SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Best Sunday roast?
nevermodern

28-11-2007 04:41 PM

Should take the old name down, then (even though All Inn One is dreadful!) Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mandy_playbox

28-11-2007 06:51 PM

I'm not very observant so it might have changed without me noticing, but I thought the pub was called the Foresters Arms and All Inn One was just on some cr*ppy banner hanging from the window.

Tersie

28-11-2007 09:33 PM

voyager3 wrote:
I have to admit that my vote for the Honor Oak was based entirely on the food rather than the service or atmosphere (which is probably a reflection of my priorities). On the service/atmosphere front, of the three, the Bishop would come first. I've found that the service at both the Honor Oak and Dolphin is a bit hit and miss, the Honor Oak is too sterile and brightly lit for me and there always seems to be too many children tearing about at the Dolphin to make for a relaxing meal. So think will also be giving AIO a try next time we fancy a sunday roast.

I am also a big fan of the Bishop, they have yorkshire pubs to die for - although someone I know went there recently and were not that impressed but it still remains my number one as I have never been dissapointed and I am a big roast fan. Another good spot is Upstairs in the EDT - fantastic dining room - roasts are between ?9 -?11. Tried the HO for sunday lunch when it first opened and it was not great but to be fair I have had really great meals and wine evenings there since so have to give it another whirl. Have tried the Rye Hotel and its sister pub the Mansion House and also the FHT and have not been at all excited with what they dished up at all.

A new kid on the block is The Amersham Arms opp New Cross Station, who apparently (according to some mates who live there) they have a great carvery for only a fiver on Sundays. ALSO Page 2 in Nunhead is having a refit and good source tells me they will be serving the best roasts in these parts so am very much looking forward to sampling that soon......Will also give All Inn One a go - I agree with some other posters that it is a c**p gimmicky name - to be honest it has put me off going to date.

nevermodern

28-11-2007 09:49 PM

Tersie, I've lived in FH for nearly two years and only went to All Inn One for the first time last month, and the fact that I thought it was an All Bar One type rubbishy chain thing was the main reason I hadn't been before. But it's a really nice pub - very relaxed and a nicely designed space. Can't think for the life of me why they renamed it so badly. Give it a go Smile

Mrjamon

28-11-2007 09:50 PM

Franklins hands down.
best local restaurant in all categories.

Les

03-12-2007 11:54 AM

It's just out of area, but try a brisk walk to the Dolphin in Sydenham. Mayow Road, off Perry Vale, goes straight to it.

I went there this weekend and I couldn't fault it. Terrific roast beef, plenty of vegetables, and a well kept bitter - Adnam's Broadside. The size of the main room means although it was busy on a Sunday, it wasn't cramped and there are plenty of tables.

Been meaning to go for ages, and I was impressed. The Honor Oak has some serious competition!

Tersie

03-12-2007 12:10 PM

Les wrote:
It's just out of area, but try a brisk walk to the Dolphin in Sydenham. Mayow Road, off Perry Vale, goes straight to it.

I went there this weekend and I couldn't fault it. Terrific roast beef, plenty of vegetables, and a well kept bitter - Adnam's Broadside. The size of the main room means although it was busy on a Sunday, it wasn't cramped and there are plenty of tables.

Been meaning to go for ages, and I was impressed. The Honor Oak has some serious competition!

Have been to the Dolphin before and it was so over run with kids running riot I found it quite unpleasant. However I might give it a go again. Went to The Amersham Arms opp New Cross Stn yesterday - cracking christmas roast special (carvery) and desert for ?7.50. If you get there between 12 -1 it is only ?5.00, or ?6 between 1-2pm highly recommended.

davidl

03-12-2007 12:14 PM

I don't think there's much to choose between the Honor Oak and the Dolphin (though since the HO is just round the corner it's likely to get my custom more often).

I had the roast at the HO yesterday and it was really very good. Plenty of food, cooked to a very high standard (though the beef could have been a bit more rare to my taste). Waitress service was great - the only fly in the ointment was when the barman brought drinks over (to a table of four people) he kept dumping them at the end of the table and wandering off.

Been to The Dolphin a few times - food's great, and the beer's not bad (was Timothy Taylor the last time I was there IIRC and it's a hell of a lot more reliable than the HO) but it seems to be a victim of its own success. And of the children running riot...

voyager3

03-12-2007 12:26 PM

Went to the Honor Oak yesterday for the second time and while the sunday lunch was still good, it didn't live up to the standards it set the first time. I couldn't fault the veg (carrots, broccoli and red cabbage) which were well cooked and tasty and I like the fact that they serve it separately so we could help ourselves. The crumble didn't disappoint and my mum really enjoyed the vegetarian option (a spinach pie/tart). Unfortunately, the beef this time was a tad well done and fatty (compared to the lovely pink meat we had before), the roasties were not quite as crispy and the Yorkshire pudding a bit flaccid. They were pretty busy though with several very large parties in and eating which may explain the dip in quality. Overall, I feel really lucky to have the Honor Oak round the corner and it is still very good value for money, but for me it looks like the search for a consistently great Sunday roast continues...

sue

04-12-2007 01:30 PM

mandy_playbox wrote:
I wish people would call it Foresters instead of All Inn One.

Or is it the Foresters Arms? It used to be.

Returning to the Foresters, surely "All in One" is like a brand/chain name while the Foresters Arms is the name of the pub, i.e. the local Wetherspoons pub is called the Capitol. Sometimes when someone new takes over a pub they want to change the name but they're not allowed to for historic or other reasons. A quick search of BT's directory enquiries reveals several "All in One"s (not necessarily pubs), but not one in Forest Hill, but the Foresters Arms comes up. Mind you, directory enquiries doesn't tend to be particularly up-to-date.

I vote for the Foresters Arms or just the Foresters as we call it. All in One is just stupid.

Ananas

10-12-2007 11:42 AM

I tried the Sunday roast at the All-Inn-One yesterday and it gets the thumbs up from me. I had the lamb and it was very nicely cooked, as were the veg and the gravy was tasty too. Top marks for the service as well. Am already looking forward to 'round two' next Sunday when we (whoever turns up) are having drinkies for SE23.com's 5th birthday in there! Yum! Thumbsup

blushingsnail

10-12-2007 02:23 PM

robwinton wrote:
might be, but I just spotted their add in the latest SE23 Living and there is no mention of Forresters at all (nor on their one page website http://www.allinnone.org.uk/)

The All Inn One website now has a whole page about 'The Foresters Bar'.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestions for good Sunday roast SLM73 4 6,113 03-05-2014 05:30 PM
Last Post: robbrockley