SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Best Sunday roast?
Ananas

27-11-2007 11:22 AM

I'm a big fan of Sunday roast but am a rubbish cook so I usually pop of to a pub for my 'fix'. I normally go to The Bishop in East Dulwich as I love the food, the atmosphere and the service. Next time I'd quite like to try somewhere more local though....is anyone able to recommend a pub in FH that does a good roast and has a nice atmosphere too? Many thanks Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bell

27-11-2007 11:35 AM

Hi - try the Foresters/All Inn One pub on Perry Vale - good, reasonably priced food.

robwinton

27-11-2007 11:39 AM

Looks like the All In One (AIO) is competing with The Honor Oak and The Lemon Grove for the title of "taste of the moment".

Not tried the AIO, but had the Honor Oak roast not long after they opened (rarely get out for Sunday Roast these days) and it was very good - the only trick might be finding a table if you get there too late.

I think the Dolphin (almost in the area and sadly missed off Michael's poll) does a pretty good one, but that again is hearsay.

nevermodern

27-11-2007 11:46 AM

The only pub I've tried for Sunday roast is the Dartmouth, and found it ok, although a little disapponting for the price. The Phoenix at Denmark Hill station does a lovely one (although further than your usual at The Bishop).

foodieluver

27-11-2007 11:47 AM

I have tried both AIO and Honor Oak. They are both really good.

mandy_playbox

27-11-2007 01:57 PM

The Foresters

Baboonery

27-11-2007 02:09 PM

I know it's out of area, but anyway: avoid The Mansion by the Gipsy Hill roundabout. Awful, overpriced, children-running-about-screaming hell, with slightly intrusive jazz.

nevermodern

27-11-2007 02:14 PM

Is there any other type of jazz?SmileSmile

nevermodern

27-11-2007 02:34 PM

I'm gonna have to try the Forester's Sunday lunch now. How long has the dining room been open there?

voyager3

27-11-2007 03:08 PM

Have tried Sunday lunch in the Bishop, Honor Oak and the Dolphin. Of the three, the Honor Oak is the winner for me. We got there at 12.30 to find most of the tables reserved so we opted to sit at one of the sofas, which was ok but made eating the roast a bit tricky. Was very impressed with the quality of the ingredients, portions and the cooking and the apple crumble we had for dessert was quite possibly the best I've ever had out. Mind you, I've only had Sunday Lunch once in the Honor Oak whereas I've had it twice in both the Dolphin and Bishop and found them both to be excellent on my first visit but slightly less good the second time. So think it is my duty to try the Honor Oak again to see if it is consistent...

Ananas

27-11-2007 04:11 PM

Thank you for the recommendations peeps - am definitely gonna try out the All-In-One (which, incidentally, is going to be my on-the-doorstep local from spring 2009) Smile

bell

27-11-2007 04:21 PM

Are you buying one of those flats that are being developed on the Finches site?

The actual restaurant in the Foresters has been open for about a month /6 weeks (ish), but the Sunday roasts have been round for longer.

Ananas

27-11-2007 04:26 PM

bell wrote:
Are you buying one of those flats that are being developed on the Finches site?

The actual restaurant in the Foresters has been open for about a month /6 weeks (ish), but the Sunday roasts have been round for longer.

Indeed I am!

voyager3

27-11-2007 04:31 PM

I have to admit that my vote for the Honor Oak was based entirely on the food rather than the service or atmosphere (which is probably a reflection of my priorities). On the service/atmosphere front, of the three, the Bishop would come first. I've found that the service at both the Honor Oak and Dolphin is a bit hit and miss, the Honor Oak is too sterile and brightly lit for me and there always seems to be too many children tearing about at the Dolphin to make for a relaxing meal. So think will also be giving AIO a try next time we fancy a sunday roast.

Nosey Gal

28-11-2007 11:02 AM

I've eaten twice at Honor Oak and both times it was superb - best Pub sunday roast i've ever had. Would recommend the Lamb Shank to you if its on the menu.

honoracorn

28-11-2007 02:05 PM

[quote=Ananas]
I'm a big fan of Sunday roast but am a rubbish cook so I usually pop of to a pub for my 'fix'. I normally go to The Bishop in East Dulwich as I love the food, the atmosphere and the service. Next time I'd quite like to try somewhere more local though....is anyone able to recommend a pub in FH that does a good roast and has a nice atmosphere too? Many thanks Smile
[/quote

Had Roast Beef at the Dartmouth Arms on Sunday. It was good in terms of size, flavour and cooking, but was only lukewarm which really let it down. My portion of Roast Beef at the Perry Hill was ridiculously large and the gravy was over-reduced sticky-sweet gunk. I've also been to Jam Circus in Crofton Park which wasn't great but am yet to try to Honor Oak or All in One.

mandy_playbox

28-11-2007 03:42 PM

I wish people would call it Foresters instead of All Inn One.

Or is it the Foresters Arms? It used to be.

robwinton

28-11-2007 03:48 PM

mandy_playbox wrote:
I wish people would call it Foresters instead of All Inn One.

Or is it the Foresters Arms? It used to be.

Well we would but the owners have changed the name so there's not much point is there?

nevermodern

28-11-2007 04:00 PM

Isn't the Forresters name still up, though?

http://fancyapint.com/pubs/pub3415.html

robwinton

28-11-2007 04:18 PM

might be, but I just spotted their add in the latest SE23 Living and there is no mention of Forresters at all (nor on their one page website http://www.allinnone.org.uk/)

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestions for good Sunday roast SLM73 4 6,115 03-05-2014 05:30 PM
Last Post: robbrockley