SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Water Supply Problems
Sherwood

22-12-2007 08:34 PM

This is the link to report the leak:

http://www.thameswater.co.uk/UK/region/e...rt_leakage

There is also a leak in Devonshire Road.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
baggydave

30-12-2007 02:50 PM

Top Tips (© Viz magazine when it was still good).

Why waste good money going to a trendy outdoors ice rink over the winter months. Simply instigate a leaks of the mains and wait for several days of cold weather. Bingo, your own ice rink at no cost at all.

BD - always looking at the positive

roz

02-01-2008 05:04 PM

As some of you may know this leak caused a serious cut in the electricity supply at the weekend for many of us . For more info cross reference to the separate thread on this.

I've managed to get a few things done today in respect of drawing peoples attention to the conditions but who knows what will actually happen - the Council highways department are very concerned as they have been trying to get action since last April and are worried about the road conditions in the next few days as there is predicted snowfall. They are taking it up as I write with Thames Water. Lets see and hope there isn't an accident(or another power cut ) in the interim.

TomJames

03-01-2008 10:44 AM

roz wrote:
As some of you may know this leak caused a serious cut in the electricity supply at the weekend for many of us . For more info cross reference to the separate thread on this.

I've managed to get a few things done today in respect of drawing peoples attention to the conditions but who knows what will actually happen - the Council highways department are very concerned as they have been trying to get action since last April and are worried about the road conditions in the next few days as there is predicted snowfall. They are taking it up as I write with Thames Water. Lets see and hope there isn't an accident(or another power cut ) in the interim.

It appeared yesterday that this is at last being fixed - Lets hope so anyway.

Londondrz

03-01-2008 03:58 PM

TomJames wrote:

roz wrote:

No evidence of any fixing as I slithered past on my motorcycle this morning!!

TomJames

03-01-2008 05:21 PM

Londondrz wrote:

TomJames wrote:

roz wrote:

No evidence of any fixing as I slithered past on my motorcycle this morning!!

they've dug up the pavement and had a drill out nearer the flat yesterday. When I left this mornig the pavement still had a big hole in it!

Akhnaten

06-01-2008 10:39 PM

I thought it was an underwater spring. You could be selling SE23 mineral water to t**ts in Clapham.

roz

06-01-2008 10:51 PM

Unfortunately the hole was dug by EDF on 30th Dec to access the water leak. We've been told that they could only do a temporary repair until the water leak is fixed.

The point about the springs is a good one, and makes me hope that whoever has identified this as a customer side mains leak is sure it isnt a spring as there are many such occurrences around here ;they mysteriously surface in people's garages and gardens then disappear.

Anyone concerned enough to contact the Council will find a lot of support from Bob Capstan in Highways who is trying his best to get something sorted out.

Londondrz

15-05-2008 12:53 PM

Anyone notice that the tap water seems to be very white at the moment or is it just me?

jalapeno

15-05-2008 01:12 PM

Yes, I have had this for a while now. I first contacted Thames Water about this at the beginning of March. They say it is perfectly harmless (if not very off-putting) and that it is caused by millions of micro bubbles in the water supply.

They said that they are aware of the problem in the area and they are working on it. I called several times, the last in April. They were going to flush the pipes after my last call, but it seems worse than ever at the moment.

Johnc

15-05-2008 01:19 PM

Yes I noticed this over the past month or two but it clears very quickly if left to stand. I agree it is a bit offputting.

johnniek

15-05-2008 01:29 PM

Yep Suffering this as well, doesn't exactly look great, does clear and seems to be due to aeration.
Did anyone offer any long term solutions? Or hope that i might get better?

Baboonery

15-05-2008 02:28 PM

Quite. We had this where I lived when I was a kid as well, took two years to fix.

There was one day last week when it was fine, then it went back again.

Sherwood

15-05-2008 03:06 PM

Is that why my hot water tap gushes with air?

jalapeno

15-05-2008 03:32 PM

When I have called them about this, Thames Water always ask which way the water clears. If it clears from bottom to top, it's safe. However, if anyone's is clearing from top to bottom then I suggest you call them!

Snazy

15-05-2008 04:43 PM

Over oxygenated was the last term I heard used for this, and indeed totally harmless.
Carbonated water, for free.... get some soda stream flavourings, quick Smile

*ps I do know the difference really Smile

Londondrz

15-05-2008 06:12 PM

Thanks all, thought it may well be air but it does seem to taste different.Confused

multisync

16-05-2008 12:48 PM

I am in upper sydenham my water is the same very cloudy even if i let the tap run for a while and it does taste different.I put all my water through a filter jug

Ghis

16-05-2008 12:55 PM

Last sunday there was a major water main burst somewhere on an water exchange in HOP and to remedy to this they pumped the water from one exchange where the water was running to the exchange where the burst had occured. They had a masssive pump lorry parked in Codrington Hill pumping the water from one to the other. After that I believe that we (the people on the burst pipe exhange) were connected to the exchange were water was still running while they sorted the leak. This week, mid week another burst pipe happened on the new exchange we had been connected to and water ran dry again at the taps. They sorted it a few hours later but since then there has been air in the system and the water seems to run out of the pipes with a lot of air which when you pour in a glass make the water look white (the water looks normal once the bubbles have reached the surface)

billham

16-05-2008 10:25 PM

Well I don't know about events at the weekend but I live off Netherby Road and our water has been cloudy for quite some time. In fact I was surprised not to see comments in here much earlier than they appeared.

Funnily enough, the last couple of days have been much better. Its odd though, however much people say its only air it doesn't look like something you would want to drink. All mine goes through my Brita filter!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Water problems robin orton 26 22,924 08-12-2015 08:32 AM
Last Post: ForestHillier
  Water Problems Turlinator 37 32,643 24-10-2013 06:52 PM
Last Post: bonobo
  Electricity Supply Problems roz 59 56,519 04-09-2012 12:15 PM
Last Post: Baboonery
  Water supply problems 2/1/2011 annsquire66 6 8,204 05-01-2011 01:30 AM
Last Post: PVP