SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Moving to FH
ohyeahkitten

28-11-2007 03:50 PM

Hello,

I'm new to this site. I'm moving to Forest Hill in one month. I'll be living just in FH, really close to Sydenham. Currently I'm in a rather bizarre flatshare in *shudder* Catford. I have a few questions:

-Can anyone recommend someone who could come over around the lunch hour and give my dogs a bathroom break?
-Where does everyone do their grocery shopping?
-What are the demographics of the area?
-What's the crime rate like?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robwinton

28-11-2007 03:59 PM

Hi there ohyeahkitten! Welcome to FH (in advance)

for the doggydoodoos I can't help (just make sure it isn't on the pavement or there are a few contributors here who'll go after you!)

for the grocery shopping, you have several options including the Sainsburys on London Road, although they often have stock issues. You also have the bigger brother at Bell Green (if you have a car). I think there are other options on Sydenham high street as well if you are that way. There are a few other local shops for specific things like Provender (organic & health food).

demographics - simply the best people live here, that's all you need to know. However, if you feel the need to prove it, you could visit http://www.upmystreet.com and get more details.

and crime ... what's that? never heard of it. Smile I have now lived here 3 years and I have had absolutely no issues (he says quickly touching a large chunk of tree).

as for other advice, read this site regularly to stay up to date, and join the Forest Hill Society (http://www.foresthillsociety.com) to help make this an even better place to live and work.

enjoy!

PackOfDusters

28-11-2007 04:07 PM

I'm a newcomer too, both to FH and to the forum, but I'm going to be bold and welcome you anyway! I'm too on the Sydenham/FH border (actually, I'm really in Sydenham, shhhh, don't tell).

I agree about the FH Sainsbury's - it is a bit rubbish, but OK for picking up bog-standard stuff. I actually visit the one at Bell Green by bus (the 356), I wouldn't say you really *need* a car to do your shopping there. Also Sydenham high street has a green grocer and turkish grocers where you can stock up on bulk amounts of useful stuff.

I've not noticed much in the way of crime, but then I'm a hardy Londoner-type (I'm new to FH, but grew up in SE London) so maybe I'm a bit oblivious to stuff.

Enjoy the views!

ohyeahkitten

28-11-2007 04:31 PM

Another question: I've been perusing the site and noticed mention of foxes. Is there any danger of a fox attacking my dogs? I'm from the US and have little knowledge of foxes. Thanks.

robwinton

28-11-2007 04:38 PM

none - they might upset your rubbish, and dig a few holes in the lawn, but I suspect our foxes probably run away at the sight of a squirrel.

Now, those squirrels on the other hand .... watch out for them!

nevermodern

28-11-2007 04:42 PM

Hehe....squirrels seem to get more brazen by the day.

shzl400

28-11-2007 04:51 PM

Pecking order round our way is definitely: squirrels, cats, foxes. Foxes did take our neighbour's rabbit, though, and again after they buried it in the garden....

nevermodern

28-11-2007 04:55 PM

squirrels, cats, foxes...rabbits. Wink

shzl400

28-11-2007 05:04 PM

Oh, and then there's the magpies as well...

ohyeahkitten

28-11-2007 05:11 PM

This is a terrific forum! Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to my move already.
Here's another question:
Any recommendations for a pub? Like I said, I'm in FH, but really close to Sydenham. What I want is a quiet pub where I can go after work and have a glass of wine and read a book without being hasseled by would be suitors. Where I'm at now (Catford), it's just relentless. Doesn't anyone pay attention to body language? Sheesh.
Thanks

nevermodern

28-11-2007 05:16 PM

The Dartmouth Arms just outside FH station is really good for sitting quietly without getting bothered, ohyeah. Good selection of wines, friendly staff, no-one on a mission Smile

millesens

28-11-2007 07:00 PM

Hello ohyeahkiiten and welcome!

My neighbours use a dog walker everyday for their dog at lunchtime. She is really nice and if you wish I can ask them their details and send them to you via PM.

For your shopping there are many more options people realise here, especially if you are within walking distance of Sydenham as well. Although one can find a lot in our Sainsbury?s the quality of their fruit and vegetables is very poor. I have recently explored Sydenham Road and have to admit that they have a very good selection of shops. At first sight they may all look like pound shops ( and many are) but there are a few Turkish grocery stores where you can find good Mediterranean fruits and vegetables, fresh breads, all kinds of dairy produce ( becoming addicted to grilled Halloumi !), sweets and nuts. The cake store sells very good bread, pastries and cakes and you can find a Superdrug on the same stretch of road. We do have a small Boots here but I find the staff quite rude and apart from the odd prescription one can do without this shop altogether. We have two good flower and plant shops and for wine I would recommend avoiding Sainsuburys, the Threshers at the end of Perry Vale have a small but decent selection. And for clothes, small soft furnishings and gift ideas Bunka on Dartmouth Road is quite good. Now I know you only asked about grocery shopping, I got carried away.

As for crime, unfortunately I cannot be as positive. About six months ago a couple of men tried to break into my house at night, whilst I was sleeping. They were trying to remove a large pane of glass from my dining room window, which was single glazed and old of course. The police came very quickly but didn?t catch them. Then last week my car was broken into, it was parked just outside my house. They did not manage to steal it but broke the ignition barrel and the door. The police did not even come out which is a shame as the car was full of finger prints, but apparently ?they receive hundreds of calls like this in the area?.

Anyway I hope you will enjoy living here.

Sherwood

28-11-2007 09:04 PM

What dog do you have?

I have a black Labrador and there is no chance of a fox attacking her.

I suspect foxes might attack a cat, though.

Ooperlooper

28-11-2007 09:52 PM

A few such pubs to try, in rough order of suitability and closeness:
1. The Dolphin http://www.thedolphinsydenham.com / http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/1.../Sydenham. Of the pubs around Forest Hill station, probably
2. All Inn One http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/6...orest_Hill
3. Dulwich Wood House (in summer only, in the beer garden) http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/4...e/Sydenham
4. Crown and Greyhound http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/5...nd/Dulwich

baggydave

28-11-2007 10:47 PM

Look at the long lost Baggy Dave's pub guide lost in the archive, or go to Beer in the evening which has it spot on.

But seriously consider moving out of SE23 as it is becoming populated by religious fanatics

ohyeahkitten

28-11-2007 11:04 PM

I think my rental home is actually in SE26, not SE23. Are those areas close to each other?

The crime thing disturbs me, but I'm in Catford now and that's got to be worse than FH, am I right? I feel "safe" in Catford, especially compared to the US. The street I'm moving to is really quiet and quaint feeling.

So far, first impressions, based upon this message board, are that I'm moving to a delightful neighborhood full of helpful and friendly people!

Here's yet another question: What sort of demographic am I looking at? Is it mostly English? Is there a large immigrant population from a particular country? Will I be the only American? What's the attitude towards Americans? I've been getting sort of mixed messages based upon interactions with people in general. It is probably just in my head, but sometimes I feel as though people are put off by me and my gut says it's because I'm American or something. Okay, that was more than one question, but any advice is helpful. I moved to london nearly 7 weeks ago and I don't know anyone so likely I'm just paranoid...

Again, this message board has really lifted my spirits and I'm counting down the days until I move into the welcoming arms of FH!!!

Thanks again.

ohyeahkitten

28-11-2007 11:11 PM

Sherwood,

I have a miniature pinscher and a shetland sheepdog. But they're indoor dogs and only go out to do their business. The little dog (min pin) is barky at strangers and strange animals so I'm assuming he'd startle a fox. the sheltie is blind, so obviously wouldn't see the fox, but she's large for a sheltie, so maybe would scare a fox? (40 lbs).

michael

28-11-2007 11:23 PM

baggydave wrote:
But seriously consider moving out of SE23 as it is becoming populated by religious fanatics

Or to put it another way Forest Hill is diverse community where everybody gets along very well despite differences in religion or politics. Despite discussion on this forum when I meet many of the people who have heated discussions we all get on very well. Why? Because although we may express our views forcefully on the forum, we are actually all very nice and tolerant people.

The foxes and cats usually keep clear of each other. Occasionally they will have argument and I am sure fights take place, but I would not want to place any bets in a fight between a fox and a cat. Usually they agree to keep out of each others way. I have seen foxes sunbathing on a shed roof (in my cat's favourite spot), posing for photographs, and running away from large cats. They are not really a danger to anything other than rabbits and black bags left in the street.

On the issue of crime, it would be foolish to suggest that this is a crime free zone and there are concerns about a lack of police. but if you are moving here from Catford (or many cities across America) I suspect you will feel much safer and the statistics will confirm that you really are safer in Forest Hill/Sydenham.

I think my rental home is actually in SE26, not SE23. Are those areas close to each other?

The crime thing disturbs me, but I'm in Catford now and that's got to be worse than FH, am I right? I feel "safe" in Catford, especially compared to the US. The street I'm moving to is really quiet and quaint feeling.

So far, first impressions, based upon this message board, are that I'm moving to a delightful neighborhood full of helpful and friendly people!

ohyeahkitten wrote:
Here's yet another question: What sort of demographic am I looking at? Is it mostly English? Is there a large immigrant population from a particular country? Will I be the only American? What's the attitude towards Americans? I've been getting sort of mixed messages based upon interactions with people in general. It is probably just in my head, but sometimes I feel as though people are put off by me and my gut says it's because I'm American or something. Okay, that was more than one question, but any advice is helpful. I moved to london nearly 7 weeks ago and I don't know anyone so likely I'm just paranoid...

Parts of SE26 are very close to SE23, others are a little further away.

I know at least three Americans (or people from America) in SE23, some of whom are on the committee of the Forest Hill Society. With regards to the immigrant population, again Forest Hill is a diverse community with a healthy sized immigrant community, as well as people who have always lived in South London.

baggydave

28-11-2007 11:34 PM

What is this anti-Catford tirade Michael. They have a theatre. We don't. They have far more shops. They have two railway stations serving different part of London. There is a nice hill, with nice views over London, and some nice 30s houses (a little like UDB). And a beer festival. And a beer festival. The nice CAMRA people have organised pub walks taking in Catfords finest as part of the Lewisham walking festival. And if you like cats, a very large one. I rest my case.

And who are you calling tolerant? I am clearly 100% correct as long term users of this site are only too aware.

ohyeahkitten

28-11-2007 11:43 PM

Yet another question (tell me when this becomes tiresome): Do the people from this messageboard have get togethers? I'm really looking to meeting people and gaining a network of people of people that I can rely upon to get advise from etc.
Thanks.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields