SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Moving to FH
robwinton

28-11-2007 11:49 PM

Well, there is one *tentatively* in the offing soon here, but not sure what will happen (if anything).

the forest hill society organises things from time to time (one coming up in December and one in January). I think you'd find both of those interesting as they will be talking about Forest Hill and it's history

... full disclosure: I am talking at the event in December at the Rockbourne Youth Club. Not an ad as I make no money from it!!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

29-11-2007 08:45 AM

ohyeahkitten wrote:
Here's yet another question: What sort of demographic am I looking at? Is it mostly English? Is there a large immigrant population from a particular country?

Like most of London, Forest Hill is a cultural melting pot and the demographic varies from street to street, with the poshest houses next to low rental flats. However, there seems to be a Greek-Cypriot pocket around Honor Oak (e.g. Barbaros, Uwannago) and there seem to be several elderly Poles i.e. that have been here since the War, as opposed to more recent visitors. There are probably loads of other such groups of which other posters are aware - e.g. are there Germans in the area near Dietrich Bonhoffer Kirche?

Just one thing though - with a name like "ohyeahkitten", I'm surprised you are a dog-owner Huh

nevermodern

29-11-2007 10:22 AM

In relation to ethnic mix, I've found forest hill to be generally less varied than the other parts of London I've lived in although, being London, it's still fairly mixed Smile

ohyeahkitten

29-11-2007 03:20 PM

Are there a lot of Jehova's Witnesses in the area?

nevermodern

29-11-2007 03:24 PM

Well, my guess is they far outnumber White Witches... Smile

robwinton

29-11-2007 03:27 PM

No, they tend to swarm. It is a seasonal thing.

Must be something to do with this area being cursed by a plague of demonic squirrels. Apparently the folly at the top of the hill threatened to get us too close to God, so it was 'smited' (smitten?) and we have been needing salvation ever since

[Smile]

nevermodern

29-11-2007 03:53 PM

oh, yeah - smitten Smile

davidl

29-11-2007 04:02 PM

Surely "smote", though I like the idea of God's enemies being smitten...

Surprised nobody has complained about the squirrels before, since they touch on a number of sore points for some board members, being foreign and living on what they can pick up day to day, as well as being incomers to the neighbourhood who have displaced the local red squirrel.

I dread to think of the opprobrium which would be heaped on them if they could ring doorbells and tell everyone about their faith.

nevermodern

29-11-2007 04:09 PM

Or stand outside WHSmith with a fox-pimp Smile

millesens

29-11-2007 04:33 PM

Jehovah?s Witness are everywhere but some of this Forum members seem to be mounting a campaign to, I quote, "get rid of them once and for all". You can join the debate ohyeahkitten in the Beyond se23 section of the forum.

As for our foreign squirrel growing population, we should think about a tourist attraction or something. Or maybe our very own squirrel spotting walk and tour around our parks and back gardens. You may not be aware but some tourists, coming from remote squirrel-deprived cities come to London and wish to go and see the squirrels in Hyde Park even before wishing to see the House of Parliament or Buckingham Palace. I promise I am not lying.

andyvit

01-12-2007 12:30 AM

Hello just moved here and I find the area quiet and friendly...Love all the little shops but i have to agree on the poor quality of Sainsbury's (customer service and products availability)...especially if compared with the one on the top of Lordship Lane...as for foxes i don't think i've seen any yet but my cat brought me a little mice as a thank you present the other day! Yes even Jonesy is enjoying life in FH!

ht

01-12-2007 10:28 AM

Good luck with the move ohyeahkitten. And hope you enjoy living in FH too andyvit. I am rather new to the area myself. I've found it a nice area to live in, and hope to explore much more in 2008! As well as being braver about meeting my neighbours, who from this forum seem like very nice people. (The squirrel comments on this thread are very funny....the ones I occasionally throw nuts to from my window are rather friendly....unless they're lulling me into a false sense of security!)

Sherwood

01-12-2007 06:35 PM

Don't let squirrels get in your loft. You need to keep tree branches away from your roof.

Zeus

02-12-2007 12:19 PM

I've never been attacked by a Jehovah's Witness! Just dont invite them in you house for cup ofn tea on Saturday afternoon!

Zeus

02-12-2007 12:35 PM

ooops I sent that last post a bit too early. Seriously, I have lived in Forest Hill for some time now and have always felt that Forest Hill is safer than many areas. Partly due to the lack of big estates, rare to see gangs hanging around, and also because it's a small area where people can 'spot trouble' easily. That said no place is crime free, so usual precautions should be taken.

Forest Hill and Sydenham have some very good pubs and restaurants. Recommend in Forest Hill the Elachi and Cafe La for Indian, The Thai Orchard, Dartmouth Arms, Yune and TSE for Chinese and the Hob for Comedy nights - are but a few. The Dolphin in Sydenham is good too.

The beauty of this area, is the green space. Lots of parks and nature trails - Sydenham woods, Horniman Gds, Crystal Palace park, lots of places to take the dogs!

Hope you like it here. There's no better place in London to live!

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields