007 10:24 PM

Stinkers!

millesens

26-11-2007 07:54 PM

I was walking about today and went into a few of our local shops. I was very surprised by Bunka. I have always thought they only sold ladies clothes, but they now have a very good range of home accessories, pretty things like photo frames, candle holders, kitchen bits a nd pieces. They also have a small but pretty selection of children clothes and a few toys. There are plenty of things I can buy for Christmas presents. By the way, the small flower shop on the corner, on the same side of the Dartmouth Road has now Christmas trees in stock, they are beautiful and I believe at very good prices. She also sells lovely glass chandeliers, again more ideas for some Christamas presents. It looks like my oroginal forecasted percentage of Christmas shopping in se23 may have just been increased quite a lot. Happy shopping in se23 to you all......................

thenutfield

26-11-2007 08:09 PM

thanks millesens, thats very useful. I will definitely check Bunka out.

seeformiles

29-11-2007 12:30 PM

For the last 2 years I've been buying presents for friends from Bunka, mainly jewellery and accessories. I really love it there and they have a varied range of gifts.
I might pop into the local florists too.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields