SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] Last »
Water Supply Problems
Moschops

31-03-2009 01:45 AM

Hi all,
As the next phase of replacing some of the water main in our area, Dartmouth Road was due to have a big 12" diam main replaced today. This was why large parts of the area had no water from the rising main (drinking water). I live on Dartmouth Road with a good view of it. There was a great deal of activity early on with men, vechicles, equipment and three HUGE coils of new blue plastic pipe which was to be pulled, one at a time, through the old pipe by a winch. Let me reiterate: BIG coils ! ! Several access points on the road had already been dug. All was going well until about 4pm when men in hi-vis jackets were all running around panicking and everyone was on their phones. The first pipe had been mostly pulled through by a steel cable on a tractor winch when it (the pipe) cracked/split. Not sure what was done about it but it put their schedule WAY back. They was only able to start the second section at around 6pm and the final one at gone 9pm. Traffic has had major problems due to part One Way road in place. Also a bus got diverted up Derby Hill and promptly got stuck on a tiny winding road at the top thus blocking more traffic. I looked out of my window at about 10pm and it was obvious they had draughted in reinforcements. JUST on the stretch of road that I can see from here were 7 x silver Thames Water vans, 3 x McNicolas vans, 2 x tractors, a scoop loader thing, a mini-digger, several trailers, a dump-truck and about 18 men. Most were still there working on it at 12.45. It's now 2.30am and the last van has just left. Water is now back on happily flowing through it's nice new blue pipe. I think the fish & chip did well at one point supplying the workers! BTW, don't think I watched this all day! Just the odd glance to see how it was going. Mind you, I could of put this on YouTube... Thumbup

Mychael

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis

19-07-2009 06:32 AM

I called Thames Water because we did not have any water this morning. We have a burst water main in Brockley Rise and they had had the report 30 minutes ago and have dispatched a team. They hope the water will be back on in less than 6 hours (so around 1pm at the latest hopefully).

SophieBee

03-12-2009 10:40 PM

Not sure how many others are affected by this, but we have just returned home to find we have no water - we're on the one-way bit of Brockley Rise. I called Thames Water and there has apparently been a burst water main on the road, which has led to emergency repairs. Don't know if it is just our bit or if it affects the whole road/surrounding area. I've been assured that the water supply will be back by 4am at the latest, but just wanted to let people know in case they were worried.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Happysnapper

05-01-2010 12:33 PM

Did anyone have a low water pressure problem this morning? Took me ages to have a shower! I'm on Perry Vale near the All In One pub...

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elizabeth25

05-01-2010 01:33 PM

YES! Me too. We're off Perry Vale, but further down by the bakery. Very poor shower.

ketan

05-01-2010 04:08 PM

Me too! I'm near brokley rise....not a great start to the day!

DaisyBlue

05-01-2010 10:20 PM

Likewise! I'm on Perry Rise, close to the church, and the water didn't have any pressure here as well.

AMFM

06-01-2010 10:23 AM

Yes, us too - we're off Perry Vale too (near the old Fire Station) - miserable shower yesterday morning. Back to normal this morning thank goodness.

ketan

06-01-2010 10:24 AM

Showers working fine today.....now I just need to do something about this cold!

eastofthetrack

06-01-2010 11:00 AM

St German's Road (Honor Oak pub area) was without electricity yesterday between 0400 and 1915 after aq link box on Malham Road blew up and needed replacing.

All good now, hope water gets sorted for you guys.

lottie

22-01-2010 11:56 AM

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing low gas pressure in the evenings only (boiler is switching off eves only error code low pressure) gas board say nothing to do with them!!

I am in Honor Oak just off Garthorne Road.

showtunesgirl

22-01-2010 11:58 AM

Interesting. My pilot light keeps going out but I don't know if that is anything to do with gas pressure. I am Agnew Road.

Happysnapper

22-01-2010 01:11 PM

This is interesting. I'm on Perry Vale and noticed my hot water getting progressively cooler this morning - I have a gas boiler....

lottie

22-01-2010 05:38 PM

Have had gas engineer out today serviced and checked pressure he said all ok... But just got in and boiler is off again due to lack of pressure so just seems to be early am and this time of night. Anyone got ideas?? Service company closed until Monday.

gingernuts

22-01-2010 05:48 PM

Electric heaters! Wink

davidl

22-01-2010 05:54 PM

Lottie - are your problems related to gas pressure, or the water pressure within your heating system? Hazarding a guess, you've got a combi boiler and a pressurised heating system. If the pressure within the heating system falls below a manufacturer-specified limit (often around 1 bar) the boiler will cut out/fail to start as a failsafe.

Maybe the pressure is right on the cusp of failing and while you're out during the day and the boiler is off, the system is subject to cooling and contraction and pressure gets low enough to trip it?

Did your gas engineer consider topping up the system from a filling loop or offer any alternative explanation for why it might be cutting out?

* please note all advice above offered not from any kind of expert point of view - it just seems like every place I've lived in London has had gas/boiler problems.

roz

22-01-2010 07:57 PM

I've noticed that our water pressure seems to have dropped a bit so that may be the cause of your problems also- Thames Water are doing some major works in Honor Oak Road, probably trying to reduce leaks so this is either a planned outcome or side effect of that?

Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Water problems robin orton 26 22,924 08-12-2015 08:32 AM
Last Post: ForestHillier
  Water Problems Turlinator 37 32,643 24-10-2013 06:52 PM
Last Post: bonobo
  Electricity Supply Problems roz 59 56,522 04-09-2012 12:15 PM
Last Post: Baboonery
  Water supply problems 2/1/2011 annsquire66 6 8,205 05-01-2011 01:30 AM