SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (5): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
Water Supply Problems
TomJames

27-11-2007 04:33 PM

I'm new to the site so apologies if this has been covered before.

There seems to be a permanent water leak on Honor Oak Road near the top of Ewleme Road and neither the council or Thames Water seem interested.

Has anyone else tried reporting this its been this way for months?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

27-11-2007 08:20 PM

I think Roz will be able to answer this question.

roz

28-11-2007 10:27 AM

Sherwood wrote:
I think Roz will be able to answer this question.

Yes, I have reported this however it is not the source of what happened a week or so when we woke up to find a river running outside- that leak was in Ewelme Road itself. The leak on HOR has been reported by many people I believe however it does seem to be originating on private property so perhaps that is the reason for any lack of action. I've had enough of trying to get something done on this HOR one so if anyone else is interested, feel free!

Londondrz

28-11-2007 10:31 AM

I reported this on the 15th November and nothing has been done. Will call the council again and moan at them. My issue is that as a motorcyclist when we get hit by the really cold weather it becomes icy and I could end up on the ground, not a happy prospect.

TomJames

28-11-2007 11:08 AM

I've tried reporting it too but as Roz says since it seems to be originating from private property niether the council or Thames water thinks its thier responsibility.

Agrred though once icy could cause some accidents.

robwinton

28-11-2007 11:24 AM

anyone tried knocking on the door of said private property?

Baboonery

28-11-2007 12:19 PM

roz wrote:
Yes, I have reported this however it is not the source of what happened a week or so when we woke up to find a river running outside- that leak was in Ewelme Road itself. The leak on HOR has been reported by many people I believe however it does seem to be originating on private property so perhaps that is the reason for any lack of action. I've had enough of trying to get something done on this HOR one so if anyone else is interested, feel free!

By the way, how do you pronounce this?

robwinton

28-11-2007 01:55 PM

Baboonery wrote:

roz wrote:
Ewelme Road

By the way, how do you pronounce this?

I always assumed it was YOU-WELM

roz

28-11-2007 04:13 PM

We call it 'You Elm ' or 'ewe elm' - its named after a Cotswolds village - but you would never imagine the trouble we have - we have to spell it out clearly every time we do a transaction/business on the phone and even then when the letters arrive the spelling is hilarious - 'You Elm Road '- the call centre operator took me literally - and 'Your Elm Road, ' Your Arm Road', Uelm Road, Uel Road, Ahem Road, etc etc. It does make me concerned that people do not listen properly when you spell it letter for letter. And don't seem to know what a female sheep is called. Baaaaa!

Baboonery

28-11-2007 05:05 PM

roz wrote:
We call it 'You Elm ' or 'ewe elm' - its named after a Cotswolds village - but you would never imagine the trouble we have - we have to spell it out clearly every time we do a transaction/business on the phone and even then when the letters arrive the spelling is hilarious - 'You Elm Road '- the call centre operator took me literally - and 'Your Elm Road, ' Your Arm Road', Uelm Road, Uel Road, Ahem Road, etc etc. It does make me concerned that people do not listen properly when you spell it letter for letter. And don't seem to know what a female sheep is called. Baaaaa!

Yes, I've asked a mate who grew up in south-west Oxfordshire to tell me how to pronounce the name of the village: this has bothered me since I first saw the place on a road sign nearly 20 years ago!

Sherwood

28-11-2007 05:37 PM

We had a similar problem in a nearby road. I telephoned Thames Water and they refused to fix it as the leak was originating on private property!
When the water turned to ice, I was worried that people would slip on it and fall and break their arm or leg. I reported the ice to Lewisham Council Highways and they put grit on it. Thames Water fixed the leak soon after that.
I suggest that you do the same.

Sherwood

28-11-2007 05:41 PM

These are the contact details to report icy roads:

Highway maintenance group
Tel: 020 8314 7171
E-mail: highways@lewisham.gov.uk

bigjulie

28-11-2007 11:34 PM

robwinton wrote:

it's a block of flats

robwinton

28-11-2007 11:42 PM

bigjulie wrote:

robwinton wrote:

it's a block of flats

OK, let me rephrase that.

Anyone tried knocking on the door of ANY of the flats involved? Does no-one there care enough to at least alert the freeholder? I trust they are on a water meter so as to "encourage" their action.

I find it amazing how little sense of pride or responsibility some people take in their area, whether they own it or not. I am always amazed to see blocks of flats with leaking pipes, where windows below are caked in mould from the damp, and STILL the pipe is leaking. What are people thinking?

Baboonery

29-11-2007 10:04 AM

roz wrote:

Apparently locals pronounce it pretty much as you do, though the W often disappears to end up with 'Yelm'.

roz

07-12-2007 04:55 PM

I met someone from Havelock House this morning and she told me that the property was managed by Crown Housing Association in Sutton. I phoned them and advised them that there was a great deal of community concern about the water on the road, particulary as it is getting colder and there is a risk of black ice resulting in accidents. The housing officer confirmed that Thames Water had been asked to attend several times but had not done so. She chased them again today and called me back to leave a message confirming this.

If people remain concerned about this, then contact Crown HA directly in Sutton to complain further, or Thames Water themselves. This will be increasingly dangerous if not resolved.

I think the Forest Hill Society and local councillors ought to start getting involved in trying to chase Thames Water, along with Council Highways officials themselves.

Sherwood

07-12-2007 06:54 PM

You could try emailing Ofwat's Chief Executive:

philip.fletcher@ofwat.gsi.gov.uk

roz

07-12-2007 08:52 PM

No, let some of our elected officials get on the case for a change. I assume they still read this forum.

COUNCILLORS, THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. WHERE ARE YOU?

They need to get their skates on. HO HO.

Sherwood

07-12-2007 10:05 PM

Roz,

I think you can find their email addresses somewhere.

Mrjamon

22-12-2007 02:17 PM

There is a river of sludge all down Honor Oak Road and it's looking like Glastobury (slight exaggeration). Is there any news on fixing the problem?

Pages (5): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Water problems robin orton 26 22,928 08-12-2015 08:32 AM
Last Post: ForestHillier
  Water Problems Turlinator 37 32,646 24-10-2013 06:52 PM
Last Post: bonobo
  Electricity Supply Problems roz 59 56,534 04-09-2012 12:15 PM
Last Post: Baboonery
  Water supply problems 2/1/2011 annsquire66 6 8,208 05-01-2011 01:30 AM