SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fast food
Sherwood

28-11-2007 06:30 PM

[Split from 'SE23 Topics: Empty Shops/Commercial Property in Forest Hill' -admin]

Does anyone know why Macdonald's closed?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robwinton

28-11-2007 09:20 PM

they are cr*p!

vipes

28-11-2007 09:34 PM

True actually. A few years ago a number of people fell ill from a bacteria found only in cow pats. They found the faeces were making their way into the burgers at the slaughterhouse. and rather than improve hygiene they ordered kitchen staff to cook the burgers for longer and at a higher heat to kill the bacteria. Not good PR.

Last year a load of the less profitable 'restaurants' shut including lucky us.

robwinton

28-11-2007 09:42 PM

I hadn't realised I was being so literal Scared

I have never liked them and now I have an extra reason

Applespider

29-11-2007 11:17 AM

vipes wrote:
They found the faeces were making their way into the burgers at the slaughterhouse. and rather than improve hygiene they ordered kitchen staff to cook the burgers for longer and at a higher heat to kill the bacteria. Not good PR.

I believe that's an urban legend along with the one about the cyst in the chicken burger. Not least since the grills in McD's are on timers so that the thin patties cook in exactly 35 seconds and the cooking staff don't have any authority to make judgement calls.

I worked briefly in McDonalds while at University. My overriding perception of the place was that in terms of rules and regulations about health and safety, it was top notch. Obviously enforcing those rules depend on the managers on the ground obeying those regulations but I can honestly say that if I had to eat in a fastfood place, I would be more confident in McD's than most others.

bigjulie

29-11-2007 12:18 PM

How confident would you be of getting good quality food? Not very, surely.

brian

29-11-2007 01:20 PM

Not sure why they closed. I have to agree that although not a fan of fast food would rather eat Mcd'lds than any other it that line.
When they did close there were a lot of people on this site who welcomed their demise and expected an upmarket coffee shop to replace them. I said at the time they were living in a dreamworld.
I personally would not very often , if at all , frequent McD , but I feel there are many in SE 23 who would and we should accommodate all tastes and budgets

nevermodern

29-11-2007 01:30 PM

They closed because the branch wasn't making any money:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4759130.stm

I'm not a fan, but would rather they were still there, personally, than the empty premises.

Applespider

29-11-2007 01:31 PM

bigjulie wrote:
How confident would you be of getting good quality food? Not very, surely.

Of getting good quality food - not very. But I think that's true of most fast food chains. I'm usually a bit of a food snob Blush

But, if I was out and desperate for something to eat (say in a slightly drunken haze around midnight), I'd trust a McD's over a fried chicken shop, pizza slice stall, hotdog stands etc.

During the day, I'd be more likely to look for a little coffee shop or bar which also sold snacks than venture near a McDs.

bigjulie

30-11-2007 12:39 AM

nevermodern wrote:
I'm not a fan, but would rather they were still there, personally, than the empty premises.

I'd rather the empty premises.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields